Will Smash Bros 3DS RUIN Smash Bros Wii U?

#21SmallerRidleyPosted 1/25/2013 7:44:17 PM
SmallerRidley posted...
There is no reasonable limit on space for either system. They can't possibly put enough useful stuff in the games to fill either the cartridge or the disc. From Brawl's data, 4.45 GB of the entire game was taken up by movies and music. The entire game was ~6 GB. Space for content is not an issue.

Except Brawl was a Wii game. Make everything in Brawl HD and you're probably looking at twice the space being taken up. And considering all the content in Brawl wouldn't fit on a 3DS cart, there is a good chance that both games will either be significantly different or significantly similar content wise. The latter being a worst case scenario.

Twice the space on a disc that holds 5 times the content. 3DS carts can hold 8 GB, larger than Brawl and doesn't require as much space due to lower resolution. Your argument isn't holding up logically.

Also, does either version need that much prerendered video or 200+ songs? You aren't doing anything to say why these things are vital to the point that they're choking the potential of the smaller cartridge.
---
Surely there's no problem with them putting me in Brawl, right?
It's ****ing satire, damnit. In NGE, Doritos are perishable goods
#22dedekong(Topic Creator)Posted 1/25/2013 7:56:14 PM
SmallerRidley posted...
SmallerRidley posted...
There is no reasonable limit on space for either system. They can't possibly put enough useful stuff in the games to fill either the cartridge or the disc. From Brawl's data, 4.45 GB of the entire game was taken up by movies and music. The entire game was ~6 GB. Space for content is not an issue.

Except Brawl was a Wii game. Make everything in Brawl HD and you're probably looking at twice the space being taken up. And considering all the content in Brawl wouldn't fit on a 3DS cart, there is a good chance that both games will either be significantly different or significantly similar content wise. The latter being a worst case scenario.

Twice the space on a disc that holds 5 times the content. 3DS carts can hold 8 GB, larger than Brawl and doesn't require as much space due to lower resolution. Your argument isn't holding up logically.

Also, does either version need that much prerendered video or 200+ songs? You aren't doing anything to say why these things are vital to the point that they're choking the potential of the smaller cartridge.

The highest 3DS came cart I have seen is 4GB, but if larger ones exist... ok. With the extra space of the Wii U disc we don't know how much more cut scenes and music Sakurai could put into a smash game. Mind you, the cut scenes in Brawl were significantly shorter than what many would consider an normal cutscene for a game... so there in lies another issue of a potential gimp situation occurring.
#23Majora999Posted 1/25/2013 7:58:36 PM
dedekong posted...
SmallerRidley posted...
SmallerRidley posted...

The highest 3DS came cart I have seen is 4GB, but if larger ones exist... ok. With the extra space of the Wii U disc we don't know how much more cut scenes and music Sakurai could put into a smash game. Mind you, the cut scenes in Brawl were significantly shorter than what many would consider an normal cutscene for a game... so there in lies another issue of a potential gimp situation occurring.

I wanna say he's right, I think Kingdom Hearts was on an 8 gig.
---
Not changing sig until Gamefreak brings back R/S/E Secret Bases ~ 2/20/11
#24SmallerRidleyPosted 1/25/2013 8:00:07 PM
Which leads me back to my first post.

Also, these were FMVs, not just regular cutscenes. In-engine cutscenes would be much smaller.
---
#25AwesomeAshleyPosted 1/25/2013 8:00:59 PM
I'm not even going to bother reading that. The answer is no.
---
You better be afraid of the great Ashley!
Yes, I'm THE Ashley, from Warioware.
#26dedekong(Topic Creator)Posted 1/25/2013 8:05:18 PM
SmallerRidley posted...
Which leads me back to my first post.

Also, these were FMVs, not just regular cutscenes. In-engine cutscenes would be much smaller.

They would have to develop an entirely different engine to even have the games look similar, i.e. MT Framework. However, we know they are working off of Brawl, so if they were to make these games with some kind of parity, they would need to have the games look similar... but with this current engine I don't see how that wouldn't hinder the Wii U version.
#27SmallerRidleyPosted 1/25/2013 8:11:03 PM
Build two parallel engines. They don't have to look exactly the same, just be compatible depending on the extent of connectivity he's going for. Animations and hitboxes don't have to be altered at all between the two, and most of the other physics things can be pretty exactly copied.
---
#28dedekong(Topic Creator)Posted 1/25/2013 8:26:01 PM
SmallerRidley posted...
Build two parallel engines. They don't have to look exactly the same, just be compatible depending on the extent of connectivity he's going for. Animations and hitboxes don't have to be altered at all between the two, and most of the other physics things can be pretty exactly copied.

I would hope they would do something like this.
#29l33t_iRk3n_Rm33Posted 1/25/2013 8:29:37 PM
Yes because handheld versions of games are always exactly like the console version. Especially M&SatOG and Donkey Kong Land.
---
The key to being a genius, or just a good person in general, is to be stupid in moderation.
http://i.imgur.com/QiEb7.jpg
#30GenoPosted 1/25/2013 9:57:28 PM
I think people concern themselves too much. If Smash Bros. 3DS isn't essentially the Smash we know and love, there's potential there that Smash Bros. might be applied on the 3DS in a different way to how we get it on the Wii U. Weren't they saying they wanted to take Smash in a different direction? Why not have a Smash Bros. RPG on the 3DS, heavy on the story, where progress with your characters there, what you have equipped, and what kinds of unique unlockables you've acquired there can be transferred over to Smash Bros. Wii U, which had more focus on the actual fighting game and returning modes?

This could be Sakurai's opportunity to tell a story with the 3DS and leave the Wii U version for Smash Bros. enthusiasts. There's so much potential it's not even funny.

Chances are good that it'll just be Smash Bros. On The Go, though.
---
3DS: 2363 - 5923 - 1853