Sakurai's Character Selection Method...

#1sonicsonicPosted 12/2/2012 3:25:33 AM
Being the keen Smash Bros'er I am I always try to keep up to date with the latest news. Looking back through all the games I'm sure Sakurai just picks names out of a hat to get a rep. Some of the reasons for him not including other characters makes no sense.

For Wario on SSBM, it was because he didn't want too make him a stronger Mario clone... yet puts DR. in and he is far better.

I think there is method to his madness, but the guy seems to give the strangest reasons for not including characters in a mascot based fighter.
#2Catcher_FreemanPosted 12/2/2012 3:30:07 AM
For Wario on SSBM, it was because he didn't want too make him a stronger Mario clone... yet puts DR

Sakurai had to add clones to pad out the roster.

Mario had to have a heavier clone. Sakurai felt that Wario deserved better, so he added Dr. Mario instead.
---
Swagodile's alt.
#3LegendofLegaiaPosted 12/2/2012 7:31:12 AM
Catcher_Freeman posted...
For Wario on SSBM, it was because he didn't want too make him a stronger Mario clone... yet puts DR

Mario had to have a heavier clone. Sakurai felt that Wario deserved better, so he added Dr. Mario instead.

And then he put Ganondorf in as a Captain Falcon clone :l

The man is nuts.
---
Ninten/Giygas/Porky/Masked Man_Ridley_Black Shadow_Little Mac_Animal Crosser_Toad/Bowser Jr._Mega Man_Mewtwo_Palutena and Terra FOR SMASH! / = Either one
#4Dustof_DryBonesPosted 12/2/2012 11:03:53 AM
LegendofLegaia posted...

The man is nuts.

Ganondorf was a one-shot villain at the time. It's actually pretty reasonable if you think about it.
---
Hello, kind friend. =)
#5LegendofLegaiaPosted 12/2/2012 11:08:12 AM
Dustof_DryBones posted...
LegendofLegaia posted...

The man is nuts.

Ganondorf was a one-shot villain at the time. It's actually pretty reasonable if you think about it.

He was connected to Ganon, who had already been the villain of the series before.
---
Ninten/Giygas/Porky/Masked Man_Ridley_Black Shadow_Little Mac_Animal Crosser_Toad/Bowser Jr._Mega Man_Mewtwo_Palutena and Terra FOR SMASH! / = Either one
#6LegendofLegaiaPosted 12/2/2012 11:23:23 AM
Plus, that doesn't explain why Ganondorf was still a clone in Brawl.
---
#7UberPyro64Posted 12/2/2012 11:27:04 AM(edited)
LegendofLegaia posted...

Sakurai being too lazy to change it. Which also explains my theory of why Toad will never be playable. But yeah he should have had a unique moveset from the start.
---
My SSB4 Roster: http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/4340/4549charactersroster.png
#8Dustof_DryBonesPosted 12/2/2012 11:27:03 AM
LegendofLegaia posted...

Maybe that's what happens when you focus more on adding newcomers and stages rather than improving gameplay. Sakurai has set out to combat this issue in particular for this Smash.
---
Hello, kind friend. =)
#9Kooky_von_KoopaPosted 12/2/2012 11:28:28 AM
Dustof_DryBones posted...
LegendofLegaia posted...

The man is nuts.

Ganondorf is Ganon in a different, "human" form. Ganondorf himself transforms into his pig form in the end of Ocarina.
---
I am not changing this signature until Mewtwo/Dr. Mario is confirmed for Smash 4.
Jesus is the best ever! (B)uilt (O)n (S)elf (S)uccess.
#10LegendofLegaiaPosted 12/2/2012 11:35:11 AM
UberPyro64 posted...
LegendofLegaia posted...

Sakurai being too lazy to change it. Which also explains my theory of why Toad will never be playable. But yeah he should have had a unique moveset from the start.

Considering how Sakurai seems to be focusing more on gameplay for this game, I don't see how that Toad theory of your's make sense.

He doesn't even have to make it Toadsworth, he could literally just change the color of it. Maybe make it player 2 from Wario's Woods?
---