This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Could this game use rivals?

#1SalsaSavantPosted 11/19/2012 8:44:43 AM
A lot of fighting games have rival systems, so maybe Smash could do it?

I don't know if that would work though. The characters are so diverse that only a few easy rivalries are there.

I mean, who would be Luigi's rival? Captain Falcon?

Still, it might be something they could do, and would be interesting to see who faces who.
---
This is a sig.
People who agree: 11. People who Disagree:5
#2eellliiootttPosted 11/19/2012 9:06:12 AM
SalsaSavant posted...

I mean, who would be Luigi's rival? Captain Falcon?

Waluigi
---
Not changing this sig until Masked Man or Porky is playable in a Smash bros game
Official President of The Secret Board
#3ViewtifulGenePosted 11/19/2012 9:15:10 AM
Some fighting game rival pairs don't make much sense either.
---
"Once again, ViewtifulGene's logic blows minds and crushes dreams." -TheGamingGolfer
"Supez teh king" -dedekong
#4Kooky_von_KoopaPosted 11/19/2012 9:27:48 AM
Those I can think on the top of my head:

Mario and Bowser
Link and Ganondorf
Luigi and Wario
Marth and Meta Knight
Kirby and King Dedede
Mewtwo and Lucario
Roy and Ike

And I dont know what else >_>
---
I am not changing this signature until Mewtwo/Dr. Mario is confirmed for Smash 4.
Jesus is the best ever! (B)uilt (O)n (S)elf (S)uccess.
#5Knowledge_KingPosted 11/19/2012 9:49:00 AM
No that's just blatant copying. Besides there are already inherent rivalries from people in the same series or who play alike. Just leave it at that.
---
http://www.reverbnation.com/intellectualquota
http://www.datpiff.com/Intellectual-Quota-Intellectual-World-mixtape.287780.html
#6WellKnownNomadPosted 11/20/2012 4:57:36 PM
its not a bad idea and even PSASBR is using it, could make for nice interactions between different characters and all, something interesting before the main boss fight between Master Hand (as well as Crazy Hand depending how fast you were playing), my ideas for rivals, just based on characters that are most likely still in from Brawl

Mario and Sonic
Bowser and Gannondorf
Link and Marth
Zelda and Peach
Wario and King Dedede
Ness and Pokemon Trainer
Captain Falcon and Fox
Samus and Snake
Olimar and Kirby
---
"I like to find the fun in games, because not every game has the same audience."- Mark Bussler
#7VictoryBadguyPosted 11/20/2012 4:59:47 PM
If the game does get rivals, they should pair up characters from different series. Why have Mario rivaled against Bowser when they fight against each other in damn near every Mario game? They would do well to spice it up.
---
Soul Calibur V: Cervantes, Nightmare /// Project M: Ganondorf, Ike, Lucario
Persona 4 Arena: Labrys, Yukiko. May be switching out Yukiko for Aigis
#8SpunkySixPosted 11/20/2012 5:01:12 PM
I still say a matchup system where, say, Mario does extra damage to Bowser, Wario and DK but less to Yoshi, Peach and Luigi would be fun. No defined rivals, but alignment and personal relationships are taken into account.
---
Tissues to the extreme!
Mr. Bad's, got it good, but it's not his neighborhood...
#9VictoryBadguyPosted 11/20/2012 5:19:39 PM
SpunkySix posted...
I still say a matchup system where, say, Mario does extra damage to Bowser, Wario and DK but less to Yoshi, Peach and Luigi would be fun. No defined rivals, but alignment and personal relationships are taken into account.

That's an absolutely wretched idea. Match-ups are already imbalanced enough as is. Why complicate the process further? That'd just create even more of a chance for broken and worthless characters to exist.
---
Soul Calibur V: Cervantes, Nightmare /// Project M: Ganondorf, Ike, Lucario
Persona 4 Arena: Labrys, Yukiko. May be switching out Yukiko for Aigis
#10SpunkySixPosted 11/20/2012 5:24:38 PM
VictoryBadguy posted...
SpunkySix posted...

That's an absolutely wretched idea. Match-ups are already imbalanced enough as is. Why complicate the process further? That'd just create even more of a chance for broken and worthless characters to exist.

Yeah, I hate options too. It's not like on/off switches have been implemented successfully multiple times in this series.
---
Tissues to the extreme!
Mr. Bad's, got it good, but it's not his neighborhood...