Why would Sakurai not want many 3rd party characters in?

#11odanzrexorcPosted 1/27/2013 10:12:23 AM
videogamefan65 posted...
HakuMan111386 posted...
They should get involved in licensing hurdles

Completely and utterly subjective.

Because this isn't?

videogamefan65 posted...
There are a lot of Nintendo characters that (arguably) deserve a spot on the roster, especially those from entire series that aren't repped yet. More 3rd party means less first party, and for a lot of people, that's a bad thing.

The only people who really care about obscure first party characters are Nintendo fanboys probably already have their own Wii U and a copy of the game pre-ordered. Sakurai couldn't lose these sales if he tried.
---
Dracon's sexy new account
"Anyone who says we need another FF7 anything should have their bowels impaled on a spike and burned." - d209999
#12IngSlayerPosted 1/27/2013 10:14:28 AM
2 of out of 39.
---
Sedix: Baffling Artist
#13videogamefan65Posted 1/27/2013 10:23:41 AM
odanzrexorc posted...
videogamefan65 posted...
HakuMan111386 posted...
They should get involved in licensing hurdles

Completely and utterly subjective.

Because this isn't?

videogamefan65 posted...
There are a lot of Nintendo characters that (arguably) deserve a spot on the roster, especially those from entire series that aren't repped yet. More 3rd party means less first party, and for a lot of people, that's a bad thing.

The only people who really care about obscure first party characters are Nintendo fanboys probably already have their own Wii U and a copy of the game pre-ordered. Sakurai couldn't lose these sales if he tried.

Note I said "arguably". I'm fully aware that my opinions are opinions. TC on the other hand, basically said that Sakurai should totally get himself involved in complicated legal stuff just to please him.

Plus, there are plenty of non-obscure nintendo characters that still haven't been included.
---
Masked Man- Generic name, Awesome character
"Shut up or I EXPLODE YOUR HEAD!"- Mewtwo
#14Elec Man EXEPosted 1/27/2013 10:28:07 AM
Smash is about Nintendo characters. The 3rd parties are a bonus, not the focus. Adding a lot of 3rd parties and very few / no Nintendo newcomers wouldn't fit the core concept.

You bring up MvC and PSAS as examples, but they're in the exact same boat as Smash is, really. MvC is made for Marvel and Capcom, and thats all the characters they have. There are no outside characters like, I dunno, Superman or Link or whatever. The game is made for Marvel and Capcom, and thats exactly what its got, characters from those two franchises. PSAS is made with Playstation-related characters, and thats what its got. They don't have Mario or Master Chief.

Would having Superman in MvC have generated more sales? Master Chief in PSAS? Of course. Would having 10 different 3rd parties generate more sales for Smash? Yes in all cases, but it wouldn't fit the scope of the games.

And then there's the legal issues as already mentioned, as far as negotiations with other companies, royalties for using the characters, ect.
---
~ Master of Electricity ~
Electro: 0518-6613-7620 - Pokemon White