Why is Pacman more likely than Lloyd Irving again?

#11ViewtifulGenePosted 1/24/2013 5:58:20 AM
Moot points. Lloyd isn't nearly as noticeable today as in the Gamecube era. And you say Pac Man has no connection to Nintendo but he was featured in two Mario Kart arcade games.
---
"Once again, ViewtifulGene's logic blows minds and crushes dreams." -TheGamingGolfer
"Supez teh king" -dedekong
#128-bitMegamanPosted 1/24/2013 7:03:07 AM
Pac-Man:
-Most popular videogame of all-time since 1980
-Grossed over $1 billion on querters in a single year on 1980 (Currently $2.4 billion as of 2011)
-Has sold over a billion in merchandise (T-shirts, etc.)
-Contrary to popular belief, pac-Man is the hightest grossing videogame of all-time.
-Pac-Man (the character) is considered the first videogame mascot character created.
-His game was the first to introduce power-ups, cut-scenes, etc. to videogaming.
-Has released over 50 sequels and spin-offs, including Ms. pac-Man, Pac-Man World, etc.
-Has had his own cartoons and even soon will have a new cartoon aswell.
-Most popular videogame character of all-time
---
Across the highest mountains, into the endless seas, our journey ever onwards fight until we all be free
#13usaamahlinkPosted 1/24/2013 7:39:01 AM
Pac man makes no sense. If a namco rep is added it will be Lloyd Irving. Mark my words.
---
Currently playing: Chrono Trigger, The Last Story, Vandal Hearts, Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis.
#14Bronze_StuffPosted 1/24/2013 7:48:17 AM
More people know Pacman, and I'd wager the ire from fans of Smash would be larger if a Namco rep got in and it wasn't Pacman. That's a good enough reason.
---
Jimbo.
#15JC152Posted 1/24/2013 9:52:57 AM
ign0to posted...
Lloyd is overrated when it comes to discussing Tales characters in Smash. Symphonia is not even the most popular Tales in Japan (overseas, yes, but not in Japan). I still say Cless, as the original Tales protagonist, has better chances than him.

I would agree, but the original Tales game, (and all of its remakes) appears to have some special copyright issues that could make it difficult to add him. (All of the remakes curiously have a copyright to a single person, who I think has something to do with Tri-Ace.)
#16themanaswordPosted 1/24/2013 10:11:06 AM
Is okay with Harold Berselius instead of him?
---
My wanted them for SSB4: Toad, Birdo, Funky, Palutena, Syrup, Lyn, Krystal, One of Tales character and KOS-MOS
Mario Kart DS - FC: 0476-3827-5695
#17LegendofLegaiaPosted 1/24/2013 10:49:11 AM
usaamahlink posted...
Pac man makes no sense.

Please elaborate.
---
Ninten/Giygas/Porky/Masked Man_Ridley_Black Shadow_Little Mac_Animal Crosser_Toad/Bowser Jr._Mega Man_Mewtwo_Palutena and Terra FOR SMASH! / = Either one
#18MottmanPosted 1/24/2013 11:13:12 AM
I admit I know next to nothing about the Tales series, but isn't Lloyd a "one-shot" character? While I think that doesn't prevent a character's inclusion by any means (see Ness, Lucas, Roy, and Ice Climbers) it certainly can't help Lloyd's chances when put up against a company mascot who has ten times as much recognition factor and has been in fifty times as many games.

As much as I love Shulk, saying Lloyd should be in Smash Bros over Pac-Man would be like saying Shulk should be in over Mario.
---
"Champions don't whine, they win!" - Vangarre from Xenoblade Chronicles
"Soon we will see Pokemon XXX." - Kooky_von_Koopa
#19iKhanic(Topic Creator)Posted 1/24/2013 11:23:40 AM
Mottman posted...
I admit I know next to nothing about the Tales series, but isn't Lloyd a "one-shot" character? While I think that doesn't prevent a character's inclusion by any means (see Ness, Lucas, Roy, and Ice Climbers) it certainly can't help Lloyd's chances when put up against a company mascot who has ten times as much recognition factor and has been in fifty times as many games.

As much as I love Shulk, saying Lloyd should be in Smash Bros over Pac-Man would be like saying Shulk should be in over Mario.

No, Tales of Symphonia got a direct sequel that he appeared in. He also appeared in Soul Calibur Legends and Tales of Versus
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
#20Davidk92Posted 1/24/2013 11:24:22 AM
iKhanic posted...
Yes, Pacman is Namco's mascot,

/topic.
---
"The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you can't do."
~Walter Bagehot