This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why does Japan's popularity matter to Sakurai?

#1SpunkySixPosted 11/28/2012 11:12:32 PM
Smash Bros sells better in NA than it does in Japan. Why, then, would he place such an emphasis on what Japan wants? Japan only characters, only caring about Japanese polls... I get that it's his home country, but as a man charged with making important decisions relating to this game, I'd expect him to be more professional and less biased about things.

Where you and your games come from mean nothing if that isn't where the majority of profits are coming from as well.
---
Tissues to the extreme!
Stay spunky.
#2MichaelollPosted 11/28/2012 11:14:20 PM
80 percent of the people who mention popularity use it in waluigi's defense.

10 percent of the rest are clueless or trolls.

welcome aboard to the other 10 percent spunky! x]

lol jokes but yeah i've always wandered that...
#3DorotimusWitikPosted 11/28/2012 11:16:53 PM
Because he's Japanese. When it comes to things you take pride in, you tend to care more about what people you actually interact with on a day to day basis have to say about it than numbers that are floating around. Also Japanese people (in general, culturally. Not as a quality of race or anything silly like that) are just somewhat nationalistic... or as we say in the U.S, in regards to our own nationalism, patriotic.
#4SpunkySix(Topic Creator)Posted 11/28/2012 11:21:40 PM
DorotimusWitik posted...
Because he's Japanese. When it comes to things you take pride in, you tend to care more about what people you actually interact with on a day to day basis have to say about it than numbers that are floating around. Also Japanese people (in general, culturally. Not as a quality of race or anything silly like that) are just somewhat nationalistic... or as we say in the U.S, in regards to our own nationalism, patriotic.

Then that is unprofessional and he is unfit to be making business decisions on Nintendo's behalf.
---
Tissues to the extreme!
Stay spunky.
#5DorotimusWitikPosted 11/28/2012 11:31:41 PM
Are you some kind of troll or something? Sakurai is a game designer. Being a demographics-whore isn't in his job description. It isn't like Nintendo needs it anyway since those of us in the U.S. already like the games so much. You know though, when something is in high demand they can usually pressure the development team to horn it in.
#6SpunkySix(Topic Creator)Posted 11/28/2012 11:38:28 PM
DorotimusWitik posted...
Are you some kind of troll or something? Sakurai is a game designer. Being a demographics-whore isn't in his job description. It isn't like Nintendo needs it anyway since those of us in the U.S. already like the games so much. You know though, when something is in high demand they can usually pressure the development team to horn it in.

Yes, I am a troll for suggesting that Sakurai gives NA equal or more of a say than Japan in what goes into this game as that is the region more profits are made in, it's not like it's basic economics that appealing to a minority market while largely ignoring the majority is a terrible idea or anything.

I also like how you imply that Japanese gamers don't like the games as much as NA gamers do. And that is why only Japanese polls matter.
---
Tissues to the extreme!
Stay spunky.
#7Traptin3daysPosted 11/29/2012 12:30:08 AM(edited)
Yet you forgot about us in Europe. We're always forgotten by NA :(
---
Dimentio shall rise like a chubby boy in a McDonald's!
#8FZeroMasterPosted 11/29/2012 1:43:06 AM
SpunkySix posted...
DorotimusWitik posted...

Then that is unprofessional and he is unfit to be making business decisions on Nintendo's behalf.

I thought that became obvious when he put 2 starting playable Kirby characters in Brawl.
#9EarthLord_CJPosted 11/29/2012 1:48:57 AM(edited)
Traptin3days posted...

Nobody seems to care about Europe/Pal releases in the grand scheme of things when it comes to considering how well a game sells.
Especially those made in Japan, it seems. >__>;
---
http://i.imgur.com/qgqVy.jpg
"Don't wanna know...where the sinners go..."
#10Nintendo_Fan128Posted 11/29/2012 2:56:57 AM
Traptin3days posted...

What are you complaining about? I'm in Latin America :P
---
My random webcomic with a weird name! www.vinigortonioenglish.weebly.com