This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

POLL: My Latest Roster, What is Your Opinion of it? (PICTURE INCLUDED)

#1liveman789Posted 1/13/2013 7:16:05 AM
My Latest Roster, What is Your Opinion of it? - Results (118 votes)
Wow. I would be very happy with that.
6.78% (8 votes)
I'd be pretty happy with that. Only missing one or two of my wanted newcomers.
23.73% (28 votes)
Meh
33.05% (39 votes)
I hate you for the roster cuts.
12.71% (15 votes)
Complete Garbage
23.73% (28 votes)
This poll is now closed.
http://oi49.tinypic.com/1jb50g.jpg

I went in the latest roster thinking of character additions with realistic expectations.

CUT:
Ike
Lucario
Toon Link

NEWCOMERS:

BOWSER JR.
Mario is the only series on my roster that has 5 reps. If you remember correctly this is the way is was in Melee as well, so it's not like it's impossible. Zelda and Pokemon have 4 reps, but one of each of their characters has changing movesets/transformations. If they get that, Mario should get another rep as the #1 Nintendo franchise. Bowser Jr. would be the best option. Ever since Sunshine, Bowser Jr. has appeared in every main Mario title. He was chosen over Toad because A) He isn't a "race" of a character, B) He is a villain which SSB could use more of, and C) He has a higher moveset potential. I shouldn't have to explain why he's in over Waluigi.

KING K. ROOL
Added King K Rool. Big part of Nintendo history. We know he isn't forgotten, as he appeared in the latest Mario Baseball game as playable with his minions (This was also a Namco game, which doesn't hurt his chances).

6TH GENERATION POKEMON
Pikachu is the face of Pokemon. Pokemon Trainer is the main protagonist of each game, though he is a different person each time. Jigglypuff has on of the "Orginal 12 Cards" so she is a safe bet. I'm sorry but people really need to be realistic about Mewtwo, and even Lucario. They were awesome, still are, but their slot will always be replaced with each game. This time being with a 6th generation Pokemon. The other 3 Pokemon slots are pretty much locked in, the way I see it.

GHIRAHIM
This is the same, just with Toon Link replaced with Ghirahim. Young Link represented the series pre-Melee, Toon Link represented the series pre-Brawl. Ghirahim, if anyone, should represent the series pre-SSB4. Skyward Sword is the only Zelda game in between Brawl and SSB4 (Most likely, and with the exception of handhelds). He would be the best option for representation.

CHROM
Chrom is now the more relevant FE rep, which is why Ike was cut. I can honestly see Ike coming back, as he wasn't a clone, but for now he's cut.

SHULK
The series has been acclaimed greatly and has sold well, so they should have a representative, with Shulk being the best option. If Golden Sun and Sin and Punishment were as successful as this, they might have gotten a rep too, but they weren't.

LITTLE MAC
He was revived in the Wii recently, and is a big part of Nintendo history. He deserves to be in.

PALUTENA
Sakurai will most likely add a rep from the series, as he created the last installment. Palutena is the best option.

DILLON
I think 3DS games should be represented somehow. I think Dillon would be great as a character for this representation.

TAKAMARU
The revived retro character of this installment, as Ice Climbers and Pit were. He is also very likely as well.

PAC-MAN
Pacman, at this point, is pretty much a shoe in with Namco developing the game. There's no way they're gonna put in a vague character like Lloyd Irving over one of the biggest video game icons.

That makes a total of 11 newcomers, 3 cut from Brawl, and 43 characters total.

So go ahead, criticize.
#2TableFlipPosted 1/13/2013 7:19:54 AM
wtf dillon
---
I don't even know anymore.
#3LegendofLegaiaPosted 1/13/2013 7:41:16 AM
-Cutting Ike is unnecessary. Given the huge amount of popularity Awakening has received, I doubt we'll get less than 3 reps this time and Ike became a pretty popular character to use in Brawl. At the very least, it shouldn't just be Marth and Chrom.

-Pokemon has always received two new reps in each sequel, with Brawl having 2 additional characters planned, but cut. If there's only one newcomer, then Lucario shouldn't have to be cut. Mewtwo returning is also a possibility.

