It amazes me that...

#31ViewtifulGenePosted 12/6/2012 4:38:48 PM(edited)
Dustof_DryBones posted...
ViewtifulGene posted...
I wouldn't know and you wouldn't know either. All we know is that several years ago Sakurai thought it would be difficult based on his thoughts at the time. There is no proof whether or not Sakurai still thinks that.

Well at least I'm going off of something that Sakurai actually said at one point. You know, rather than just hoping for the improbable best. >_>

The absence of proof is not the proof of absence. It's not proven improbable just because there was nothing explicitly said on the supporting side.

An old quote is not proof unless you can prove that the speaker still believes that.
---
"Once again, ViewtifulGene's logic blows minds and crushes dreams." -TheGamingGolfer
"Supez teh king" -dedekong
#32OblivionEssencePosted 12/6/2012 4:40:16 PM
It amazes me that people still think size is a legitimate argument against Ridley being possible.

I think the issue is that Ridley being resized wouldn't be faithful to his character. Bowser has been changing sizes for years.

Kirby is 6 inches tall but his portrayal is faithful to his games. In comparison to Dedede they're basically proportional to their heights in their games. It doesn't matter that 6 inches only comes up to Samus' ankle because Samus' universe is not Kirby's universe, which means that Kirby doesn't need to respect height measurements relative to Samus.

In other words, their portrayal in Brawl respects their in-game universe and that's what matters. Ridley being only slightly taller than Samus would not at all be respectful to the Metroid universe because Ridley has always been considerably larger than Samus, with the exception of the original Metroid, and we can chalk that up to hardware limitations.
---
"Roy WILL be in SSBB." - OblivionEssence 8/18/06 | Week: 0
http://i44.tinypic.com/mr7pqt.gif http://i40.tinypic.com/2nvflp3.gif
#33MottmanPosted 12/6/2012 4:45:11 PM
OblivionEssence posted...
In other words, their portrayal in Brawl respects their in-game universe and that's what matters.

Charizard and Mewtwo were 4-5 times taller than Pikachu in Smash Bros? Really? Because that's the only way that THEIR portrayals in Melee and Brawl would respect their in-game universe, and that's according to OFFICIAL Pokedex height entries. There goes that theory.

When will people learn that there is not a single valid argument that can be made to support the idea that Ridley is too big for Smash Bros?
---
My name is Mottman, and I approve this message.
"Champions don't whine, they win!" - Vangarre from Xenoblade Chronicles
#34bloodmage3Posted 12/6/2012 4:45:24 PM
It amazes me that people still think size is a legitimate argument against Ridley being possible.

I think the issue is that Ridley being resized wouldn't be faithful to his character. Bowser has been changing sizes for years.

Kirby is 6 inches tall but his portrayal is faithful to his games. In comparison to Dedede they're basically proportional to their heights in their games. It doesn't matter that 6 inches only comes up to Samus' ankle because Samus' universe is not Kirby's universe, which means that Kirby doesn't need to respect height measurements relative to Samus.

In other words, their portrayal in Brawl respects their in-game universe and that's what matters. Ridley being only slightly taller than Samus would not at all be respectful to the Metroid universe because Ridley has always been considerably larger than Samus, with the exception of the original Metroid, and we can chalk that up to hardware limitations.

2 heads taller then Samus then?
---
They're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, and they're behind us. They can't get away this time!
#35ViewtifulGenePosted 12/6/2012 4:47:18 PM

Yes, this series was very respectful to the character of Mewtwo when he was easily K.O'd by Jigglplypuff.
Yes, this series was very respectful to the character of Wario when his moveset had nothing to do with his established moveset in Wario Land games.
Yes, this series was very respectful to the character of Link and Zelda when it allowed them to beat each other up.
Yes, this series was very respectful to the characters of Pikachu and Charizard when they made the Pokemon with the lower Speed stat move and attack faster.
Yes, this series was very respectful to the character of Ganondorf when he received a moveset completely unrelated to his games.
Yes, this series was very respectful to the character of Wolf when he received a design that was never used in any of his games.
---
"Once again, ViewtifulGene's logic blows minds and crushes dreams." -TheGamingGolfer
#36OblivionEssencePosted 12/6/2012 4:55:15 PM
I'm specifically referring to their character models. Of course there are going to be moveset and personality discrepancies for this game to even work, but as a rule Smash Bros has been respectful to every in-game universe in terms of modeling characters.
---
"Roy WILL be in SSBB." - OblivionEssence 8/18/06 | Week: 0
http://i44.tinypic.com/mr7pqt.gif http://i40.tinypic.com/2nvflp3.gif
#37ViewtifulGenePosted 12/6/2012 4:57:50 PM
I'm specifically referring to their character models. Of course there are going to be moveset and personality discrepancies for this game to even work, but as a rule Smash Bros has been respectful to every in-game universe in terms of modeling characters.

Explain Wolf's design that came out of nowhere. Explain the size discrepancies for Pikachu and Charizard. Explain why Olimar isn't much smaller than Mario when official materials say Mario is at least five feet tall in human terms and Olimar is the size of a quarter in human terms.
---
#38MottmanPosted 12/6/2012 4:59:05 PM

And again I reiterate, if they were respectful to every in-game universe in terms of character model size, Charizard would dwarf Pikachu. Mewtwo would be even worse. SIZE. DOES. NOT. MATTER. IN. SMASH. BROS.
---
My name is Mottman, and I approve this message.
"Champions don't whine, they win!" - Vangarre from Xenoblade Chronicles
#39Dustof_DryBonesPosted 12/6/2012 4:59:42 PM
ViewtifulGene posted...
Dustof_DryBones posted...
ViewtifulGene posted...
I wouldn't know and you wouldn't know either. All we know is that several years ago Sakurai thought it would be difficult based on his thoughts at the time. There is no proof whether or not Sakurai still thinks that.

Well at least I'm going off of something that Sakurai actually said at one point. You know, rather than just hoping for the improbable best. >_>

The absence of proof is not the proof of absence. It's not proven improbable just because there was nothing explicitly said on the supporting side.

An old quote is not proof unless you can prove that the speaker still believes that.

This is getting downright stupid. It is more unreasonable to conclude that Sakurai has changed his mind on the subject given what we know. I'm not saying it's impossible or that it necessarily won't happen, but you're definitely in the wrong here for remaining so optimistic about Ridley's chances.
---
Hello, kind friend. =)
#40SpunkySixPosted 12/6/2012 5:02:05 PM
It amazes me that people honestly STILL think that size would be an issue for Ridley.
---
Tissues to the extreme!
So much... shiny goomba grinding...