Pit must be removed from this game.

#61ViewtifulGene(Topic Creator)Posted 10/13/2012 12:16:11 PM
minjonator1234 posted...
ViewtifulGene posted...
fuzi11 posted...
Link did not origin in a videogame, he is based on a young Miyamoto.

Miyamoto used to be a racist?

No, he used to explore the forest near his home, and eventually went inside a cave after a few years of being afraid of whatever was inside it. That's how he got the idea for Legend of Zelda

Oh, OK. I'm still a little uneasy about Link from Link's Awakening though. In the land of his dreams there are no black people. And he seems to enjoy that dream quite a bit. But any racism in the Zelda series could've come from somebody besides Miyamoto.
---
"Once again, ViewtifulGene's logic blows minds and crushes dreams." -TheGamingGolfer
Official Batman of the SSB4 Board
#62ViewtifulGene(Topic Creator)Posted 10/13/2012 12:25:00 PM(edited)
The_Mighty_KELP posted...
ViewtifulGene posted...
Pit serves the comely Palutena.

Palutena is soooo hot.

Pit did not originate in a game

Your entire argument is basically "Pit is based on a character that was originally not from a game", correct? The problem with that is, the actual character we're talking about DID originate in a game. Who cares what he was based on or inspired by? Cupid and Pit are totally different. You can say that Donkey Kong was based on King Kong, or Star Fox is based on Star Wars, or Pikmin is based on Star Trek, or Kirby was based on vacuum cleaners, or whatever the heck you want. Regardless if it's true or not, it doesn't change the fact that the character only drew inspiration from somewhere and took on a life of its own.

He still didn't originate in a game. The origin of Pit is in mythology not games. Whether he took on a life of his own or not, his origin is unchanged.

I never said he didn't change later. I'm saying his origin is not in games. To disconnect Pit from Cupid is to ignore a substantial part of his origins even if the character distanced himself from his origins later on.
---
"Once again, ViewtifulGene's logic blows minds and crushes dreams." -TheGamingGolfer
#63SpunkySixPosted 10/13/2012 12:25:57 PM
Before I saw the TC's username, my first reaction was an honest to God flat what.
---
Tissues to the extreme!
#64ViewtifulGene(Topic Creator)Posted 10/13/2012 12:28:52 PM
SpunkySix posted...
Before I saw the TC's username, my first reaction was an honest to God flat what.

-Life is like a bowl of cherries.
-Cherries have pits.
-Cherries are best enjoyed when the pits are removed.
-Therefore life is best enjoyed without pits.

-Life is best enjoyed without pits.
-Pit is a character in Super Smash Brothers games.
-Playing Super Smash Brothers games is a part of some peoples' lives.
-Therefore life is best enjoyed by SSB fans if Pit is removed.
---
#65Catcher_FreemanPosted 10/13/2012 12:31:30 PM
Also, I always thought this was Pit's origin: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icarus

Nah, the Japanese title of the series doesn't reference Icarus. The Japanese title of the series is Light Myth: Palutena's Mirror.

And the fact that Pit is named after Cupid is pointed out by Viridi in the Japanese version of Uprising.
---
The mac daddy of the Pokemon Black 2 board.
#66dedekongPosted 10/13/2012 12:31:38 PM
ViewtifulGene posted...
My point is, the line between eligible and ineligible is arbitrary either way. Many characters that people say origonated in games owe their origins to something else. To claim otherwise defies the definition of origin.

Sakurai has set a standard. What know what he defines "originates in games" to mean based on his actions, and not taking the meaning to the extreme.

You aren't proving anything here.
#67ViewtifulGene(Topic Creator)Posted 10/13/2012 12:48:56 PM(edited)
dedekong posted...
ViewtifulGene posted...
My point is, the line between eligible and ineligible is arbitrary either way. Many characters that people say origonated in games owe their origins to something else. To claim otherwise defies the definition of origin.

Sakurai has set a standard. What know what he defines "originates in games" to mean based on his actions, and not taking the meaning to the extreme.

You aren't proving anything here.

I'm not taking the meaning to the extreme. I'm taking the meaning to its exact meaning. Excuse me for using a word properly.

or·i·gin
Noun:
The beginning of something's existence.
A person's social background or ancestry.
Synonyms:
source - genesis - beginning - provenance - derivation

I know what the word origin means. Sakurai added characters that did not originate in games. Therefore Sakurai contradicted himself. Therefore there is no proof that his rule is absolute. Assuming this is how Sakurai actually defines "originated in a game," Sakurai does not use the proper meaning of the word origin. Therefore it is unwise to hold him to the rule.

Also, just because he decided this way so far, it doesn't follow that he always will. By your logic we never would've outlawed slavery or switched from horses to automobiles. After all, you're implying that past decisions can never change.
---
#68albertojz356Posted 10/13/2012 1:19:26 PM
What about Peach? She is a fruit.
---
Pauline, Palutena, Medusa, Cptn. Syrup, Mike Jones, Andy, Lip, Eirika, Bayonetta, Mr. Peepers, Micaiah, Birdo, Anna, Lyn, & Shantae for SSB4!
#69GactivefyPosted 10/13/2012 1:23:28 PM
No fire emblem characters are allowed in period, because it is a tactical RPG, which are all inspired by chess, which is not a video game
---
"Stop it with the sexual innuendos, guys. This is a serious question." - Meteorites, R.I.P. 2005-2012
you will always be loved
#70XenogearsVIIPosted 10/13/2012 1:47:09 PM
Wow, what a bunch of fallacious literalism. All of your counter-arguments have done nothing but piss people off not because you're right, but because you are not a sound person. 2 = 5, etc...and there is no logic. Thank god you do not make video games.