This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Who would actually be this upset if we had this many Pokemon reps?

#21ssj_duelist(Topic Creator)Posted 1/22/2013 9:12:07 AM
Doug314 posted...
There will be like 142,857,142 more of these games. And 8 Pokemon is far too many. Assuming we only get about 8-11 more characters than in brawl, there aren't enough slots to use up more than one on the same franchise.

It's funny because Pokemon sells more than every other represented franchise (sans Mario) combined. It deserves the reps,Mario would do if they didn't focus on the same characters so much.
#22victinivcreate1Posted 1/22/2013 9:30:53 AM
ssj_duelist posted...
Doug314 posted...
There will be like 142,857,142 more of these games. And 8 Pokemon is far too many. Assuming we only get about 8-11 more characters than in brawl, there aren't enough slots to use up more than one on the same franchise.

It's funny because Pokemon sells more than every other represented franchise (sans Mario) combined. It deserves the reps,Mario would do if they didn't focus on the same characters so much.

I agree with you.

Mario Core Character
Mario-Luigi-Peach-Bowser-Toad (generally)

Pokemon
Pikachu-Jiglypuff (15 years ago)-Mewtwo, Red, Lucario-Genesect/6th Gen Rep

Mario titles focus on teh core characters in general

Pokemon gets 100+ pokemon every 3 years.

Popular 1st Gen-The 3 starters, pikachu, jigglypuff, Arcanine, Starmie, Legend Birds, Mewtwo, Snorlax
Popular 2nd Gen-Tyranitar
3rd Gen-Blaziken, Grovyle, Mudkip, Salamence, The Weather Trio, Deoxys, Gardevoir
4th Gen-Starters, Lucario, Garchomp, Darkrai
5th Gen-Dewott, Zoroark (barely), Genesect, Hydreigon

So the roster can be

Pika
Jiggly
Lucario
Mewtwo
Genesect/6th Gen Rep
Pokemon Trainer
---
Genesect, Mewtwo, Ridley, Shulk, Palutena, Megaman, Isaac, Saki, Toad, King K. Rool, Ghirahim, Roy, Little Mac, Megaman, and DLC for SSB4
#23MrSpacelySlatePosted 1/22/2013 9:39:25 AM
I wouldn't mind, but I would be okay and much prefer if Mewtwo didn't come back.

A new rep added is all we need.
#24a_fartn_SpartanPosted 1/22/2013 10:34:57 AM
That really seems like a lot of reps to me. I figure Zoroark can be an assist trophy and 6th gen can get a boss or something. Considering Sakurai counts Pokemon Trainer as 3 characters, 8 is currently double of any other series (counting Toon Link as a clone). Pokemon will probably just have the same amount of slots as the roster has rows. Meaning, there will be a Pokemon column just like in Brawl.

The only way I see Mewtwo, Lucario, and a gen 6 pokemon getting in are if Jigglypuff or PT is cut. Jiggs probably isn't going anywhere, and the only way I see PT being cut is if his gimmick gets turned into a different mode. As in, there will be a mode where you switch out characters each stock just like in SSE.
---
Hair Straightener - Please use above waist.
#25ChonicPosted 1/22/2013 12:16:48 PM
As much as I like the First Generation, I do want more of the other gens to be covered. 2nd and 4th have been done, so I say 2 1st gen, one 3rd gen, one 5th gen and either a 6th gen or a 2nd/4th gen. Something like...

Pikachu [Returning]
Red [Espeon, Snorlax, Charizard] (He actually has these in-game. Espeon covers 2nd gen too]
Grovyle [Represents Mystery Dungeon somewhat]
Lucario [Returning]
Meloetta [Because I prefer it to Genesect and Zoroark...yeah, that's my only reason]

...yeah, I know some of those aren't likely. But I've got the first five gens covered there with 1st still getting more love than the others. Something like this is what I'd like to see.
---
~~Dream World Paradise Volunteer~~ Jobs done: 4
Pokemon White 2 FC = 4599-7354-7776
#26LegendofLegaiaPosted 1/22/2013 12:20:33 PM
SmashBro25 posted...
That's actually my ideal lineup of Pokemon for Smash 4, and I would be extremely happy if we ended up with that. I'm not sure if we will, but I would love for it to happen.

---
Ninten/Giygas/Porky/Masked Man_Ridley_Black Shadow_Little Mac_Animal Crosser_Toad/Bowser Jr._Mega Man_Mewtwo_Palutena and Terra FOR SMASH! / = Either one
#27reaverzPosted 1/22/2013 4:07:04 PM(edited)
I would be fine with a 6-slot Pokemon roster, and I agree that Pokemon is the only series that could stand to get away with it seeing as it's such an important cash cow for Nintendo. However, I don't see it as very likely; I see Pokemon receiving five slots in the end. I don't think that the Pokemon roster in Smash should boil down to "Gen I + one latest gen", so I would prefer that a Gen VI Pokemon and Lucario both appear on the roster to show that Pokemon's later entries are just as great as the originals if not more so (and I would definitely argue more so).

This leaves the excluded character from that list to be one of Jigglypuff, Pokemon Trainer, and Mewtwo. If it were up to me, I would leave out Mewtwo since the other two add more to the cast. Jigglypuff has a unique playstyle and a comical presence among the cast that really stands out. Pokemon Trainer has his three-in-one main draw and represents three staple elements of the Pokemon series (Pokemon battling, evolutionary stages, and the starter choice). When compared to Jiggs and PT, Mewtwo has only the legendary status to its name. Its serious personality is redundant alongside Lucario's, who has a similarly lonely nature and also has a unique gameplay feature in aura. I think that the Pokemon roster in Smash 4 can stand to go without Mewtwo.
---
[Este mensaje fue borrado al deseo del dueno]
#28l33t_iRk3n_Rm33Posted 1/22/2013 3:54:38 PM
Doug314 posted...
There will be like 142,857,142 more of these games.

Wrong. Sakurai himself said this series couldn't go on forever. I'd be surprised if we got a fifth game, and downright amazed if we got a sixth.
---
The key to being a genius, or just a good person in general, is to be stupid in moderation.
http://i.imgur.com/QiEb7.jpg
#29Ari917Posted 1/22/2013 4:17:17 PM
I'd be ok with it, no cuts and we get the new/returning characters everyone wants.

l33t_iRk3n_Rm33 posted...
Doug314 posted...

Wrong. Sakurai himself said this series couldn't go on forever. I'd be surprised if we got a fifth game, and downright amazed if we got a sixth.

Realistically, even if Sakurai stopped directing the games Nintendo would keep it going. This is one of Nintendo's cash cows, there's no way they'd stop when it means getting support for their new system.
#30victinivcreate1Posted 1/22/2013 4:36:24 PM
Ari917 posted...
I'd be ok with it, no cuts and we get the new/returning characters everyone wants.

l33t_iRk3n_Rm33 posted...
Doug314 posted...

Realistically, even if Sakurai stopped directing the games Nintendo would keep it going. This is one of Nintendo's cash cows, there's no way they'd stop when it means getting support for their new system.

But once Sakurai stops directing SSB

it will either lose all of its magic, or gain so much that it puts Sakurai to shame.
---
Genesect, Mewtwo, Ridley, Shulk, Palutena, Megaman, Isaac, Saki, Toad, King K. Rool, Ghirahim, Roy, Little Mac, Megaman, and DLC for SSB4