I used to think Samus was a dude.

#21lenmuttPosted 11/7/2012 6:30:40 AM(edited)
Hejiru206 posted...
lenmutt posted...
Hejiru206 posted...
The first time I played Smash Bros as a kid my first question was "Who's that robot?"

Later I got Metroid Fusion and fell in love with the series. I now have every game.

you never saw her shock animation like everyone had a skeleton and she and a green female figure

I realized she was a woman pretty soon after I got the game, due to the character bios. I never paid attention to the skeletons.

Wait, "everyone"? What did Kirby and Jigglypuff look like?

they have super tiny skeletons i think will look for you

EDIT oh kirby is just black with eyeballs when shocked same for puff but she has crying eyes
---
Izzy supports Masked man and won't change her sig till he gets in smash, and I too think Masked man is pretty cool!
#22Kagemusha_OulmnPosted 11/7/2012 7:37:00 AM
I beat the first Metroid way back when it was new, but not quick enough to learn that she was female. I didn't find out about Justin Bailey until after playing Super Metroid, wherein it was obvious she was female (every time you died, her suit would explode and she would give a very feminine death cry).

This was back before the internets (and, I guess, before I subscribed to Nintendo Power) -- nowadays, anything remotely surprising about a game becomes common knowledge before it's even released in the States.
---
Series that desperately need another game:
LoZ:FS, BoF, Chrono and MM:L (You were so close, my friend!)
#23eellliiootttPosted 11/7/2012 8:30:38 AM
I used to think she was a robot, but not for very long.
---
Not changing this sig until Masked Man or Porky is playable in a Smash bros game
Official President of The Secret Board
#24IlIlIlIlIlIlIlPosted 11/7/2012 8:32:30 AM
I admit I had to read her bio when 64 first came out. And then I played Super Metroid.
---
|N|M|E|
#25HylianCyndaquil(Topic Creator)Posted 11/7/2012 1:03:06 PM
I always thought she was a dude in some robotic suit. My brother owned SSB64 & I don't ever recall looking through the manual lol my brother wanted me to like stay out of his Nintendo stuff back then :P

But seriously, I feel bad because I never knew about the Metroid games till the very early 2000s .___.; I didn't even know about the one on the SNES. xD

I never even payed attention to the characters getting shocked either haha.
---
Not changing until a new Star Fox game is announced. (started 8/03/12)
SSBB is better than Melee. Nuff said
#26HeaderHogPosted 11/7/2012 1:11:13 PM
I remember thinking through Melee, because of how I never saw her face, and how the announcer called her "SUMMUS", I never really knew she was a chick.

(Me seeing on the E3 2006 video Samus blasting her armor off to reveal a ponytailed woman wearing tight blue suit.)
0_0 I KNOW NOTHING OF THIS WORLD ANYMORE!!
---
I fell off a cliff and into an endless hole. WHADDAYA MEAN I DON'T DIE FROM THAT?!
#27koopabros64Posted 11/7/2012 1:42:32 PM
I used to think that Samus was a robot.
---
The Platypus, the reason games like spore exist.
#28PlasmaCannonPosted 11/7/2012 2:21:54 PM
After beating the original Metroid that's how I found out which was awesome since I've always enjoyed playing as female characters even back then as a kid. I then wondered why the instruction book said otherwise until I learned that it was a translation error.
---
Don't forget. Always, somewhere, someone is fighting for you. As long as you remember her, you are not alone.
#29HyperRobotoPosted 11/7/2012 2:31:34 PM
i use to think samus was a guy till metriod prime one when she took off her helmet then i was like A GIRL AWESOME!
#30harvestmoonmikePosted 11/7/2012 3:36:45 PM
EarthLord_CJ posted...
harvestmoonmike posted...
It actually was a turn-off back then. Video games were male dominated, and playing as a girl wasn't cool (we were kids give us a break)... So I actually held off playing the Metroid gaems with that being one of my reasons... I know, I'm so ashamed.

You can still redeem yourself!

OT: Smash 64, either through the manual (can't remember if she was referred as such), the character bios, or from the fact that her rather slim figure shows when she's shocked by Pikachu.

Oh I did, my first real Metroid experience was Metroid Prime, and now it's one of my favorite franchises from Nintendo.
---
My SSB4 roster prediction/wishlist: generous: http://i.imgur.com/NhWBo.jpg
reduced: http://i.imgur.com/rsqtJ.jpg?1