It amazes me that...

#41LegendofLegaiaPosted 12/6/2012 5:03:57 PM(edited)
OblivionEssence posted...
I'm specifically referring to their character models. Of course there are going to be moveset and personality discrepancies for this game to even work, but as a rule Smash Bros has been respectful to every in-game universe in terms of modeling characters.

ROB was in the Pikmin universe and Olimar was about as big as his eye.
---
Ninten/Giygas/Porky/Masked Man_Ridley_Black Shadow_Little Mac_Animal Crosser_Toad/Bowser Jr._Mega Man_Mewtwo_Palutena and Terra FOR SMASH! / = Either one
#42ViewtifulGenePosted 12/6/2012 5:04:00 PM
Dustof_DryBones posted...
ViewtifulGene posted...
ViewtifulGene posted...
I wouldn't know and you wouldn't know either. All we know is that several years ago Sakurai thought it would be difficult based on his thoughts at the time. There is no proof whether or not Sakurai still thinks that.

Well at least I'm going off of something that Sakurai actually said at one point. You know, rather than just hoping for the improbable best. >_>

The absence of proof is not the proof of absence. It's not proven improbable just because there was nothing explicitly said on the supporting side.

An old quote is not proof unless you can prove that the speaker still believes that.

This is getting downright stupid. It is more unreasonable to conclude that Sakurai has changed his mind on the subject given what we know. I'm not saying it's impossible or that it necessarily won't happen, but you're definitely in the wrong here for remaining so optimistic about Ridley's chances.

I said nothing about Sakurai changing his mind in the positive sense. I said you have not proven that the quote still applies. Learn the difference.

I said nothing about chances in the positive sense. I said you have not proven him unlikely. Learn the difference.
---
"Once again, ViewtifulGene's logic blows minds and crushes dreams." -TheGamingGolfer
"Supez teh king" -dedekong
#43MottmanPosted 12/6/2012 5:06:16 PM
LegendofLegaia posted...
I'm specifically referring to their character models. Of course there are going to be moveset and personality discrepancies for this game to even work, but as a rule Smash Bros has been respectful to every in-game universe in terms of modeling characters.

ROB was in the Pikmin universe and Olimar was about as big as his eye.

but liek rob totally doesnt count cuz hes not a video game charactur!!!!

(That's not intended as a dig at OE specifically, it just seems to be the inevitable response when anyone tries to use R.O.B. as an example in ANY analogy.)
---
My name is Mottman, and I approve this message.
"Champions don't whine, they win!" - Vangarre from Xenoblade Chronicles
#44Kooky_von_KoopaPosted 12/6/2012 5:11:44 PM
hyperskate65 posted...
Why do people want to play as Ridley so much?
I don't imagine him actually being fun to play as.

Genuinely curious.

Metroid is a series that is more successful than Star Fox and has... only 1 rep? Metroid DESERVES another rep, as it is the 10th most successful Nintendo series, above Star Fox, Animal Crossing, and many others. The logical choice for a second rep. would obviously be Ridley, as he is the main antagonist of the entire Metroid series. The only viable second choice is Dark Samus, Metroid fans are 100% sure she won't be a clone, but players that have never played Metroid believe she would be a clone.
---
I am not changing this signature until Mewtwo/Dr. Mario is confirmed for Smash 4.
Jesus is the best ever! (B)uilt (O)n (S)elf (S)uccess.
#45ViewtifulGenePosted 12/6/2012 5:13:29 PM
Kooky_von_Koopa posted...
hyperskate65 posted...

Genuinely curious.

Metroid is a series that is more successful than Star Fox and has... only 1 rep? Metroid DESERVES another rep, as it is the 10th most successful Nintendo series, above Star Fox, Animal Crossing, and many others. The logical choice for a second rep. would obviously be Ridley, as he is the main antagonist of the entire Metroid series. The only viable second choice is Dark Samus, Metroid fans are 100% sure she won't be a clone, but players that have never played Metroid believe she would be a clone.

In fairness Ridley isn't the MAIN antagonist and the ignorant could just as easily accuse Ridley of being a clone.
---
"Once again, ViewtifulGene's logic blows minds and crushes dreams." -TheGamingGolfer
#46Dustof_DryBonesPosted 12/6/2012 5:18:09 PM
ViewtifulGene posted...
ViewtifulGene posted...
ViewtifulGene posted...
I wouldn't know and you wouldn't know either. All we know is that several years ago Sakurai thought it would be difficult based on his thoughts at the time. There is no proof whether or not Sakurai still thinks that.

Well at least I'm going off of something that Sakurai actually said at one point. You know, rather than just hoping for the improbable best. >_>

The absence of proof is not the proof of absence. It's not proven improbable just because there was nothing explicitly said on the supporting side.

An old quote is not proof unless you can prove that the speaker still believes that.

This is getting downright stupid. It is more unreasonable to conclude that Sakurai has changed his mind on the subject given what we know. I'm not saying it's impossible or that it necessarily won't happen, but you're definitely in the wrong here for remaining so optimistic about Ridley's chances.

I said nothing about Sakurai changing his mind in the positive sense. I said you have not proven that the quote still applies. Learn the difference.

I said nothing about chances in the positive sense. I said you have not proven him unlikely. Learn the difference.

The quote still applies until we have evidence that counters it.
---
Hello, kind friend. =)
#47SpunkySixPosted 12/6/2012 5:18:28 PM

No they haven't. Characters with consistent sizes that should tower over others or be barely visible have been changed before. Nothing in SSB matters canon-wise.
---
Tissues to the extreme!
So much... shiny goomba grinding...
#48Kooky_von_KoopaPosted 12/6/2012 5:20:34 PM
ViewtifulGene posted...
Kooky_von_Koopa posted...
hyperskate65 posted...

Genuinely curious.

In fairness Ridley isn't the MAIN antagonist and the ignorant could just as easily accuse Ridley of being a clone.

The main antagonists of the Metroid titles belong to Mother Brain, Metroid Queen, Dark Samus, Emperor Ing and Gorea if we spoke technically. But Ridley is the only recurring one among all the series, along with Kraid, but Kraid, unlike Ridley, is aproximately 20 meters tall, Ridley is around 3 meters or less. Another -implied- character that might recurr is Sylux, but he hasn't been in a Metroid Prime 4 yet.
---
I am not changing this signature until Mewtwo/Dr. Mario is confirmed for Smash 4.
Jesus is the best ever! (B)uilt (O)n (S)elf (S)uccess.
#49ViewtifulGenePosted 12/6/2012 5:30:33 PM
ViewtifulGene posted...
ViewtifulGene posted...
ViewtifulGene posted...

The quote still applies until we have evidence that counters it.

That's not how it works. The absence of proof is not the proof of absence. Until we have a recent quote we can't possibly know what he actually thinks right now. You have not ruled out the possibility of his mind changing, especially not when the quote is years old, a lot can change over a few years, and Sakurai has changed his mind before.

We don't know Sakurai changed his mind or not. You don't get to spin "we don't know" as "no" just because that's what you want it to be.
---
#50MottmanPosted 12/6/2012 5:34:40 PM
ViewtifulGene posted...
and Sakurai has changed his mind before.

Not to disagree with you, but can you post some examples? I'd like to know myself, so I can quote them the next time we have this absurd "Ridley is too big" argument all over again.
---
My name is Mottman, and I approve this message.
"Champions don't whine, they win!" - Vangarre from Xenoblade Chronicles