Why Lloyd is more likely than Pacman

#1iKhanicPosted 1/26/2013 9:44:21 AM
1. The Tales director is codirecting. I know that Sakurai makes the final decision, but the thing is that he's made it pretty clear that 3rd party characters get in when people ASK for them to be in. Higuchi is in a position no one else is to ask for his characters to get in.
2. Lloyd is THE Nintendo-Namco character, being in one of the most popular games for the Gamecube, having a sequel on the Wii, and being featured in the Wii exclusive Soulcalibur game. Pacman has appeared in some Nintendo exclusives, yes, but he's also had exclusives on a bunch of other consoles as well. He's a pretty well rounded third-party character. I know what you are going to say: So is Sonic. But the other thing is that Sonic is a fundamental part of Nintendo's history as Mario's number 1 rival.
3. Pac-man hasn't really been that notable since the arcade games. On top of that, he is most recognizable in his "Pizza shaped" arcade look, not his 3D model. Why do you think the folks at Disney used the former design rather than the latter in Wreck-it Ralph? That design has limited moveset potential on its own. Lloyd isn't as notable as he was in Gamecube days, but he still gets some recognition
4. This one (and the ones afterwards) is less significant but: Because of tales mechanics, Lloyd should have not problem getting a moveset for this game. Add to that the fact that there are no dual-weilding swordsmen in smash, and he's fairly unique as well
5. Pac-man isn't really popular, he's just expected. Lloyd is a much more popular (I think, don't bash me on this one, its more of a guess)

If you agree with me and have another reason, feel free to say what it is.
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
#2Kooky_von_KoopaPosted 1/26/2013 9:50:03 AM
1. The Tales director is codirecting. I know that Sakurai makes the final decision, but the thing is that he's made it pretty clear that 3rd party characters get in when people ASK for them to be in. Higuchi is in a position no one else is to ask for his characters to get in.L

Game Arts as co-developing Brawl. Did they get a character? No.

2. Lloyd is THE Nintendo-Namco character, being in one of the most popular games for the Gamecube, having a sequel on the Wii, and being featured in the Wii exclusive Soulcalibur game. Pacman has appeared in some Nintendo exclusives, yes, but he's also had exclusives on a bunch of other consoles as well. He's a pretty well rounded third-party character. I know what you are going to say: So is Sonic. But the other thing is that Sonic is a fundamental part of Nintendo's history as Mario's number 1 rival.

Lloyd had 2 Nintendo game sin Nintendo consoles. Pac-Man was the FIRST third party game to appear on a Nintendo consoles, he has been in the Super Nintendo, 64, Gamecube and Wii.

3. Pac-man hasn't really been that notable since the arcade games. On top of that, he is most recognizable in his "Pizza shaped" arcade look, not his 3D model. Why do you think the folks at Disney used the former design rather than the latter in Wreck-it Ralph? That design has limited moveset potential on its own. Lloyd isn't as notable as he was in Gamecube days, but he still gets some recognition

When you see Mario around, he is usually in his 8-bit model. It proves nothing.

4. This one (and the ones afterwards) is less significant but: Because of tales mechanics, Lloyd should have not problem getting a moveset for this game. Add to that the fact that there are no dual-weilding swordsmen in smash, and he's fairly unique as well

Opinion.

5. Pac-man isn't really popular, he's just expected. Lloyd is a much more popular (I think, don't bash me on this one, its more of a guess)

Lol Lloyd more popular than Pac-Man. Are you joking man?
---
I am not changing this signature until Mewtwo/Dr. Mario is confirmed for Smash 4.
Jesus is the best ever! (B)uilt (O)n (S)elf (S)uccess.
#3ViewtifulGenePosted 1/26/2013 9:56:27 AM(edited)
1. Doesn't mean **** without proof that Sakurai will listen to that particular request.
2. Lloyd's game was ported to PS2 with new content. So much for the idea that he's purely Nintendo. And there are other Tales characters who have appeared on Nintendo consoles since then. Lloyd is not special as a Namco character or even as a Tales character since they have all appeared on non-Nintendo consoles.
3. Lloyd hasn't really been noticeable since the GCN era. And you make it sound like people are incapable of recognizing Pac Man as anything other than a flat circle.
4. Sakurai should have no problem making a Pac Man moveset either, given his material from Pac Man World games. Lloyd is not special for having a moveset.
5. You have no proof of this.
---
"Once again, ViewtifulGene's logic blows minds and crushes dreams." -TheGamingGolfer
"Supez teh king" -dedekong
#4MooglePeruPosted 1/26/2013 9:58:01 AM
Stop being a Symphonia fanboy.
---
My Backloggery: Only fun games allowed!
http://www.backloggery.com/moogleperu
#5Zohar_MetatronPosted 1/26/2013 10:08:14 AM
1. Yeah, and honestly the battle system would translate well. This is about the only reason a Tales character stands a ghost of a chance.

