This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Pit must be removed from this game.

#91ViewtifulGene(Topic Creator)Posted 10/13/2012 3:08:03 PM
Anarchy612 posted...
every character truely originated as an idea in someones mind, therefor no characters can be in the game and as such there will be no game...happy now?

I didn't say there will be no game. I said that either Sakurai will honor is ineligibility rule by removing Pit or the ineligibility rule will not necessarily be enforced. Meaning that Sakurai can add or retain ineligible characters and break his own rule.

The title was used merely to get your attention.
---
"Once again, ViewtifulGene's logic blows minds and crushes dreams." -TheGamingGolfer
Official Batman of the SSB4 Board
#92SmallerRidleyPosted 10/13/2012 3:09:33 PM
The title was used merely to get your attention.

This is by far the most amusing comment in the topic.
---
Surely there's no problem with them putting me in Brawl, right?
It's ****ing satire, damnit.
#93ViewtifulGene(Topic Creator)Posted 10/13/2012 3:12:53 PM
dedekong posted...
ViewtifulGene posted...
The evidence states that Pit is based on Cupid.

Also,whether Pit is based on Cupid in particular or Greek mythology in general is irrelevant to my argument. Either way, his origin lies in something other than video games. The Kid Icarus game owes its origins to Greek mythology. Pit, as the main character of a game based on Greek mythology, owes his origins to Greek mythology because you can't divorce a character from the setting he was designed for. Even if you were to somehow prove that Pit is completely unrelated to Cupid, it wouldn't matter because he's still linked to mythology.

I'm not saying Pit isn't or is based on Cupid. I am asking if it has ever been explicitly stated that he is. You are suggesting evidence states he is, but without it being from the horses mouth... it is just your own assumption.

Regardless, Pit originates from a video game because the character Pit (inspired by Cupid or not) is an original character whose existence began in a video game. For your logic to be apt here, Pit would have to literally be Cupid.

False. He doesn't have to literally be Cupid. The product of an origin is not obligated to be an exact replica of the origin. I originate from my father and mother. I am not literally my mother or father. Pit being different from Cupid would not change the fact that he owes part of his origin to Cupid. Pit being the main character in the KI world that is different from Greek mythology does not change the fact that KI owes its origin to Greek mythology.

I don't know why you're even dwelling on the Cupid thing because my argument stands even if it was somehow proven that Pit wasn't based on Cupid. It was explicitly stated that the KI universe was based on Greek mythology. Guess what- PIt is a KI character. And you cannot divorce a character from his setting. Therefore Pit owes a part of his origin to mythology. Guess what, mythology is not a game. Guess what, Pit did not originate in a game. Before there was the idea for Pit or his setting, there was Greek mythology. You cannot validly say that the origins of Pit and KI are unrelated to Greek mythology because you would be ignoring the developer's explicitly-stated influences.
---
"Once again, ViewtifulGene's logic blows minds and crushes dreams." -TheGamingGolfer
#94dedekongPosted 10/13/2012 3:18:05 PM
You're confusing inspiration and origination. Which is exactly why the cupid/pit thing is the flaw in your logic.
#95ViewtifulGene(Topic Creator)Posted 10/13/2012 3:24:08 PM(edited)
dedekong posted...
You're confusing inspiration and origination. Which is exactly why the cupid/pit thing is the flaw in your logic.

You cannot divorce a fictional character from its inspiration. Before the character was created there was inspiration. Therefore the character's inspiration and origination are one and the same. The character did not exist anywhere until it was inspired. Therefore the character owes the beginning of its existence to the inspiration. Sounds like an origin if you ask me.
---
#96dedekongPosted 10/13/2012 3:22:24 PM
ViewtifulGene posted...
dedekong posted...

You cannot divorce a character from its inspiration. Before the character was created there was inspiration. Therefore the character's inspiration and origination are one and the same. The character did not exist anywhere until it was inspired. Therefore the character owes its existence to the inspiration. Sounds like an origin if you ask me.

Think about what you said previously: You originate from your parents. Taking out "originate" and putting in any version of "inspire" completely changes the statement.
#97ViewtifulGene(Topic Creator)Posted 10/13/2012 3:30:17 PM(edited)
dedekong posted...
ViewtifulGene posted...
dedekong posted...

You cannot divorce a character from its inspiration. Before the character was created there was inspiration. Therefore the character's inspiration and origination are one and the same. The character did not exist anywhere until it was inspired. Therefore the character owes its existence to the inspiration. Sounds like an origin if you ask me.

Think about what you said previously: You originate from your parents. Taking out "originate" and putting in any version of "inspire" completely changes the statement.

Moot point. I'm not a fictional character. For fictional characters, the origin and inspiration are one and the same. I never said they were one and the same for all phenomena. Indeed, some phenomena could've easily originated without anything resembling inspiration. There was no inspiration when I took a piss today. But sure enough, that piss originated from what got channeled into my bladder.

If I wanted that statement to apply to all beings I would've used a word other than character. I figured the word character alone should've been sufficient to say that I'm not talking about all phenomena.
---
#98dedekongPosted 10/13/2012 3:35:23 PM
ViewtifulGene posted...

Moot point. I'm not a fictional character. For fictional characters, the origin and inspiration are one and the same. I never said they were one and the same for all phenomena. Indeed, some phenomena could've easily originated without anything resembling inspiration. There was no inspiration when I took a piss today. But sure enough, that piss originated from what got channeled into my bladder.

If I wanted that statement to apply to all beings I would've used a word other than character. I figured the word character alone should've been sufficient to say that I'm not talking about all phenomena.

You're contradicting yourself. Why consider it a moot point, if you used it as an example yourself?

Your logic is beginning to collapse onto itself.
#99SpunkySixPosted 10/13/2012 3:36:42 PM
Wait, so only sides and the top are good for KOs now? That'd be totally lame, sorry Gene.
---
Tissues to the extreme!
#100GactivefyPosted 10/13/2012 3:42:23 PM
i actually wouldn't mind too much if kos off the sides of stages were removed, combos off wallbounces sound fun
---
"Stop it with the sexual innuendos, guys. This is a serious question." - Meteorites, R.I.P. 2005-2012
you will always be loved