Will Smash Bros 3DS RUIN Smash Bros Wii U?

#1dedekongPosted 1/25/2013 7:08:44 PM
As we all know, there will be two Smash bros games being released this time: Smash bros 3DS and Smash bros Wii U. Which means Sakurai has to split his efforts between the two games, leading to time being wasted on the 3DS game that could be spent on the console game. However, that is not the biggest issue at hand.

What if Smash Bros 3DS is actually a bad thing? There is a huge potential that Sakurai will want to make the games equal in content. The 3DS obviously can not hold as much content as the Wii U disc, so I would hate it if these games are being developed on par with each other... and we end up with a lackluster Wii U version just so the game can stand on similar ground with the 3DS version.

Think of games like Scribblenauts, the lego games, and even the recent Resident Evil: Revelations game. Sure, those are all decent games, but each one is significantly gimped in terms of content because they were made to be similar to their 3DS counter-part. I would hate to see this happen to a smash game, considering they tend to be heavily full of content (something Sakurai is known for). Another example would be that flop Playstation all stars game, which remained on par with the Vita version, yet had barely any content to compensate.

I really hope Sakurai doesn't go against his traditions by giving us what would basically be an HD version of a 3DS game for Wii U.

thoughts?
#2Majora999Posted 1/25/2013 7:11:50 PM
This is another reason it's a good thing Namco is developing this. Sakurai's last few games have been done with a rag-tag group of misfit developers, rounded up for the sole purpose of each game, but with a full, proper development team behind it they can do alot more.
---
Not changing sig until Gamefreak brings back R/S/E Secret Bases ~ 2/20/11
#3SpunkySixPosted 1/25/2013 7:13:07 PM
The 3DS has been fairly disappointing so far and there's a lot of potential to screw this up, thus wasting resources that would have gone towards the U version.

We'll have to wait and see how this turns out and what both games are like, but I'll be the first to admit that I'd prefer they just focused on one game. They couldn't even avert part of the focus in one game to the useless SSE, stickers and Masterpieces without screwing things up.
---
Tissue to the extreme!
Yo gonna have ta put in a little OVAHTIME, Chuckie!
#4_ZXY_Posted 1/25/2013 7:17:08 PM(edited)
I'm honestly thinking to myself wtf are they doing making a smash bros game for both 3DS and Wii U at the same time. I wished they just devoted their resources for one system.
But, you never know how it might turn out, so...
#5reaverzPosted 1/25/2013 7:16:55 PM
I'm going to wait until we get our first look at the game in June before saying anything. However, I have a nagging suspicion that the main focus of Smash 4's video at E3 will be showing off the compatibility between the Wii U and 3DS version, so I'm already doubting that we will get a character-driven trailer like Brawl's with five new characters shown.

The most I think we will see in the trailer is three new characters, with an emphasis on gameplay footage on both systems. I do believe that most people are forgetting that there's a 3DS game being made as well...
---
[Este mensaje fue borrado al deseo del dueno]
#6ViewtifulGenePosted 1/25/2013 7:19:13 PM(edited)
It's a bit of a stretch to say the WiiU version will be ruined because of the 3DS version. Sure, any resources going toward the 3DS version could've went toward making the WiiU version better than it would have otherwise been. But that doesn't mean there aren't sufficient resources to make the game good in its own right. Just because the 3DS version may prevent the WiiU version from being better, that doesn't mean it can't be good at all.

Also, as far as we know, wanting to make both games equal could mean being more ambitious with the 3DS version rather than dumbing down the WiiU version. Sakurai made a console-quality game with KIU. It's not like he's forced to make a worthless product on the 3DS.
---
"Once again, ViewtifulGene's logic blows minds and crushes dreams." -TheGamingGolfer
"Supez teh king" -dedekong
#7dedekong(Topic Creator)Posted 1/25/2013 7:19:56 PM
SpunkySix posted...
The 3DS has been fairly disappointing so far and there's a lot of potential to screw this up, thus wasting resources that would have gone towards the U version.

We'll have to wait and see how this turns out and what both games are like, but I'll be the first to admit that I'd prefer they just focused on one game. They couldn't even avert part of the focus in one game to the useless SSE, stickers and Masterpieces without screwing things up.

Precisely. Sakurai is best when he is very focused on specific things. For example, Sakurai wrote the entire Kid Icarus: Uprising story himself, and did it ended up being one of the best stories in a Nintendo game in years. It only happened because he was focused on giving the fans a good story. Multiplayer and other features came after.

Now Sakurai has to juggle a 3DS version, and a Wii U version... while also thinking about "connectivity" like Iwata claimed during e3. I really do hope this all pans out well, and to touch on what the above poster said... I hope the extra hand can help him get focused on the important stuff.
#8Majora999Posted 1/25/2013 7:20:12 PM
What I hope is that Sakurai-sama doesn't go too far with that character customization he was thinking of using for the 3DS version.

It could be good, it could ruin the game. There's almost no grey area.

Maybe if it stuck to JUST the 3DS version, but he specifically mentioned the ability to use them on the U version.

Of course, this is his speculation from months before the project even began, he may have decided to take the cross-console connectivity in a completely different direction for all we know.
---
Not changing sig until Gamefreak brings back R/S/E Secret Bases ~ 2/20/11
#9koopabros64Posted 1/25/2013 7:21:19 PM
First off, the amount of content in PSAS has nothing to do with the vita version. The Vita version wasn't even planned til later. Secondly, I doubt it will gimp the Wii U version. The 3ds can handle plenty. Tekken 3ds had over 40 characters. If anything the 3DS will probably just be missing some extra stuff, There are also plenty of people working on the game.
---
The Platypus, the reason games like spore exist.
#10SmallerRidleyPosted 1/25/2013 7:23:30 PM
Oh no, the 3DS carts can't hold 3.36 GB of FMVs in addition to the rest of the game. Whatever shall we do.
---
Surely there's no problem with them putting me in Brawl, right?
It's ****ing satire, damnit. In NGE, Doritos are perishable goods