This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

If being balancecd with less characters is better then having 100s of characters

#1Garfield64Posted 1/31/2013 10:20:58 PM
Then why is pokemon so psychoticaly popular?
---
WARNING: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/user.php?=2426382
Is a very well known Troll, please do not fall for their shenanigans!
#2Doug314Posted 1/31/2013 10:24:41 PM
It still has a balanced metagame if you just restrict it to certain playable Pokemon in each tier. If smash had 100s of characters, I'm sure the same could most likely be done, as just by random chance a lot of characters would get grouped together as being about as good. And Pokemon appeals so well to kids that don't care about balance. And it's just such an amazing concept.
---
Palutena, Isaac, Ridley, King K. Rool, and Anna for SSB Wii U and SSB 3DS!
SSB is the best series ever made!
#3AShockCipherPosted 1/31/2013 10:26:36 PM
I dunno, I'd like it somewhere in the middle.
I'd be happy if they kept Brawl's character size, but balanced each character better.
---
MFW I passed SS
http://aftershockcipher.deviantart.com/gallery/?catpath=scraps#/d4hajdo
#4Mewtwo_soulPosted 1/31/2013 11:57:25 PM
Pokemon is a breeder RPG it isn't exactly a great argument on balance.

RPGs just aren't. Even the best aren't fully balanced. [Dragon Quest Monsters/etc.]

Fighting games on the other hand should have a decent amount of balance, why Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 is more preferred than 2. \
---
Ignoring sheep. Best solution on CoD boards.
#5EarthLord_CJPosted 2/1/2013 12:21:32 AM
Doug314 posted...
It still has a balanced metagame if you just restrict it to certain playable Pokemon in each tier. If smash had 100s of characters, I'm sure the same could most likely be done, as just by random chance a lot of characters would get grouped together as being about as good. And Pokemon appeals so well to kids that don't care about balance. And it's just such an amazing concept.

I think this is what can be said for Pokemon.
It is unbalanced if you use it in the sense that most would judge, say, fighting games by (since there's not normally so many that you restrict who can be used against what). But the balance does exist, in the form of direct input from the community and such; hence why the Ubers (most Legendary Pokemon) exist for a completely different purpose of gameplay and meta-game than something like Raichu or Sandslash would.
---
http://i.imgur.com/qgqVy.jpg
"Don't wanna know...where the sinners go..."
#6PaulkotsuPosted 2/1/2013 1:35:59 AM
Pokemon is an RPG
---
"Cemith's dick is a tyrant"
#7SmallerRidleyPosted 2/1/2013 1:49:14 AM
You don't typically want to ban 10% of the roster into a SSS tier where everyone is clearly more powerful in every way than things in standard play.
---
Surely there's no problem with them putting me in Brawl, right?
It's ****ing satire, damnit. In NGE, Doritos are perishable goods
#8HejiruPosted 2/1/2013 7:10:24 AM
Go ask Smogon.
---
"The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction has to make sense." -Tom Clancy