Does Roy have a chance still?

#1victinivcreate1Posted 1/31/2013 10:43:35 AM
Does Roy have a chance now?

He still is one of the most requested in Japan, near comparable to Mewtwo. But does Chrom now outshine even Mewtwo in terms of popularity? I hope not. I like Ike, but Roy's my boy. Chrom's the bomb too.

Your thoughts on everyone's favorite Red head?
---
Genesect, Mewtwo, Ridley, Shulk, Palutena, Megaman, Isaac, Saki, Toad, King K. Rool, Ghirahim, Roy, Little Mac, Megaman, and DLC for SSB4
#2LordAlistairPosted 1/31/2013 10:45:40 AM
Roy is more popular than Chrom.

Chrom just has a lot of people who expect he'll be in cause he's new, which really doesn't mean anything.
---
http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/9710/bossqt.jpg
http://www.zeldaeternity.com/2011/05/you-might-be-a-zelda-hipster/
#3victinivcreate1(Topic Creator)Posted 1/31/2013 10:52:05 AM
LordAlistair posted...
Roy is more popular than Chrom.

Chrom just has a lot of people who expect he'll be in cause he's new, which really doesn't mean anything.

So Chrom is like Zoroark, but unlike Zoroark, Chrom has notable popularity
---
Genesect, Mewtwo, Ridley, Shulk, Palutena, Megaman, Isaac, Saki, Toad, King K. Rool, Ghirahim, Roy, Little Mac, Megaman, and DLC for SSB4
#4albertojz356Posted 1/31/2013 12:10:13 PM
As far as I know Roy's popularity is only by observation, and of one person only by what it seems. Things change with time and Chrom is the one who is scoring on official polls anyway and his game is making hot sales worldwide. So I wouldn't compare both of them imo Chrom is way ahead of Roy.

Roy's chances? I think he's got a small leftover chance, but nothing compared to what his fans work him out to be. Even if he was planned for Brawl he was more of a leftover last-minute filler like he was in Melee.
---
Pauline, Palutena, Medusa, Cptn. Syrup, Mike Jones, Andy, Lip, Eirika, Bayonetta, Mr. Peepers, Micaiah, Birdo, Anna, Lyn, & Shantae for SSB4!
#5Vegeta BebiPosted 1/31/2013 12:25:27 PM
albertojz356 posted...
As far as I know Roy's popularity is only by observation, and of one person only by what it seems. Things change with time and Chrom is the one who is scoring on official polls anyway and his game is making hot sales worldwide. So I wouldn't compare both of them imo Chrom is way ahead of Roy.

Roy's chances? I think he's got a small leftover chance, but nothing compared to what his fans work him out to be. Even if he was planned for Brawl he was more of a leftover last-minute filler like he was in Melee.

First thing to keep in mind when reading this post guys is that alberjotz is pretty much a big time FE female fanboy (just a few months ago he was parroting that Caeda of all people was likely).

In regards to his statement about Roy's popularity, its pretty much lots of people who have remarked on it. All the people who check out Japanese popularity on SmashBoards have said the same things about Roy's Japanese popularity.

Even in the West, Roy is pretty much the most wanted FE character.

Any character that is popular in Japan, popular in the West, and planned for Brawl would be hailed as a shoe-in. While I don't think Roy is a shoe-in, his chances are seriously underrated.

Roy and Chrom are pretty much the only new FE characters to expect for Smash 4. I would not be surprised if Sakurai put in four FE (Marth, Roy, Ike, Chrom) due to how popular FE characters are within Smash Bros.
---
If Sakurai thinks Ridley is "too big" to be playable, then Sakurai is "too dumb" to continue directing Smash Bros.
#6Vegeta1000Posted 1/31/2013 12:34:29 PM
Being the most wanted and actually getting in are to different things. Popularity alone will not get characters in. Even if he almost made it in Brawl, the fact that he was added so late in the roster and left out shows that he was not high on the priority list. He's just not relevant or important anymore to warrant a spot.
---
IT'S ME AUSTIN!!!!!
#7Vegeta BebiPosted 1/31/2013 12:39:06 PM
Vegeta1000 posted...
Being the most wanted and actually getting in are to different things. Popularity alone will not get characters in. Even if he almost made it in Brawl, the fact that he was added so late in the roster and left out shows that he was not high on the priority list. He's just not relevant or important anymore to warrant a spot.

