This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Roy vs Chrom: Battle of Popularity

#41Vegeta1000Posted 1/31/2013 10:37:47 PM
We were going to get three FE characters in Brawl (until Sonic's late addition basically led the resources that involved Mewtwo and Roy being finished be diverted to including Sonic and all of the Sonic series content).

Maybe, but it didn't happen. If Sakurai really cared about Roy that much, he wouldn't had added him so late during SSBB' development.

We also had two FE characters in Melee, when series like Kirby and DK still only had one.

A 2nd FE rep wasn't originally planned though. Sakurai just wanted to pad the roster and Roy was easy clone material. Kirby stayed at 1 because Sakurai didn't want to show favoritism towards his creation. That had to change in SSBB (which did in more ways than one). I don't know why Diddy wasn't added in SSBM.

Considering that FE characters are usually among the most popular characters within each game so far in the Smash Bros. series, four characters would not be an unlikely scenario for Smash 4, even without the possibility of DLC.

Popularity alone will not guarantee a roster spot. You think FE deserves to have more reps than Donkey Kong, Kirby, or Metroid?
---
IT'S ME AUSTIN!!!!!
#42SnakeyPosted 1/31/2013 10:43:27 PM
Vegeta1000 posted...

Popularity alone will not guarantee a roster spot. You think FE deserves to have more reps than Donkey Kong, Kirby, or Metroid?

DK is a strong candidate to get four slots in Smash 4 as well. At the very least it will get K. Rool, and if it gets a fourth it will be Dixie Kong.

As for Kirby, the only plausible candidate for a fourth playable character is (Bandanna) Waddle Dee, and there is not much demand for him to be added.

As to Metroid, the only character people want to be added is Ridley. Metroid is a series that would be perfectly represented with only Samus and Ridley. The Metroid series is also only popular in the West, so its definitely not a series that should have four playable characters.

Secondly, there are a lot more ways to represent a series than merely just characters.

Metroid only had two playable characters in Brawl, but it also received an Assist Trophy, three stages, and two boss fights.

Representation in Smash Bros. for a series can extend outside of a playable character. The most apt example of this would be Animal Crossing.
---
Play It Loud
#43LegendofLegaiaPosted 1/31/2013 10:43:27 PM
Vegeta1000 posted...

You're assuming that whether or not the series is "deserving" will prevent FE from getting 4 reps.

Meanwhile, Starfox got 3 reps in Brawl and Metroid got Samus and Samus without her suit.
---
Ninten/Giygas/Porky/Masked Man_Ridley_Black Shadow_Little Mac_Animal Crosser_Toad/Bowser Jr._Mega Man_Mewtwo_Palutena and Terra FOR SMASH! / = Either one
#44UberPyro64Posted 1/31/2013 10:47:47 PM
Vegeta1000 posted...
We were going to get three FE characters in Brawl (until Sonic's late addition basically led the resources that involved Mewtwo and Roy being finished be diverted to including Sonic and all of the Sonic series content).

Maybe, but it didn't happen. If Sakurai really cared about Roy that much, he wouldn't had added him so late during SSBB' development.

We also had two FE characters in Melee, when series like Kirby and DK still only had one.

A 2nd FE rep wasn't originally planned though. Sakurai just wanted to pad the roster and Roy was easy clone material. Kirby stayed at 1 because Sakurai didn't want to show favoritism towards his creation. That had to change in SSBB (which did in more ways than one). I don't know why Diddy wasn't added in SSBM.

Considering that FE characters are usually among the most popular characters within each game so far in the Smash Bros. series, four characters would not be an unlikely scenario for Smash 4, even without the possibility of DLC.

Honestly, besides Ridley, what could Metroid have as a deserving rep?

As well I would say DK getting both Dixie and K. Rool is likelier than FE getting 4 reps however. Though I think we are only going to get 3 DK reps max.

Also Kirby is complete with what it's got.

I'm not sure between 2 and 3 FE reps but I doubt we are getting 4 unless DLC is a big factor. I firmly believe that Marth is absolute, Chrom is next up and probably the most likely newcomer. If we do get three, It's basically between Roy and Ike. I have no idea which we will get between them.
---
My SSB4 Roster: http://imageshack.us/a/img543/3938/potentialsmashreps3rost.png
#45victinivcreate1Posted 2/1/2013 6:36:04 AM
SharmHedgehog posted...
Michaeloll posted...
SharmHedgehog posted...
Chrom. Roy had his chance in Melee. Let's let someone new take the reins and represent the most recent entry in the series. Also, I personally like Chrom better as a character.

so i'm guessing you want zoroark over mewtwo?

welcome to the mewtwo haters club ^__^

Genesect

GENESECT FANS UNITE!
---
Genesect, Mewtwo, Ridley, Shulk, Palutena, Megaman, Isaac, Saki, Toad, King K. Rool, Ghirahim, Roy, Little Mac, Megaman, and DLC for SSB4
#46victinivcreate1Posted 2/1/2013 6:36:49 AM
Snakey posted...
UberPyro64 posted...
Whoa 0_0

Chrom is dominating this poll. Did not see that coming. Thought it would be closer.

There is a lot of people who vote just for Chrom just to spite Roy. I know for example the female FE character fanbase and Sigurd fanbase feel bitter about Roy (especially when they spent much of pre-Brawl bashing Roy with false information) still being a viable choice for Smash 4 while their characters are not.

If you want to see a fairer example of character popularity (since GameFAQs is waifu-land) go to SmashBoards and check out the Smash 4 poll there.

Lol Snakey
---
Genesect, Mewtwo, Ridley, Shulk, Palutena, Megaman, Isaac, Saki, Toad, King K. Rool, Ghirahim, Roy, Little Mac, Megaman, and DLC for SSB4
#47tehponycornPosted 2/1/2013 6:53:59 AM
Chrom, Roy is old and obsolete. Chrom will appeal to a younger and more wider audience.
---
Does your SSB4 roster have Shulk?...No....Then I hate it.
An Epic Fail is failing Like a Boss
#48fawful_XPosted 2/1/2013 8:33:02 AM
Roy's our boy!
---
If Ganondorf had a brick wall built in front of the Master Sword Chamber, he would be almost, if not impossible to kill. Ganon would win.
I have bad memory.
#49Ari917Posted 2/1/2013 9:02:07 AM
Snakey posted...
UberPyro64 posted...
Whoa 0_0

Chrom is dominating this poll. Did not see that coming. Thought it would be closer.

There is a lot of people who vote just for Chrom just to spite Roy. I know for example the female FE character fanbase and Sigurd fanbase feel bitter about Roy (especially when they spent much of pre-Brawl bashing Roy with false information) still being a viable choice for Smash 4 while their characters are not.

If you want to see a fairer example of character popularity (since GameFAQs is waifu-land) go to SmashBoards and check out the Smash 4 poll there.

So... just wanting him because we like him is out of the question?
#50Traptin3daysPosted 2/1/2013 9:02:13 AM
I voted on Roy because I like him :)
---
Now let's sacrifice some chickens! :D