Sakurai is about to make Nintendo bankrupt.

#41TrueKirbyPosted 1/31/2013 9:32:55 PM
Chzrm, if I were youz, I wouldz runz awayz to the Paly Stition Al Shtarz Battulo Royle Board.
---
I had a bowl of milk for breakfast. Without any milk. People who agree:1 People who don't agree:0
#42GenoPosted 2/1/2013 12:59:54 AM
usaamahlink posted...
I know right? I feel pretty bad for Sakurai, sometimes, I mean hes a brilliant game designer.. but to work endlessly on a specific game (Smash Bros) would get somewhat monotonous for anyone, with all the balancing and hitboxes and advanced techniques and IDK what else, but clearly its much more tedious to program than to play.
Sakurais already kind of being forced to make these games (Brawl, the Wii U version) I mean hes passionate and pretty focused on the details but Iwata and Reggie through stuff in there making his job harder. He hasnt gotten much of a chance to explore different genres or anything, I mean, hes worked on Kirby as a 19 year old, then... Smash? and finally KI. Now more Smash..
Take it however you will, but..... TCs post is pretty ridiculous and Id say borderline insanity/raving.

Well, you see, thing about that is that Iwata approached Sakurai and asked him politely to develop Brawl. There was no forcing, it was a completely voluntary decision. If Sakurai wasn't up for it, he'd never have accepted. And he's said countless times that certain aspects of creating Smash are 'fun', 'challenging' and 'exciting', and unless they're gross mistranslations on someone else's part, I'd say that there's not much about the job that the guy doesn't like.

Not to mention the guy clearly loves his Nintendo. It shows in every Smash he's developed with the time and resources he's had to develop them with.

So giving the guy pity for again being asked to, again voluntarily, help develop a game that was probably already under development when he was asked to help develop it, and then voluntarily accepting to do so? Sakurai had nothing between him and saying no, not even when the CEO of the friggin' company asked him to do it.

Either way, Sakurai was given some pretty crazy freedom to do what he wanted with Kid Icarus, and said that he wouldn't work on Smash 'til Kid Icarus was ready. If they had 'forced' him to work on Smash they'd have pushed him into the project the second Kid Icarus hit QA.

No, Sakurai is not poor, and the guy doesn't really deserve any pity (except for maybe the fact that he's clearly overworked, but isn't that Japanese culture at its finest?). He's got a great job, a great group of people, and he's a talented and respected developer. Not a whole lot of people get the kind of wiggle room that Sakurai's been given.
---
3DS: 2363 - 5923 - 1853
#43ChocerPosted 2/1/2013 9:39:35 AM
It takes a while to make a game. Cut him some slack. He also has RSI.
He wants to get it perfect.
---
For it is in that Sacred Realm that one will find the divine relic, the Triforce, which contains the essence of the gods.
#44JangobadassPosted 2/1/2013 10:33:13 AM
If Ninty could survive the Virtual Boy Disaster, they can survive this
---
http://my.deviantart.com/messages/#/d5s91s7
Dear Other M: THIS is how an encounter between Samus & Ridley should go
#45bnui_ransderPosted 2/1/2013 11:26:39 AM
I was reading your points objectively, until I got to

Like myself,

Just.... no.
---
http://steamcommunity.com/id/bnui
http://i.imgur.com/JIETL.png - an artists rendition of me
#46usaamahlinkPosted 2/1/2013 12:15:05 PM
Geno posted...
usaamahlink posted...
I know right? I feel pretty bad for Sakurai, sometimes, I mean hes a brilliant game designer.. but to work endlessly on a specific game (Smash Bros) would get somewhat monotonous for anyone, with all the balancing and hitboxes and advanced techniques and IDK what else, but clearly its much more tedious to program than to play.
Sakurais already kind of being forced to make these games (Brawl, the Wii U version) I mean hes passionate and pretty focused on the details but Iwata and Reggie through stuff in there making his job harder. He hasnt gotten much of a chance to explore different genres or anything, I mean, hes worked on Kirby as a 19 year old, then... Smash? and finally KI. Now more Smash..
Take it however you will, but..... TCs post is pretty ridiculous and Id say borderline insanity/raving.

Well, you see, thing about that is that Iwata approached Sakurai and asked him politely to develop Brawl. There was no forcing, it was a completely voluntary decision. If Sakurai wasn't up for it, he'd never have accepted. And he's said countless times that certain aspects of creating Smash are 'fun', 'challenging' and 'exciting', and unless they're gross mistranslations on someone else's part, I'd say that there's not much about the job that the guy doesn't like.

Not to mention the guy clearly loves his Nintendo. It shows in every Smash he's developed with the time and resources he's had to develop them with.

So giving the guy pity for again being asked to, again voluntarily, help develop a game that was probably already under development when he was asked to help develop it, and then voluntarily accepting to do so? Sakurai had nothing between him and saying no, not even when the CEO of the friggin' company asked him to do it.

Either way, Sakurai was given some pretty crazy freedom to do what he wanted with Kid Icarus, and said that he wouldn't work on Smash 'til Kid Icarus was ready. If they had 'forced' him to work on Smash they'd have pushed him into the project the second Kid Icarus hit QA.

No, Sakurai is not poor, and the guy doesn't really deserve any pity (except for maybe the fact that he's clearly overworked, but isn't that Japanese culture at its finest?). He's got a great job, a great group of people, and he's a talented and respected developer. Not a whole lot of people get the kind of wiggle room that Sakurai's been given.

I agree with what you said, but I was specifically referring not to the overall scheme of things, but details like them announcing that the game will be on both 3DS and Wii U then telling Sakurai, okay time to make the game now. I agree he is hardworking, and he doesnt really warrant, or im sure wouldnt want pity for that, (Hardworkingness is probably one of the most admirable qualities in a human)...
I maybe overemphasized the point I was making, in reality thats only a small part of his job, and the rest of it is great enough.
---
Currently playing: Chrono Trigger, The Last Story, Vandal Hearts, Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis.
#47enterthemadroxPosted 2/1/2013 12:40:28 PM
People haven't bought a Wii U because they're waiting for Smash?

Ok....

I know I don't have one yet because money's tight in today's economy, has been since the crisis began in 2008.
---
Getting awfully tired of GameFAQs mods removing my posts for being "offensive" when I've done nothing wrong
#48Lexmark1989Posted 2/1/2013 1:25:01 PM
Actually MHwiiU will boost wiiU sales a little bit and mariokart will boost them alot this year as its a bigger heavy hitter than smash weather you want to believe it or not.
---
I'm a ladies man and i loves my ladies
#49GenoPosted 2/1/2013 10:07:02 PM
usaamahlink posted...
I agree with what you said, but I was specifically referring not to the overall scheme of things, but details like them announcing that the game will be on both 3DS and Wii U then telling Sakurai, okay time to make the game now. I agree he is hardworking, and he doesnt really warrant, or im sure wouldnt want pity for that, (Hardworkingness is probably one of the most admirable qualities in a human)...
I maybe overemphasized the point I was making, in reality thats only a small part of his job, and the rest of it is great enough.

Understandable.

And if I'm not mistaken, the 3DS version with connectivity between the Wii U and 3DS versions was announced mostly because they knew they could do it, and all three companies know how to develop for the 3DS.

Not to mention, Sora's coming into Smash right out of their Kid Icarus high, so I'm sure all that 3DS programming is pretty fresh on their minds. I'm not surprised they decided to do it, but I will admit they should have waited a year to announce it with more information behind it.
---
3DS: 2363 - 5923 - 1853