I hope Sakurai is kept in check.

#1Meifumado9Posted 2/5/2013 1:16:12 PM
In case he does or suggests something that messes up the series even more.
#2Davidk92Posted 2/5/2013 1:17:43 PM
"Messes up the series even more" implies he must have messed up the series somehow before hand. Care to explain, kind sir?
---
"The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you can't do."
~Walter Bagehot
#3Meifumado9(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 1:20:56 PM
Tripping, SSE.
#4Chzrm3Posted 2/5/2013 1:24:42 PM
: D I like you!

And yeah, they really need to curb Sakurai's enthusiasm with this project. The guy's had a couple good ideas in his career, and he's leveraged those into being granted a seat of immeasurable power. As a result, the Wii U launched without Smash bros, and without any sign of Smash bros for years to come, because Sakurai wanted to fulfill his fantasies about Kid Icarus. XD

I'm fine with him being left on as a consultant. I think, for the most part, his rosterology is pretty sound. (I like the majority of the characters he's selected, with the exception of Snake and R.O.B., but 2 out of 44 is a good ratio, haha)

But yeah, some of his ancillary decision making is atrocious. A fighting game with a full-bodied story mode? Are you joking? If they scrapped SSE entirely and instead focused those resources on more characters and stages, Brawl would've been pushing 45 characters instead of 40.

What matters more long-term, a story mode where nobody talks and the boss is some random thing that Sakurai dreamed up in a fan fic? Or having a handful more characters?

He's got a sharp eye for marketing, I'll give him that. The Dojo with its nightly updates was a stroke of genius. He had us salivating harder than Pavlov's dogs whenever 3 am rolled around. XD
---
If I haven't mentioned Trivio in my post, it's because she is so beautiful and precarious that I just wanted to show her how much she means to me.
#5IlIlIlIlIlIlIlPosted 2/5/2013 1:25:33 PM
while i don't think they're OFFENSES AGAINST THE UNIVERSE and the series as a whole, I think people need to stop thinking Brawl was not without flaws
---
|N|M|E|
#6Chzrm3Posted 2/5/2013 1:29:46 PM
IlIlIlIlIlIlIl posted...
while i don't think they're OFFENSES AGAINST THE UNIVERSE and the series as a whole, I think people need to stop thinking Brawl was not without flaws

It's biggest flaw was focusing on a bunch of stuff that adds nothing to the long-term fighting game experience. As fun and exciting as all the stuff like SSE was in the months leading up to the game, it was something that the vast majority of us played once and never again.

What Sakurai needs to understand and appreciate is that he's not just making a normal game. This isn't just some fun thing that'll hopefully make Nintendo some nice coin.

This is the reason people will buy into this console.

If it's subpar, people aren't going to be buying Wii-U's, and that's a nightmare for Nintendo.

I've heard all these things from Sakurai about how the size of the roster isn't important, he doesn't want to scale it up, he wants to focus on balance, blah blah blah.

Honestly, I'm not buying this game, or a Wii U, if there aren't more characters added. I know I'm not alone here.

I'm legitimately concerned that he's going to waste so much time and manpower on story modes and other options that the roster won't be meaningfully improved at all, and as a result he's going to condemn the Wii U to death.
---
If I haven't mentioned Trivio in my post, it's because she is so beautiful and precarious that I just wanted to show her how much she means to me.
#7Meifumado9(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 1:33:02 PM
SSB hasn't been balanced in years.

Why is Sakurai on about that now?
#8Chzrm3Posted 2/5/2013 1:37:37 PM
Meifumado9 posted...
SSB hasn't been balanced in years.

Why is Sakurai on about that now?

Because he has no idea what he's doing, honestly.

He really, literally, doesn't have a clue.

Brawl sold 11 million copies - there is clearly immense demand for Smash.

KI:U has struggled to sell 1 million copies, despite being one of the few interesting games to buy on the 3DS. There is clearly very limited demand for KI:U.

Anyone with a modicum of intelligence would've just continued making Smash games, but Sakurai saw fit to ensure the death of his Project Sora squad instead. (the team disbanded after KI:U struggled to sell, which is really unfortunate. I feel terrible for all the poor people that Sakurai cost jobs. =/ )

It's not like this is the first time that's happened, either. Melee sold 7 million, and then Kirby's Air Ride sold 1.5 million.

Heck, if I was Nintendo, I'd look at that and say "Wait a minute. Maybe it has nothing to do with Sakurai (since all his other games don't sell.) Maybe it's just that Smash Bros is really popular!"

But that would require some critical thinking from Nintendo, and this is the company that released a 3D gaming device in an era where smartphones are making billions, and released a tablet tethered to a console. Critical thinking is about as important to them as the latest in Irish fashion. : P
---
#9Meifumado9(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 1:59:25 PM(edited)
SSB is a party game.

Sakurai going on about balancing the game sounds like he's trying to pander to the crowd of Street Fighter and Co.
#10SL68Posted 2/5/2013 2:04:42 PM
Meifumado9 posted...
Tripping, SSE.

Only desperate, competetive people were that annoyed by tripping. SSE was very enjoyable on the higher difficulties actually.