In regards to Palutena: Why does Kid Icarus even deserve or need a second rep?

#1SmashBro25Posted 1/29/2013 8:51:06 AM
I'm really confused to see Palutena headlining people's roster guesses, and even the fact that she is very popular in polls.

Why is Kid Icarus even warrant a second character? It's a series with a single playable character and only three games total. I sort of relate it to F-Zero. While another F-Zero character could be cool, there's really not a pressing need for one, especially when there are plenty of other characters from various series I would love to play as ahead of Palutena or Samurai Goroh, for example.

Can someone explain this to me? Because I still don't understand why Palutena is so requested or predicted.
---
Check out Pokemon - The Abridged Series at:
http://www.youtube.com/RocketsUnderground
#2LegendofLegaiaPosted 1/29/2013 8:56:14 AM
SmashBro25 posted...
I'm really confused to see Palutena headlining people's roster guesses, and even the fact that she is very popular in polls.

Because people like her. What's so questionable about that?

While another F-Zero character could be cool, there's really not a pressing need for one,

Please define "need" because I don't think you (or anyone else on this board, for that matter) actually understand what it means.

Why is there a "pressing need" for any newcomer at this point? All of the obvious choices are already playable, so I don't understand this whole idea behind certain newcomers being "necessities".

especially when there are plenty of other characters from various series I would love to play as ahead of Palutena or Samurai Goroh, for example.

Keyword being "I".

Just because you don't want a KI or F-Zero rep does not mean others should feel the same way.
---
Ninten/Giygas/Porky/Masked Man_Ridley_Black Shadow_Little Mac_Animal Crosser_Toad/Bowser Jr._Mega Man_Mewtwo_Palutena and Terra FOR SMASH! / = Either one
#3jakestar0306Posted 1/29/2013 8:56:36 AM
Play Uprising.
---
Mega Man Powered Up is the best PSP exclusive and you know it.
#4victinivcreate1Posted 1/29/2013 8:56:41 AM
SmashBro25 posted...

Why is Kid Icarus even warrant a second character? It's a series with a single playable character and only three games total. I sort of relate it to F-Zero. While another F-Zero character could be cool, there's really not a pressing need for one, especially when there are plenty of other characters from various series I would love to play as ahead of Palutena or Samurai Goroh, for example.

Can someone explain this to me? Because I still don't understand why Palutena is so requested or predicted.

Sakurai reinvented her.

She' gorgeous, and can fight as well.

Kid Icarus Uprising is among the best 3DS games ever made
---
Genesect, Mewtwo, Ridley, Shulk, Palutena, Megaman, Isaac, Saki, Toad, King K. Rool, Ghirahim, Roy, Little Mac, Megaman, and DLC for SSB4
#5MottmanPosted 1/29/2013 8:57:41 AM
Mother is a series with only three games total, and while it has different playable characters, two are basically renamed lookalikes (Ninten and Ness). Yet it has two playable characters. I think there is sufficient precedent.

Plus, Sakurai made KI:U, and he doesn't seem to be as shy as he was about including characters from games he's made as he was in the Melee days. Also, Nintendo could want Palutena added as further promotion of Uprising since it's a fairly recent game.

Any way you look at it, she has pretty good chances, both logically from a pure "numbers" perspective and in terms of what Sakurai and Nintendo might want.
---
"Champions don't whine, they win!" - Vangarre from Xenoblade Chronicles
"Soon we will see Pokemon XXX." - Kooky_von_Koopa
#6Goshner2Posted 1/29/2013 8:58:26 AM
LegendofLegaia posted...
especially when there are plenty of other characters from various series I would love to play as ahead of Palutena or Samurai Goroh, for example.

Keyword being "I".

Just because you don't want a KI or F-Zero rep does not mean others should feel the same way.

So, is there actually criteria in the English language for what defines a keyword, or can you just go around calling whatever word you want a keyword?
---
Deceased Prince of Popcorn of the Skyward Sword Board
#7BurnumMasterPosted 1/29/2013 8:58:41 AM
in short: It doesn't deserve another rep.
---
GT:BurnumMaster
#8SmashBro25(Topic Creator)Posted 1/29/2013 9:01:38 AM
Mottman posted...
Mother is a series with only three games total, and while it has different playable characters, two are basically renamed lookalikes (Ninten and Ness). Yet it has two playable characters. I think there is sufficient precedent.

In regards to Mother, I think the fact that there are different protagonists at least justifies both Ness and Lucas. Pit is the only playable character in KI, and Palutena is simply a supporting one.
---
#9jakestar0306Posted 1/29/2013 9:02:57 AM
SmashBro25 posted...
Mottman posted...

In regards to Mother, I think the fact that there are different protagonists at least justifies both Ness and Lucas. Pit is the only playable character in KI, and Palutena is simply a supporting one.

More proof that you haven't played Uprising.
---
Mega Man Powered Up is the best PSP exclusive and you know it.
#10SmashBro25(Topic Creator)Posted 1/29/2013 9:06:52 AM
LegendofLegaia posted...
SmashBro25 posted...

Because people like her. What's so questionable about that?

While another F-Zero character could be cool, there's really not a pressing need for one,

Please define "need" because I don't think you (or anyone else on this board, for that matter) actually understand what it means.

Why is there a "pressing need" for any newcomer at this point? All of the obvious choices are already playable, so I don't understand this whole idea behind certain newcomers being "necessities".

Keyword being "I".

First off, condescension doesn't get you anywhere.

And yes, I think it is fair to say that some series have more "need" than others. People request King K. Rool and Ridley perhaps the most- DK and Metroid are major, recurring Nintendo series, much more so than Kid Icarus. I think it's fair to say they need/deserve a newcomer more than Kid Icarus does.

As for defining need, it quite literally is the great potential for an addition that has yet to have happened. I think Kirby demonstrated "need" prior to Brawl, and with Brawl that need has been entirely satisfied. Diddy Kong also went towards filling DK's "need", but King K. Rool, for example, is major enough of a character in the series to warrant tremendous consideration for inclusion, combined with the fact that the DK series has a limited number of reps.
---