Will this game SAVE the Wii U?

#1dedekongPosted 1/14/2013 3:03:11 PM
The Wii U is currently struggling to make any impact in the gaming market. During the holiday season the brand new Wii U was outsold by literally every other console on the market, except for the Vita... this includes: PS3, Xbox360, Wii, DS, 3DS.

There are also currently no games for the Wii U making a splash, as it has been reported that Wii U software sales are actually lower than the Wii and Gamecube software sales during launch; gamecube being Nintendo's worst selling and least popular home console.

You can read more about the above here: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/386207/wii-u-game-sales-far-behind-launch-levels-for-gamecube-and-wii/

Now, I am not saying the Wii U is dead like the Vita is, but things are looking grim at the moment. However, a console can be saved by good software; The 3DS was a major flop post launch, and needed a massive price cut just to draw in a crowd. However, the console was later saved by games like Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7, Monster Hunter, and most recently Animal Crossing.

Smash Bros is a game that has a huge fan base, and although it didn't save the Gamecube with Melee, the fan base has grown massively since then, and it is possible it may be the game to save the Wii U.

What are your thoughts?
#2Dalek_WhoPosted 1/14/2013 3:04:34 PM
No, nothing will save the Wii U. They will still be exterminated by the Daleks! Exterminate! EX-TER-MIN-ATE!
#3dedekong(Topic Creator)Posted 1/14/2013 3:07:33 PM
Dalek_Who posted...
No, nothing will save the Wii U. They will still be exterminated by the Daleks! Exterminate! EX-TER-MIN-ATE!

I'm feeling second hand embarrassment from this post.
#4Dalek_WhoPosted 1/14/2013 3:09:18 PM
dedekong posted...
Dalek_Who posted...

I'm feeling second hand extermination from this post.

The Daleks have fixed your post!
---
Orders received: exterminate all humans!
EXTERMINATE ALL HUMANS!!!
#5TheMasterTurtlePosted 1/14/2013 3:10:22 PM
I laughed at the Darleck post.
---
OFFICIAL WARTORTLE OF THE B/W BOARDS
#6dedekong(Topic Creator)Posted 1/14/2013 3:10:22 PM
Dalek_Who posted...
dedekong posted...
Dalek_Who posted...

I need to start watching Dr. Who again. I left off on the series when he gets a new assistant.
#7Dalek_WhoPosted 1/14/2013 3:11:04 PM
dedekong posted...
Dalek_Who posted...
dedekong posted...
Dalek_Who posted...

I need to start watching Dr. Who again. I left off on the series when he gets a new assistant.

It's a good show. Well, the first half of most episodes, anyway.
---
Orders received: exterminate all humans!
EXTERMINATE ALL HUMANS!!!
#8ViewtifulGenePosted 1/14/2013 3:21:08 PM
I wouldn't count on an individual game to save a console.
---
"Once again, ViewtifulGene's logic blows minds and crushes dreams." -TheGamingGolfer
"Supez teh king" -dedekong
#9Kooky_von_KoopaPosted 1/14/2013 3:25:46 PM
This game will perhaps be rushed like Brawl was if this trend continues. However, what can actually save this console like it happened with the Wii is a new Legend of Zelda, 3D Mario, and Metroid, because NOT even New Super Mario Bros. U is saving the Wii U.
---
I am not changing this signature until Mewtwo/Dr. Mario is confirmed for Smash 4.
Jesus is the best ever! (B)uilt (O)n (S)elf (S)uccess.
#10ViewtifulGenePosted 1/14/2013 3:32:12 PM
Kooky_von_Koopa posted...
This game will perhaps be rushed like Brawl was if this trend continues. However, what can actually save this console like it happened with the Wii is a new Legend of Zelda, 3D Mario, and Metroid, because NOT even New Super Mario Bros. U is saving the Wii U.

Considering how quickly NSMBU was released after NSMB2, Nintendo could've saturated their own market for Mario games. It doesn't necessarily mean Mario won't help a console, it could simply mean that now was not the time for its help.
---
"Once again, ViewtifulGene's logic blows minds and crushes dreams." -TheGamingGolfer
"Supez teh king" -dedekong