They should bring back Wave dashing and L cancelling.

#1QualiTPosted 1/17/2013 12:17:30 AM
Lets get retro in da houuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse!
---
All Things Require Sacrifice.
http://i.imgur.com/FjisB.gif
#2Someguy_13Posted 1/17/2013 12:22:12 AM
L cancelling had no reason to go and should come back.

Wavedashing depends entirely on what they use for an airdodge. They could do something better than both Brawl and Melee, that doesn't lend itself to Wavedashing and that would be fine. If they go back to Melee's that's fine and we get Wavedashing. If they stick with Brawls, that also works and still no Wavedashing.

Lack of Wavedashing wasn't what was wrong with Brawl. It was a very small part of a much larger problem.
---
Survivor of the Yahoo Bunker War of 2010
#3EarthLord_CJPosted 1/17/2013 1:12:09 AM
Indeed, there were things more important than Wavedashing to Smash when they revamped combat with Brawl.
Though admittedly, I don't think having infinite and potentially spammable Air-Dodges in Brawl was a good replacement for the Melee one. >__>
---
http://i.imgur.com/qgqVy.jpg
"Don't wanna know...where the sinners go..."
#4Someguy_13Posted 1/17/2013 1:40:25 AM(edited)
EarthLord_CJ posted...
Indeed, there were things more important than Wavedashing to Smash when they revamped combat with Brawl.
Though admittedly, I don't think having infinite and potentially spammable Air-Dodges in Brawl was a good replacement for the Melee one. >__>

I wouldn't exactly call Brawls airdodge spamable. There's too much recovery on it for you to do it fast enough for that to be really useful.

And there's also the fact that you lose height while doing it.
---
#5Doug314Posted 1/17/2013 1:44:57 AM
No way. They might as well just make everyone faster. No point in mechanics that you might as well just always do that's just annoying when to play optimally you have to just practice doing it, which isn't even really fighting so it's pretty stupid.
---
Palutena, Isaac, Ridley, King K. Rool, and Anna for SSB Wii U and SSB 3DS!
SSB is the best series ever made!
#6Someguy_13Posted 1/17/2013 1:47:26 AM
Doug314 posted...
They might as well just make everyone faster.

They should also do this.
---
#7ViviffTheZonedPosted 1/17/2013 3:17:46 AM
Doug314 posted...
No way. They might as well just make everyone faster. No point in mechanics that you might as well just always do that's just annoying when to play optimally you have to just practice doing it, which isn't even really fighting so it's pretty stupid.

You must be a professional.
---
[Zoned] Viviff the Great - Pro SSBB player.
GetZonedUp.com Use the promo code "viviff10"! Think. Do. Win.
#8EarthLord_CJPosted 1/17/2013 3:53:51 AM(edited)
Someguy_13 posted...
EarthLord_CJ posted...

I wouldn't exactly call Brawls airdodge spamable. There's too much recovery on it for you to do it fast enough for that to be really useful.

And there's also the fact that you lose height while doing it.

I don't know the specific properties of them, so I'll defer to you on that.
They do, however, seem to be fairly safe to perform for little negative consequence. Air-Dodging in Melee, by itself, did have a hefty amount of consequence to them, but it's still a very useful action to perform given the right circumstances (and I don't mean in regards to Wavedashing and Wavelanding).

Heck, the Melee AD even gave 'tether' characters more windows of opportunity to recover/edgeguard, since you could whip out a Hook Shot/Grapple Beam towards a wall/ledge before the dodge animation ended and left you falling helplessly.
---
http://i.imgur.com/qgqVy.jpg
"Don't wanna know...where the sinners go..."
#9Bronze_StuffPosted 1/17/2013 4:41:46 AM
ViviffTheZoned posted...
Doug314 posted...

You must be a professional.

To be fair, he has a point, there really isn't much of a point to "not" use L-canceling in Melee. Having something like L-canceling in the game is pretty silly on the grounds that if it's universally useful to use, there's no point NOT using it. Having a universally useful move is like having a universally useless move; pointless.

We aren't talking like say... EWGF from Tekken, where not every character has this, so it is something that a Mishima player should learn to use. We're talking something that everyone has, and is going to be attempting to use every time one lands. It just makes things needlessly complicated. It doesn't even really add a skill plateau because it doesn't even require a tremendous amount of skill to learn how to do it. Once one has it, they can pretty much always do it.
---
Jimbo.