GameFAQs trying to be satirical amuses me.

#1sterlingtygerPosted 2/3/2013 8:54:08 PM
"oh hurr hurr u say that 3 similar swordsmen from a series with heavy focus on varying weapon types is silly??? well i say that 3 similar plumbers from a game about plumbers is just as silly haha what now i have clearly outsmarted you now!!"

I recognize that Marth, Ike and Chrom are unlikely to be clones and could theoretically all be included.
I also recognize that Fire Emblem isn't ABOUT swords, it places heavy emphasis on magic and the weapons triangle, and making the only FE reps swordsmen has been and will surely continue to be an awful move on Sakurai's part.
#2liveman789Posted 2/3/2013 8:55:19 PM
I need to start doing productive things. This board always posts the same topics. I waste my time here too much.
#3ViewtifulGenePosted 2/3/2013 9:00:37 PM
Sakurai doesn't choose characters based on your weapon preferences.

Gaming is about more than punching people. It was an awful decision of Sakurai to include so many punchers in the last 3 Smash games and it would be an awful decision for him to add another puncher in this game.
---
"Once again, ViewtifulGene's logic blows minds and crushes dreams." -TheGamingGolfer
"Supez teh king" -dedekong
#4SpunkySixPosted 2/3/2013 9:01:22 PM
I kind of dislike that a lot too.

Swordsmen aren't a problem by themselves, it's that FE has way more in the way of variety that only having them is stupid.

I played SS recently, and loved it because of how varied the cast was. From playing Brawl though, I expected it to be a boring game about sword fighting with generic anime guys. That series is repped so poorly.
---
Tissue to the extreme!
Sometimes we even manage to speak words.
#5SpunkySixPosted 2/3/2013 9:05:15 PM
ViewtifulGene posted...

Gaming is about more than punching people. It was an awful decision of Sakurai to include so many punchers in the last 3 Smash games and it would be an awful decision for him to add another puncher in this game.

That's not the same thing. This is specifically about FE, which has so much more to offer than swords users. Why choose Ike when there's so many different classes that play important villain roles or supporting roles? The way it is now, FE looks like a boring, bland series and the most unique characters are nowhere to be seen. Since anybody could have a moveset, why choose anybody but the most interesting characters?
---
Tissue to the extreme!
#6LegendofLegaiaPosted 2/3/2013 9:16:23 PM(edited)
sterlingtyger posted...
"oh hurr hurr u say that 3 similar swordsmen from a series with heavy focus on varying weapon types is silly???

In a series where the main characters (AKA lords) are usually sword wielders?

Yes, it is silly of you to complain about it being "overrepped" with sword users.

well i say that 3 similar plumbers from a game about plumbers is just as silly haha what now i have clearly outsmarted you now!!"

I'm pretty sure the Mario games don't focus that much on Mario's plumbing skills.

I also recognize that Fire Emblem isn't ABOUT swords, it places heavy emphasis on magic and the weapons triangle, and making the only FE reps swordsmen has been and will surely continue to be an awful move on Sakurai's part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w48OJ-K8-UM

Note the amount of sword users in this video compared to non-sword users.
---
Ninten/Giygas/Porky/Masked Man_Ridley_Black Shadow_Little Mac_Animal Crosser_Toad/Bowser Jr._Mega Man_Mewtwo_Palutena and Terra FOR SMASH! / = Either one
#7ViewtifulGenePosted 2/3/2013 9:10:34 PM(edited)
SpunkySix posted...
ViewtifulGene posted...

That's not the same thing. This is specifically about FE, which has so much more to offer than swords users. Why choose Ike when there's so many different classes that play important villain roles or supporting roles? The way it is now, FE looks like a boring, bland series and the most unique characters are nowhere to be seen. Since anybody could have a moveset, why choose anybody but the most interesting characters?

Gaming in general has so much more to offer than punchers. Why choose any puncher when there are so many other different characters that use different weapons while playing important lead, villain, or supporting roles? The way it is now, gaming in general looks like a boring, bland activity and the most unique weapons are nowhere to be seen. Since anybody could have a moveset, why choose anybody who punches?
---
"Once again, ViewtifulGene's logic blows minds and crushes dreams." -TheGamingGolfer
"Supez teh king" -dedekong
#8SmallerRidleyPosted 2/3/2013 9:25:26 PM
Your mom trying to be satirical amuses me.
---
Surely there's no problem with them putting me in Brawl, right?
It's ****ing satire, damnit. In NGE, Doritos are perishable goods
#9SpunkySixPosted 2/3/2013 9:54:03 PM
ViewtifulGene posted...
SpunkySix posted...
ViewtifulGene posted...

Gaming in general has so much more to offer than punchers. Why choose any puncher when there are so many other different characters that use different weapons while playing important lead, villain, or supporting roles? The way it is now, gaming in general looks like a boring, bland activity and the most unique weapons are nowhere to be seen. Since anybody could have a moveset, why choose anybody who punches?

So Mario and Sonic's movesets focus on punching the same way FE sword users movesets focus on relatively generic sword slashes? The rest of the roster doesn't cover a wide variety of abilities beyond "uses a sword"?
---
Tissue to the extreme!
#10LegendofLegaiaPosted 2/3/2013 10:14:28 PM
SpunkySix posted...
So Mario and Sonic's movesets focus on punching the same way FE sword users movesets focus on relatively generic sword slashes?

Please describe the difference between "generic punches" and "generic slashes" and then explain why Mario and Sonic punching people is not generic, but FE characters using swords is.

The rest of the roster doesn't cover a wide variety of abilities beyond "uses a sword"?

In plenty of cases, a character just punches and/or kicks opponents with their A-movesets, but they have B-movesets that reference things from their games (such as Fox, Jigglypuff, and Yoshi).

Why can't Chrom have a spear attack as one of his special (since he can also use spears in Awakening)? Or hell, why not give him abilities he couldn't normally use, like magic? Zelda and the Mother reps have received attacks they've never used before. Considering how you can do this with pretty much any sword user's moveset, I don't see how it's warranted to complain about Chrom's possible inclusion, but support characters like Little Mac at the same time.
---
Ninten/Giygas/Porky/Masked Man_Ridley_Black Shadow_Little Mac_Animal Crosser_Toad/Bowser Jr._Mega Man_Mewtwo_Palutena and Terra FOR SMASH! / = Either one