This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Pit must be removed from this game.

#81dedekongPosted 10/13/2012 1:35:19 PM
ViewtifulGene posted...
Not my argument. I said he originated from Cupid. I didn't say he is Cupid. You made a strawman fallacy.

Interesting that you say he originated from cupid, but lack any proof aside from observations. Now clearly this is a joke topic, but are you really trying to defend your initial logic when it too is grasping at straws?

>_>
#82ViewtifulGene(Topic Creator)Posted 10/13/2012 1:53:07 PM(edited)
dedekong posted...
ViewtifulGene posted...
Not my argument. I said he originated from Cupid. I didn't say he is Cupid. You made a strawman fallacy.

Interesting that you say he originated from cupid, but lack any proof aside from observations. Now clearly this is a joke topic, but are you really trying to defend your initial logic when it too is grasping at straws?

>_>

It's no secret that KI draws on mythology. Unless you're telling me the names and character designs were pure coincidence and the developers never saw anything related to mythology before.

If it looks like a dog, barks like a dog, and chases frizbees like a dog, good luck proving that it's a cat.

Also, Satoru Osawa, the writer of KI said in a Japanese magazine interview that he based the NES game's story on Greek mythology.
---
"Once again, ViewtifulGene's logic blows minds and crushes dreams." -TheGamingGolfer
Official Batman of the SSB4 Board
#83dedekongPosted 10/13/2012 2:26:53 PM
ViewtifulGene posted...
dedekong posted...
ViewtifulGene posted...

>_>

It's no secret that KI draws on mythology. Unless you're telling me the names and character designs were pure coincidence and the developers never saw anything related to mythology before.

If it looks like a dog, barks like a dog, and chases frizbees like a dog, good luck proving that it's a cat.

Also, Satoru Osawa, the writer of KI said in a Japanese magazine interview that he based the NES game's story on Greek mythology.

Yes.. but where is it explicitly stated that Pit is based on Cupid?
#84SmallerRidleyPosted 10/13/2012 2:33:17 PM
dedekong posts in a Gene topic for God knows what reason. I was thinking about reading that topic.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g307/KSUkid/a38ba1b5.gif
---
Surely there's no problem with them putting me in Brawl, right?
It's ****ing satire, damnit. inb4dedekongsayssomethingarrogant
#85ViewtifulGene(Topic Creator)Posted 10/13/2012 2:38:03 PM(edited)
dedekong posted...
ViewtifulGene posted...
dedekong posted...
ViewtifulGene posted...

>_>

Yes.. but where is it explicitly stated that Pit is based on Cupid?

You mean to tell me that the developers decided to:
-base the game off Greek mythology
-Name the main character something that overlaps perfectly with a common Japanese pronunciation of Cupid
-Give the main character Cupid's appearance
-Give the main character Cupid's gimmicks of shooting arrows and producing hearts
AND
-Ignore the concept of a figure in Greek mythology that does all of the above?

Good luck proving that.
---
"Once again, ViewtifulGene's logic blows minds and crushes dreams." -TheGamingGolfer
#86dedekongPosted 10/13/2012 2:55:12 PM
ViewtifulGene posted...
-Name the main character something that overlaps perfectly with a common Japanese pronunciation of Cupid
-Give the main character Cupid's gimmicks of shooting arrows and producing hearts
AND

Good luck proving that.

So basically, it has never been stated that Pit is based on Cupid.
#87ViewtifulGene(Topic Creator)Posted 10/13/2012 3:01:53 PM(edited)
dedekong posted...
ViewtifulGene posted...
AND

Good luck proving that.

So basically, it has never been stated that Pit is based on Cupid.

The evidence states that Pit is based on Cupid.

Also,whether Pit is based on Cupid in particular or Greek mythology in general is irrelevant to my argument. Either way, his origin lies in something other than video games. The Kid Icarus game owes its origins to Greek mythology. Pit, as the main character of a game based on Greek mythology, owes his origins to Greek mythology because you can't divorce a character from the setting he was designed for. Even if you were to somehow prove that Pit is completely unrelated to Cupid, it wouldn't matter because he's still linked to mythology.
---
#88Hejiru206Posted 10/13/2012 3:03:01 PM(edited)
And Mario is a landlord, so he's out.

edit: On the Cupid debate, someone told me that his name is Pit because in Japanese Cupid sounds like Cu-pit or something like that. Plus it's not as obvious from looking at his modern look, but his old artwork makes him look a lot like Cupid.

---
"The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction has to make sense." -Tom Clancy
#89Anarchy612Posted 10/13/2012 3:04:22 PM
every character truely originated as an idea in someones mind, therefor no characters can be in the game and as such there will be no game...happy now?
---
if there is no flame war in your topic then it was ignored
PSN: Anarchy612
#90dedekongPosted 10/13/2012 3:07:25 PM
ViewtifulGene posted...
The evidence states that Pit is based on Cupid.

Also,whether Pit is based on Cupid in particular or Greek mythology in general is irrelevant to my argument. Either way, his origin lies in something other than video games. The Kid Icarus game owes its origins to Greek mythology. Pit, as the main character of a game based on Greek mythology, owes his origins to Greek mythology because you can't divorce a character from the setting he was designed for. Even if you were to somehow prove that Pit is completely unrelated to Cupid, it wouldn't matter because he's still linked to mythology.

I'm not saying Pit isn't or is based on Cupid. I am asking if it has ever been explicitly stated that he is. You are suggesting evidence states he is, but without it being from the horses mouth... it is just your own assumption.

Regardless, Pit originates from a video game because the character Pit (inspired by Cupid or not) is an original character whose existence began in a video game. For your logic to be apt here, Pit would have to literally be Cupid.