2. He has one game on a Nintendo console that got ported to another system as a more definitive version, had a bit part in a poorly-received sequel to said game, and was included as a cameo character in a spinoff of another game that nobody cares about. If you have to use Soul Calibur Legends as proof of anything you've probably got a weak case.

3. Yes, why DO I think Disney used the retro design in a movie that glorified retro games?

4. Lloyd would translate well, also true of anyone else in the series, but this really is irrelevant.

5. Dude, I worked retail for awhile and know people who still work retail. People were hundreds of times more interested in Pac-Man then they were in any retail RPG. Why do you think Namco continues to put out Museums and other compilations?
---
Who took the bomp from the bompalompalomp?
#6LegendofLegaiaPosted 1/26/2013 10:11:55 AM
iKhanic posted...
1. The Tales director is codirecting. I know that Sakurai makes the final decision, but the thing is that he's made it pretty clear that 3rd party characters get in when people ASK for them to be in. Higuchi is in a position no one else is to ask for his characters to get in.

1. Just because Sakurai put Snake in Brawl because Hideo Kojima begged him to does not mean that Sakurai will put in a Tales character if the Tales director asks for one to be included.
2. Tales of Symphonia was not exclusive to the Gamecube. Also, Pac-Man has been featured in two Mario Kart arcade games.
3. Lloyd hasn't been anywhere near as notable as Pac-Man ever. Pac-Man is still one of the most iconic video game characters in history, putting him miles ahead of Lloyd. It does not take a genius to figure out that the 3D model for Pac-Man is the same as the pizza shaped Pac-Man, especially considering how his 3D model is shown on newer versions of his arcade machine. You could say some similar about Pac-Man. While he isn't as huge as he was back then, he's still very iconic and known by practically everybody, gamers and non-gamers alike, and I'd still say that's better than anything Lloyd has ever had.
4. Simon Belmont would arguably fit much better in Smash than Snake, but that didn't mean jack **** for his chances. Lloyd is not unique for dual wielding swords. Pit already somewhat has this gimmick and it could easily be given to a decloned Ganondorf (thanks to WW) or Ghirahim.
5. If you have nothing to back this up, then don't bother using it in your argument.
---
Ninten/Giygas/Porky/Masked Man_Ridley_Black Shadow_Little Mac_Animal Crosser_Toad/Bowser Jr._Mega Man_Mewtwo_Palutena and Terra FOR SMASH! / = Either one
#7MARl0Posted 1/26/2013 10:23:59 AM
I laughed so hard at number 5. Wow, talk about out of touch.
---
Currently playing: Ninja Gaiden III: Razor's Edge (Wii U)
#8Zohar_MetatronPosted 1/26/2013 10:28:00 AM
In the benefit of fairness:

http://nintendoeverything.com/93862/yoshizumi-on-including-tales-characters-in-next-smash-bros-more/

Tales guys want one in and appear to have a decent relationship with Sakurai. Still, Higuchi also headed up Vesperia (only Tales game to appear in a very recent Nintendo exclusive) and Abyss (port, but still the most recent main Tales game on a Nintendo console).

So. Even accepting that a Tales character is possible, and even accepting that one get in ahead of/alongside Pac-Man...where's the guarantee it'll be Lloyd?
---
Who took the bomp from the bompalompalomp?
#9iKhanic(Topic Creator)Posted 1/26/2013 10:41:17 AM
MARl0 posted...
I laughed so hard at number 5. Wow, talk about out of touch.

Like I said, it as a guess
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
#10Gamer09ePosted 1/26/2013 10:50:31 AM(edited)
iKhanic posted...

Sonic was a no brainier to include in brawl, and i'm pretty sure there's a way bigger margin of people who actually wanted sonic in brawl compared to lloyd now. lets not also forget that the president of Nintendo Yamauchi and Shigeru Miyamoto are big fans of pacman so who to say that miyamoto personally ask namco and sakurai to include him in the next smash bros., why would they included who isn't as big as pacman is, that like putting in Nights and Raiden instead of Sonic and Snake in brawl. And Come one Pac-man is Namco mascot. you honestly think that they would pass up the chance to put up their companies name trait mascot against Nintendo and Sega's..

did you forget that the tales series where ported to the ps2 and so on, Pacman was actually the First third party character to be included in any of Nintendo games.. Lloyd is not the "Nintendo- namco" character you claim he, ironically Pacman is...

See pacman doesn't really need to be "notable", He's a video game icon simple as that, his relevance just carries on just through his name similar to how game & watch and ice climbers were included into melee...

How many Sword wielders do we have in the smash series already? having one that's carries two makes no difference. how exactly would lloyd stand out when we already have 6 sword wielders Ike already has enough fire power for the series..

I won't bash you, ill just state that Lloyd is No where Near as Popular and well known as Pacman... simple as that...

---
Elektra for UMvC 3 and Pac man for SSBWIIU