-Dillon seems incredibly unrealistic.

-I doubt Ghirahim will make it, considering how he's a one-shot. People like to bring up Sheik when they defend him, but they completely forget the fact that Sheik is attached to Zelda, one of the 3 most recurring characters in the series (with her name in the title). In Melee, they didn't go with Majora and in Brawl, they didn't go with Zant, so why would they put Ghirahim in here? I also highly doubt that Toon Link would be cut for him. Toon Link (or as they called him in the pre-Brawl days, "Wind Waker Link") was one of the most requested Zelda characters in Japan and considering how the main argument for Ghirahim's inclusion is his popularity, him being Toon Link's replacement doesn't make sense.
---
Ninten/Giygas/Porky/Masked Man_Ridley_Black Shadow_Little Mac_Animal Crosser_Toad/Bowser Jr._Mega Man_Mewtwo_Palutena and Terra FOR SMASH! / = Either one
#4Scorpion122178Posted 1/13/2013 7:47:33 AM
no mewtwo, no ridley = low score from me.
---
GT: Scorpion0489
Currently playing: Turok 2: Seeds of Evil, Borderlands 2, Halo 4, TESV Skyrim
#5liveman789(Topic Creator)Posted 1/13/2013 8:03:29 AM
Scorpion122178 posted...

Ironically, I have a feeling that's why the bottom poll option is the most popular.
#6Scorpion122178Posted 1/13/2013 8:09:22 AM
liveman789 posted...
Scorpion122178 posted...

Ironically, I have a feeling that's why the bottom poll option is the most popular.

how is that ironic? also I don't think its complete garbage but I don't hate the roster cuts and feel more strongly about Ridley and Mewtwo's exclusion than "meh"
---
GT: Scorpion0489
Currently playing: Turok 2: Seeds of Evil, Borderlands 2, Halo 4, TESV Skyrim
#7sterlingtygerPosted 1/13/2013 8:09:40 AM
- Ghirahim over Toon Link is rather unlikely. He's a one-shot character, and in a year or so his game won't even be the newest one. Do you remember how many people wanted Midna, and how by the time Brawl came out people realized she was so outdated and unimportant it was ridiculous? Yeah. Also you seem to be using Link and Zelda's Skyward Sword designs, and like I said, Zelda Wii U is going to come out before this game, with a look closer to Twilight Princess.
Either keep in Toon Link and hold out hope for a new character from Zelda U or, slightly more likely, a recurring character gaining a major role in Zelda U, or add Tingle. Or even remove the transformation from Zelda, and make Impa her own character? Impa is a recurring character while Shiek was only in one. Jus' saying.

- Still no new characters for Metroid? Nope/10. If you're so unfailingly resilient in believing that Ridley is too big, there's no reason not to add Dark Samus, one of those awful characters from Other M, or try to find someone else. But really now, you're literally giving Metroid's sister series a new character while leaving Metroid at one, and that, I do believe, is the worstest. And really if you're in denial that Ridley isn't going to be in this game... I'm sorry.

- Shulk, Dillon, Little Mac and Takamaru? As the only new miscellaneous characters?
No.
Villager, Tom Nook, Isaac, Monita, Starfy, Andy, anything. Come on, man.

- No Mega Man? Weaksauce.

My advice to you:
I know Sakurai said he'd keep the newcomer count low, but if I were you I'd add in another row of characters; just 4 more, to even some things out. Add in Megaman, one or two new series characters, a Metroid character, and maybe have one slot leftover for whoever you might want to add(Ike? Lucario or another Pokemon, even?)
And cut Ghirahim for Toon Link, or someone new who's actually important. Like really.
#8liveman789(Topic Creator)Posted 1/13/2013 8:20:18 AM
Scorpion122178 posted...
liveman789 posted...
Scorpion122178 posted...

how is that ironic? also I don't think its complete garbage but I don't hate the roster cuts and feel more strongly about Ridley and Mewtwo's exclusion than "meh"