Neither are a whole lot of other characters on Brawl's roster. Mewtwo is less relevant in the games, merchandise, and anime nowadays than Lucario, yet people feel more confident on Mewtwo's return than Lucario's solely due to popularity.

Personally, I think Pokemon is going to have six slots in Smash 4 though.
---
If Sakurai thinks Ridley is "too big" to be playable, then Sakurai is "too dumb" to continue directing Smash Bros.
#8Vegeta1000Posted 1/31/2013 12:43:16 PM
Neither are a whole lot of other characters on Brawl's roster. Mewtwo is less relevant in the games, merchandise, and anime nowadays than Lucario, yet people feel more confident on Mewtwo's return than Lucario's solely due to popularity.

Mewtwo is also more iconic being one of the first Legendaries and being for Gen 1. However, I don't think Mewtwo's chances are as good as people make it out to be. He's in the same boat as Roy (probably has better chances though). Other than Lucario and Ike, everyone else is still relevant to their respective franchises.
---
IT'S ME AUSTIN!!!!!
#9albertojz356Posted 1/31/2013 12:47:37 PM(edited)
Vegeta Bebi posted...
albertojz356 posted...

First thing to keep in mind when reading this post guys is that alberjotz is pretty much a big time FE female fanboy (just a few months ago he was parroting that Caeda of all people was likely).

In regards to his statement about Roy's popularity, its pretty much lots of people who have remarked on it. All the people who check out Japanese popularity on SmashBoards have said the same things about Roy's Japanese popularity.

Even in the West, Roy is pretty much the most wanted FE character.

Any character that is popular in Japan, popular in the West, and planned for Brawl would be hailed as a shoe-in. While I don't think Roy is a shoe-in, his chances are seriously underrated.

Roy and Chrom are pretty much the only new FE characters to expect for Smash 4. I would not be surprised if Sakurai put in four FE (Marth, Roy, Ike, Chrom) due to how popular FE characters are within Smash Bros.

This is also stuff that happened well before any news of Awakening for us and regardless of who I support or not your comment about me supporting Caeda does not belittle or counter my argument.

Also considering your comment that there are many people claiming to visit Japanese forums. Consider that none of these other people bother claiming this, at least not here. So it looks like it's only one person who claims these things. Regardless of how many they are, it all boils down to observations. Observations are much different than official polls so until I see Roy scoring on them I won't believe it. I've seen Chrom score on them and i've also seen how much success Awakening built so it's much easier for me to believe he would happen. It also seems funny comparing the two on the same level. Considering what happened to Roy in Brawl as he was left at a much lesser priority than Ike I really doubt he'd be placed as much priority as Chrom.

To your comment about Roy being the most popular character in the west. How exactly do you measure his popularity? As far as I can tell there seems to be much more noise about Chrom.
---
Pauline, Palutena, Medusa, Cptn. Syrup, Mike Jones, Andy, Lip, Eirika, Bayonetta, Mr. Peepers, Micaiah, Birdo, Anna, Lyn, & Shantae for SSB4!
#10Vegeta BebiPosted 1/31/2013 12:53:42 PM
albertojz356 posted...

Also considering your comment that there are many people claiming to visit Japanese forums. Consider that none of these other people bother claiming this, at least not here. So it looks like it's only one person who claims these things. Regardless of how many they are, it all boils down to observations. Observations are much different than official polls so until I see Roy scoring on them I won't believe it.

That's because all of those other people who also observe Japanese popularity all post at SmashBoards. The only one that does it that posts here is Snakey. At SmashBoards, go ask ChronoBound, N3ON, Starphoenix, and ToiseofChoice about Roy's Japanese popularity and you will find them say the same things as Snakey has.

You are clearly a fanboy who is butthurt about Roy's popularity.
---