This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

If Waluigi is playable, will the bar be LOWERED?

#11dedekong(Topic Creator)Posted 11/9/2012 5:08:20 PM
epik_fail1 posted...
someone watched too much South Park... I must admit I kinda agree with you though.

I figured someone would say this.

LegendofLegaia posted...
Not that I support Waluigi, but can you really say that Sakurai has high standards after he's added Dr. Mario and Pichu?

Dr. Mario has sold well over 10 million copies, and is one of Nintendo's most iconic puzzle games, after Tetris.

Pichu was one of the most popular pokemon at the time, featured heavily in the anime and movies up till this day, and was personally chosen by Masuda because it was his favorite pokemon (replaced by Victini, recently).

Those are both high standards.
#12Mister_LuigiPosted 11/9/2012 5:08:39 PM
I actually want Waluigi added, but I'm almost certain that if he IS added, he will spark the most controversy out of every 1st party character that could potentially be added, considering how greatly split the support is for him.
---
A Let's Play group that I've joined! Feel free to take a look if you're interested:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MarioPartyCrashers
#13GohansephirothPosted 11/9/2012 5:09:04 PM
LegendofLegaia posted...
Not that I support Waluigi, but can you really say that Sakurai has high standards after he's added Dr. Mario and Pichu?

They are gone though now, we all know they were rushed for melee. I think they do need to make sure they dont scrape the bottom of the nintendo barrel for characters, hell IMO mario doesnt need anymore yet thats what most people on here some to keep talking about. Theres a few here and there from already represented series that could fit without lowering the bar, but for the most part it would be better if they tried to introduce as many new series as they could, and main characters as possible.
---
"We're gonna be fighting the biggest beast of all - the times"~Big Boss
#14ThatPersonGuyPosted 11/9/2012 5:09:30 PM
dedekong posted...
Charizard18 posted...
I don't KNOW. Still better than DARK Pit, in my opinion, but I welcome any NEWCOMERS. Even Waluigi and Dark Pit.

Dark Pit is more important than Waluigi. He is basically the Wolf of the Kid Icarus series. >_>

If Wolf was a bad and generic anti hero, yes.

Uh... MUFFINS ARE AWESOME!
---
Saki, Isaac, Lip, Lyn, and Little Mac for SSB4!
Cailou. "Cuteness never looked this badass" - Chuggaconroy.
#15NewMoonShadowPosted 11/9/2012 5:11:26 PM
dedekong posted...
Looking at any particular smash roster, you can see that Sakurai has some standards when picking who gets to be playable. The characters that have been playable are iconic, non-filler, and play a major significant position in their series... and possibly Nintendo as a whole.

You've got to be kidding...

If Sakurai just starts putting generic and filler characters in, then who knows how low the standards for Smash will go. Sakurai has to uphold some sort of high standard for his selections, or else the Smash series will be no better than Playstation All Stars.. which is just embarrassing.

Smash has already done worse than having two versions of the same character. They had two of the same character who played exactly the same except for minor speed/power tweaks.

Not to mention that with 36 characters Brawl still only represents 16 franchises, while PSASBR represents 19 franchises with 20 characters.

So if characters like Waluigi (filler, generic, and/or unimportant) are made playable, will the bar be lowered?

Dr. Mario and ROB already broke the bar, it can't go any lower.
#16dedekong(Topic Creator)Posted 11/9/2012 5:11:38 PM
ThatPersonGuy posted...

If Wolf was a bad and generic anti hero, yes.

Uh... MUFFINS ARE AWESOME!

I'm sure Sakurai thinks Dark Pit is "bad" and a "generic anti-hero".

Oh wait...
#17Kooky_von_KoopaPosted 11/9/2012 5:17:43 PM
LegendofLegaia posted...

Dr. Mario is the main protagonist of an entire puzzle series. Besides Pikachu and Mewtwo, there is really no iconic Pokemon.Perhaps Lucario's popularity, but Diddy Kong speaks of Brawl's roster, not Melee's.
---
I am not changing this signature until Mewtwo/Dr. Mario is confirmed for Smash 4.
Jesus is the best ever! (B)uilt (O)n (S)elf (S)uccess.
#18lenmuttPosted 11/9/2012 5:18:10 PM
yes
#19dedekong(Topic Creator)Posted 11/9/2012 5:21:26 PM
NewMoonShadow posted...
You've got to be kidding...

Smash has already done worse than having two versions of the same character. They had two of the same character who played exactly the same except for minor speed/power tweaks.

Not to mention that with 36 characters Brawl still only represents 16 franchises, while PSASBR represents 19 franchises with 20 characters.

Dr. Mario and ROB already broke the bar, it can't go any lower.

PSASBR should be embarassed to have characters like Dante (from a game yet to be released), and Big Daddy (from a game that was Xbox exclusive for some time), not to mention all of the characters on their who aren't even iconic. However, yes it is good that they are representing a lot more franchises.

I already commented on Dr. Mario, and if you think ROB isn't iconic... that just shows your lack of knowledge of Nintendo history.
#20NewMoonShadowPosted 11/9/2012 5:27:35 PM(edited)
Kooky_von_Koopa posted...
Dr. Mario is the main protagonist of an entire puzzle series.

He's Mario. We do not need a Mario to represent every Mario sub-series.

We did not need Dr. Mario any more than we need Mario Party Mario or Mario Kart Mario.

PSASBR should be embarassed to have characters like Dante (from a game yet to be released),

they wanted the original Dante, and Capcom asked them to use the new one instead. He still represents the Devil May Cry series, even if it's a reboot version.

and Big Daddy (from a game that was Xbox exclusive for some time),

Big Daddy in PSASBR is no worse than Snake or Sonic in Brawl.

not to mention all of the characters on their who aren't even iconic. However, yes it is good that they are representing a lot more franchises.

"iconic" is such a loaded phrase at this point I don't even want to address it.

I already commented on Dr. Mario, and if you think ROB isn't iconic... that just shows your lack of knowledge of Nintendo history.

the only thing ROB is iconic of is Nintendo's eagerness to rip people off with ridiculous gimmicks.