This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why is Pacman more likely than Lloyd Irving again?

#1iKhanicPosted 1/24/2013 1:01:05 AM
Yes, Pacman is Namco's mascot, but:

1. He's not nearly as notable today as he was back in the arcade days
2. He doesn't really have anything special in relation to Nintendo

Lloyd is much more closely tied to Nintendo's consoles, comes from a series easily adaptable to Smash's controls, and comes from a series who's director is co-directing the game.

I don't really see how that makes Pac-man the most likely Namco rep.
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
#2MajoraqueenPosted 1/24/2013 1:05:48 AM
Don't you see random guesses and theories make him the most likely pick, combined with the fact that he was the most popular character in one of the best fighting games of the year Street fighter X Tekken Pac-man is basically a "shoo in"
---
Don't hug me I'm scared
#3MrSpacelySlatePosted 1/24/2013 1:08:50 AM
Because he's to Namco like how Mario and Sonic are to Nintendo and SEGA.

Lloyd or anyone before Pac Man is like putting Tingle in a huge crossover before Mario.
#4LegendofLegaiaPosted 1/24/2013 1:15:13 AM(edited)
iKhanic posted...
1. He's not nearly as notable today as he was back in the arcade days

When you compare this to Lloyd, who's never been even an eighth of how notable Pac-Man is, I don't see how this makes Lloyd more likely in comparison.

Also, Sakurai likes adding retros, so if Pac-Man is considered, I doubt he'll care about this.

2. He doesn't really have anything special in relation to Nintendo

He's had some games exclusive to Nintendo consoles and he's been in two Mario arcade games.

Compared to one of the third party characters we already have (Snake), that should be more than enough to warrant him showing up as a playable character.

Lloyd is much more closely tied to Nintendo's consoles, comes from a series easily adaptable to Smash's controls,

If this meant anything, then Simon Belmont would have gotten in over Snake.

and comes from a series who's director is co-directing the game.

Sakurai still has the final word on who gets in the roster.
---
Ninten/Giygas/Porky/Masked Man_Ridley_Black Shadow_Little Mac_Animal Crosser_Toad/Bowser Jr._Mega Man_Mewtwo_Palutena and Terra FOR SMASH! / = Either one
#5MajoraqueenPosted 1/24/2013 1:13:59 AM
MrSpacelySlate posted...
Because he's to Namco like how Mario and Sonic are to Nintendo and SEGA.

Lloyd or anyone before Pac Man is like putting Tingle in a huge crossover before Mario.

Mario is currently on a whole different level compared to Sonic or Pac, and Pacman is well known to gamers and non gamers alike however I doubt his popularity is at a all time high compared to other Namco Bandai characters.

Also While I do not really care for Lloyd comparing him to tingle is very insulting.
---
Don't hug me I'm scared
#6Someguy_13Posted 1/24/2013 1:16:00 AM
Pac-man being their rep is more than enough reason, but on top of that, he's one of the biggest icons in the Video Game industry.

And if they were going for a Tales rep, why Lloyd? Plenty of other Tales games have been on Nintendo systems. Asbel was in Graces, which was originally Wii exclusive until Graces F (and ToS got a PS2 version in Japan), Emil from Tales of Symphonia 2 could also take the spot, and his game was even Wii exclusive.
Hell Tales of the Abyss recently came out for the 3DS so Luke is completely eligible too, and lets not forget that in the most recent cross over that Namco was a part of, the Tales reps were all Vesperia and since it was on the 3DS, Yuri is now a completely viable option having appeared on a Nintendo system.

The point is there's too much competition for a Tales rep, when Pac-Man is a better rep anyway, being the mascot of the company, and an icon of the video game world.
---
Survivor of the Yahoo Bunker War of 2010
#7iKhanic(Topic Creator)Posted 1/24/2013 1:31:33 AM
Someguy_13 posted...
Pac-man being their rep is more than enough reason, but on top of that, he's one of the biggest icons in the Video Game industry.

And if they were going for a Tales rep, why Lloyd? Plenty of other Tales games have been on Nintendo systems. Asbel was in Graces, which was originally Wii exclusive until Graces F (and ToS got a PS2 version in Japan), Emil from Tales of Symphonia 2 could also take the spot, and his game was even Wii exclusive.
Hell Tales of the Abyss recently came out for the 3DS so Luke is completely eligible too, and lets not forget that in the most recent cross over that Namco was a part of, the Tales reps were all Vesperia and since it was on the 3DS, Yuri is now a completely viable option having appeared on a Nintendo system.

The point is there's too much competition for a Tales rep, when Pac-Man is a better rep anyway, being the mascot of the company, and an icon of the video game world.

Like I said, Lloyd is the most tied to Nintendo. Tales of Symphonia is considered one of the best titles of the gamecube, it was the Tales' series 3D break, its the best selling Tales game, and it got a sequel on the Wii, and Lloyd was a guest character in the Wii exclusive Soulcalibur Legends.

Sure, there are other Tales characters out there, but Lloyd is the most significant.
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
#8Someguy_13Posted 1/24/2013 1:37:30 AM
iKhanic posted...
Someguy_13 posted...

Like I said, Lloyd is the most tied to Nintendo. Tales of Symphonia is considered one of the best titles of the gamecube, it was the Tales' series 3D break, its the best selling Tales game, and it got a sequel on the Wii, and Lloyd was a guest character in the Wii exclusive Soulcalibur Legends.

Sure, there are other Tales characters out there, but Lloyd is the most significant.

Most of that is subjective though.

It wouldn't be far fetched at all for someone (at least in Japan, where this game is being made) to associate Asbel with Nintendo just as much as Lloyd.

And if Lloyd is so important to Namco, why wasn't he in Project X Zone?
---
Survivor of the Yahoo Bunker War of 2010
#9KCJ5062Posted 1/24/2013 2:25:04 AM
Pac-man has been around even longer than Mario.
#10ign0toPosted 1/24/2013 4:39:08 AM
Lloyd is overrated when it comes to discussing Tales characters in Smash. Symphonia is not even the most popular Tales in Japan (overseas, yes, but not in Japan). I still say Cless, as the original Tales protagonist, has better chances than him.