In that I was trying to be realistic as possible. I'd love for the two of them to be in, but I think their chances are extremely unlikely despite their fan hype.
#9liveman789(Topic Creator)Posted 1/13/2013 8:29:57 AM
sterlingtyger posted...
- Ghirahim over Toon Link is rather unlikely. He's a one-shot character, and in a year or so his game won't even be the newest one. Do you remember how many people wanted Midna, and how by the time Brawl came out people realized she was so outdated and unimportant it was ridiculous? Yeah. Also you seem to be using Link and Zelda's Skyward Sword designs, and like I said, Zelda Wii U is going to come out before this game, with a look closer to Twilight Princess.
Either keep in Toon Link and hold out hope for a new character from Zelda U or, slightly more likely, a recurring character gaining a major role in Zelda U, or add Tingle. Or even remove the transformation from Zelda, and make Impa her own character? Impa is a recurring character while Shiek was only in one. Jus' saying.

- Still no new characters for Metroid? Nope/10. If you're so unfailingly resilient in believing that Ridley is too big, there's no reason not to add Dark Samus, one of those awful characters from Other M, or try to find someone else. But really now, you're literally giving Metroid's sister series a new character while leaving Metroid at one, and that, I do believe, is the worstest. And really if you're in denial that Ridley isn't going to be in this game... I'm sorry.

- Shulk, Dillon, Little Mac and Takamaru? As the only new miscellaneous characters?
No.

My advice to you:
I know Sakurai said he'd keep the newcomer count low, but if I were you I'd add in another row of characters; just 4 more, to even some things out. Add in Megaman, one or two new series characters, a Metroid character, and maybe have one slot leftover for whoever you might want to add(Ike? Lucario or another Pokemon, even?)
And cut Ghirahim for Toon Link, or someone new who's actually important. Like really.

A) What exactly is Metroid's sister series? I never heard that term.

B) I'm not in denial about Ridley getting in. I'd say he still has a chance, but I'm basing my opinion off of the fact that he's been excluded from the roster all three times, despite him having a huge amount of requests to be included in both Melee and Brawl. When we finally got a 2nd Metroid rep, we got Samus without her suit on and Ridley was made into a boss. Once again, I'm not in denial, and I think he still has a small chance, but I'm just trying to be realistic.

C) IIRC, Animal Crossing won't ever be getting playable characters because they don't want their characters fighting violently. Isaac, I can see. Monita, she's a tv screen. All Starfy does is spin. And Andy, maybe.

D) Quality > Quantity, my friend.
#10sterlingtygerPosted 1/13/2013 8:41:00 AM
liveman789 posted...
sterlingtyger posted...

No.

My advice to you:

A) What exactly is Metroid's sister series? I never heard that term.

B) I'm not in denial about Ridley getting in. I'd say he still has a chance, but I'm basing my opinion off of the fact that he's been excluded from the roster all three times, despite him having a huge amount of requests to be included in both Melee and Brawl. When we finally got a 2nd Metroid rep, we got Samus without her suit on and Ridley was made into a boss. Once again, I'm not in denial, and I think he still has a small chance, but I'm just trying to be realistic.

C) IIRC, Animal Crossing won't ever be getting playable characters because they don't want their characters fighting violently. Isaac, I can see. Monita, she's a tv screen. All Starfy does is spin. And Andy, maybe.

D) Quality > Quantity, my friend.

Metroid's sister series is Kid Icarus.

Fair enough, but you can't deny that Metroid as a series is really important and big and deserves a second rep.

False. Sakurai said that he did not want to put an animal crossing rep in because he personally could not see them fighting. And... so I'm assuming you've never played a Starfy game? And as for Monita, she could have a fun and unique moveset. Isn't Smash Bros. supposed to be about fun? She's from a brand new IP and represents the brand new console. And she'd have such a good moveset, using moves based on various attractions and the park itself.

I agree, but your roster is not very high quality. If you want to keep the numbers down, well, Bowser Jr. isn't really necessary... neither is Palutena... or Dillon, really! Cut them in favor of Mega Man, Isaac and Ridley, and cut Ghirahim for Toon Link, and you're set, man.