If this game had two Namco reps, and one was Pacman...

#41LegendofLegaiaPosted 1/26/2013 7:11:00 AM
Hiten Mitsurugi S posted...
He doesn't deserve to be in Smash.

He's one of the most iconic video game characters of all time.

Whether you like him or not, it's incredibly ridiculous to say that he's not deserving, especially if you support some obscure Tales character.

His moveset in SF x Tekken was horrible. He's a joke character.

Yeah, because he'd HAVE to fight like he did in SFxTekken if he was included in Smash.

I assume we'll be getting Bad Boxart Megaman if Capcom gets a rep as well?
---
Ninten/Giygas/Porky/Masked Man_Ridley_Black Shadow_Little Mac_Animal Crosser_Toad/Bowser Jr._Mega Man_Mewtwo_Palutena and Terra FOR SMASH! / = Either one
#42LLL_DeadlyPosted 1/26/2013 7:33:01 AM
While Lloyd is obscure, this board takes it way too far. Were any of you around in 2004? Every person who owned a Gamecube knew who the dude was.

Tales of Symphonia was a system seller for the Gamecube, and they even had a limited edition Symphonia Gamecube. Nintendo done most of the game's advertising, too.

He isn't as likely as Pacman, but has FAR more moveset potential and a better fighting style.
---
Wind Waker is one of the greatest games ever made. Hoping the HD Remake does it justice.
#43EarthLord_CJPosted 1/26/2013 7:57:25 AM(edited)
LLL_Deadly posted...
While Lloyd is obscure, this board takes it way too far. Were any of you around in 2004? Every person who owned a Gamecube knew who the dude was.

Tales of Symphonia was a system seller for the Gamecube, and they even had a limited edition Symphonia Gamecube. Nintendo done most of the game's advertising, too.

He isn't as likely as Pacman, but has FAR more moveset potential and a better fighting style.

The move-set argument is extremely shaky ground to base your case on.
Not saying I don't support Lloyd, of course, but people have done it to death and others have countered it with the likes of ROB and Falcon.
That being said, Sakurai's decisions do often seem to have some basis on how much variety a character has to choose from move-wise, as he's stated that he'd find both Excitebike, Little Mac and (I think) Balloon Fighter very difficult to create abilities for. Heck, I think Falcon only ever made it in the first game because they had already established a prototype for something different, and just given him the moves of one of the old characters.

Super Smash Bros. was developed by HAL Laboratory, a Nintendo second-party developer, during 1998. Masahiro Sakurai was interested in making a fighting game for four players. As he did not have any ideas, his first designs were of simple base characters. He made a presentation to Satoru Iwata who helped him continue, as Sakurai had the knowledge that many fighting games did not sell well, he had to think of a way to make it original. His first idea was to include famous Nintendo characters and put them in a fight. Knowing he would not get permission, Sakurai made a prototype of the game without the permission of developers and did not inform them until he was sure the game was well balanced. For the prototype he used Mario, Donkey Kong, Samus and Fox. The idea was later approved. The game had a small budget and little promotion, and was intended to be a Japan-only release, but its huge success saw the game released worldwide.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Smash_Bros.

It's interesting to note that the game's idea originally came from something actually made by Namco:

According to Destructoid, the gameplay of Super Smash Bros. was inspired by The Outfoxies, a 1994 arcade game by Namco.

It's probably safe to say that, regardless of who gets put in, Sakurai must have a good deal of respect for Namco.
---
http://i.imgur.com/qgqVy.jpg
"Don't wanna know...where the sinners go..."
#44LegendofLegaiaPosted 1/26/2013 7:55:19 AM
LLL_Deadly posted...

I suppose my Gamecube magically disappeared in 2004, since I had no clue who the hell he was at the time.

How was it a system seller for the Gamecube if it was also on the PS2?

but has FAR more moveset potential and a better fighting style.

Excuse my ignorance, but isn't he basically just a sword user?

And I understand that he dual wields swords, but he's not exactly the only character in video game history to do this.

Also, moveset potential really doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things. Otherwise, Captain Falcon and ROB would have never been playable.
---
Ninten/Giygas/Porky/Masked Man_Ridley_Black Shadow_Little Mac_Animal Crosser_Toad/Bowser Jr._Mega Man_Mewtwo_Palutena and Terra FOR SMASH! / = Either one
#45LegendofLegaiaPosted 1/26/2013 7:56:39 AM(edited)
EarthLord_CJ posted...
but people have done it to death and others have countered it with the likes of ROB and Falcon.

... Lol, I mentioned them in my post before I read this XD
---
#46videogamefan65(Topic Creator)Posted 1/26/2013 8:10:36 AM
LegendofLegaia posted...
How was it a system seller for the Gamecube if it was also on the PS2?

I'd like to step in and point out that this happens with pretty much every non sony Tales game. Phantasia was ported to PS1, Vesperia to PS3, Graces to PS3, Hearts and Innocence were ported to the bloddy Vita for Christ's sake. Tales is very much a Sony series. Sure we could have another Snake, but I wouldn't count on it.
---
Masked Man- Generic name, Awesome character
"Shut up or I EXPLODE YOUR HEAD!"- Mewtwo
#47XxHAVIC101xXPosted 1/26/2013 8:48:07 AM
I think that if someone argues "moveset potential" for a Tales character, it's not that they might have better moveset potential than others, because it's been proven that that argument doesn't apply anymore. It's more that they already have an established moveset, one that could already work perfectly in Smash with little or no changes at all.
---
"I don't think we have time for this. Shouldn't we be focused on saving the world?"
-Asbel Lhant, side-questing in Tales of Graces.
#48ign0toPosted 1/26/2013 9:34:24 AM
Surprised at the love KOS-MOS is getting! =D
#49LegendofLegaiaPosted 1/26/2013 9:44:34 AM
XxHAVIC101xX posted...
I think that if someone argues "moveset potential" for a Tales character, it's not that they might have better moveset potential than others, because it's been proven that that argument doesn't apply anymore. It's more that they already have an established moveset, one that could already work perfectly in Smash with little or no changes at all.

I'm still not seeing the point of the argument.

Sakurai probably could have had an easier time putting Simon Belmont in Smash than Snake, but that didn't prevent Snake from having a good moveset (imo, anyway).
---
#50Traptin3daysPosted 1/26/2013 9:50:38 AM
Other - Sophitia

My main in SC :'(
---
Now let's sacrifice some chickens! :D