Pit must be removed from this game.

#71dedekongPosted 10/13/2012 1:48:24 PM
ViewtifulGene posted...

Also, just because he decided this way so far, it doesn't follow that he always will.

Coincidentally, it also destroys the logic you built this topic around.
#72Dimented_OsPosted 10/13/2012 1:49:10 PM
That's right. He shall be removed...and replaced by Dimentio! <3
---
Leaving you with a demented aftertaste 99% of the time!
Spiderman+Dimentio=Spider-Dimentio! <3
#73dedekongPosted 10/13/2012 1:50:01 PM
Dimented_Os posted...

Prepare yourself for disappointment.
#74Dimented_OsPosted 10/13/2012 1:51:29 PM(edited)
dedekong posted...
Dimented_Os posted...

Prepare yourself for disappointment.

Oh, so sorry. I meant "should." I understand the improbability of it. But he DESERVES to be in over that stupid angel boy, that I am sure! Ah ha ha!
---
Leaving you with a demented aftertaste 99% of the time!
Spiderman+Dimentio=Spider-Dimentio! <3
#75ViewtifulGene(Topic Creator)Posted 10/13/2012 2:14:30 PM(edited)
dedekong posted...
ViewtifulGene posted...

Also, just because he decided this way so far, it doesn't follow that he always will.

Coincidentally, it also destroys the logic you built this topic around.

No it doesn't. My point was that the rule wasn't absolute. This reinforces the idea that the rule isn't absolute.

The actual definition of origin has remained unchanged throughout all the SSB games. Of course, if the definition of origin changed, then there very well could be a character added that defies our current definition of "originated in a game."

My argument stands.
---
"Once again, ViewtifulGene's logic blows minds and crushes dreams." -TheGamingGolfer
Official Batman of the SSB4 Board
#76XenogearsVIIPosted 10/13/2012 1:54:18 PM
ViewtifulGene posted...
Pit is ineligible for Super Smash Brothers. Sakurai said that he would not add any characters who didn't originate in video games. And Pit didn't originate in a video game.

Many people would argue that Pit originated in Kid Icarus, but that's not where Pit originated. Pit was based on Cupid, a figure from Greco-Roman mythology. This is most apparent if you look at his NES artwork, the way his name is spelled in Japanese, and his status as the bow-wielding, angelic servant of a beautiful goddess. The NES design for Pit does nothing to distance itself from the typical depiction of Cupid. He even collects hearts from people he shoots with his arrow. His name spelled out in Japanese is "Pitto," which is incredibly close to the Japanese Cupid or "Kyupiddo." And where Cupid serves the smokin' goddess Venus/Aphrodite, Pit serves the comely Palutena. Further reinforcing the ties to mythology, Palutena's name is a portmanteau of Pallas Athena, another Greek goddess. Surely the developers took some liberties with mythology. But the origins remain in mythology, not in a game. Pit did not originate in a video game. His origins lie in mythology.

Pit did not originate in a game, but he is playable in Brawl. This means one of two things: either Pit must be removed or Sakurai's alleged rule regarding eligibility is not completely enforceable.

They can do whatever they want with their video game characters, but you can't just by being a literal whore. Pit did indeed originate in a video game. How did he ever NOT originate from a game?! That is where the fallacy starts. You might as well just say 1 = 0 then. No matter how hard you scream and shout out to everyone with all your might, Pit does and always will be a cornerstone of videogames.

You should be banned from ever posting on this board.
#77ViewtifulGene(Topic Creator)Posted 10/13/2012 2:03:10 PM(edited)
XenogearsVII posted...

They can do whatever they want with their video game characters, but you can't just by being a literal whore. Pit did indeed originate in a video game. How did he ever NOT originate from a game?! That is where the fallacy starts.

Literal whore? Forgive me for using a word by its proper definition.

or·i·gin/
Noun:
The beginning of something's existence.
A person's social background or ancestry.
Synonyms:
source - genesis - beginning - provenance - derivation

You can't possibly say that Pit's existence began in video games when the character owes the beginning of his existence to Cupid. Before Pit there was Cupid. Pit traces the beginning of his existence to Cupid. Therefore Pit's origin lies in mythology not video games.

You might as well just say 1 = 0 then. No matter how hard you scream and shout out to everyone with all your might, Pit does and always will be a cornerstone of videogames.

Doesn't change the fact that he didn't originate in a game. The beginning of his existence lies in mythology because he was derived from Cupid.
---
"Once again, ViewtifulGene's logic blows minds and crushes dreams." -TheGamingGolfer
#78XenogearsVIIPosted 10/13/2012 2:03:51 PM
ViewtifulGene posted...
Cupid is ineligible for Super Smash Brothers. Sakurai said that he would not add any characters who didn't originate in video games. And Cupid didn't originate in a video game.

Many people would argue that Cupid originated in Kid Icarus, but that's not where Cupid originated. Cupid, a figure from Greco-Roman mythology. This is most apparent if you look at his NES artwork, the way his name is spelled in Japanese, and his status as the bow-wielding, angelic servant of a beautiful goddess. The NES design for Pit does nothing to distance itself from the typical depiction of Cupid. He even collects hearts from people he shoots with his arrow. His name spelled out in Japanese is "Pitto," which is incredibly close to the Japanese Cupid or "Kyupiddo." And where Cupid serves the smokin' goddess Venus/Aphrodite, Cupid serves the comely Palutena. Further reinforcing the ties to mythology, Palutena's name is a portmanteau of Pallas Athena, another Greek goddess. Surely the developers took some liberties with mythology. But the origins remain in mythology, not in a game. Cupid did not originate in a video game. His origins lie in mythology.

Cupid did not originate in a game, but he is playable in Brawl. This means one of two things: either Cupid must be removed or Sakurai's alleged rule regarding eligibility is not completely enforceable.

x = Cupid
y = Icarus
Cupid = Icarus, therefore:
x = y
--------------------------------------------
Set 2:
x = 1
y = 0
x = y, therefore:
1 = 0
#79ViewtifulGene(Topic Creator)Posted 10/13/2012 2:07:52 PM(edited)
XenogearsVII posted...

x = Cupid
y = Icarus
Cupid = Icarus, therefore:
x = y
--------------------------------------------
Set 2:
x = 1
y = 0
x = y, therefore:
1 = 0

Not my argument. I said he originated from Cupid. I didn't say he is Cupid. You made a strawman fallacy.
---
#80GactivefyPosted 10/13/2012 2:29:06 PM
so i walked into this topic

people still think TC is serious after over a day

---
"Stop it with the sexual innuendos, guys. This is a serious question." - Meteorites, R.I.P. 2005-2012
you will always be loved