Your reaction? Nintendo goes the Skylanders route. . .

#1PunkNeverDiesPosted 2/6/2013 10:40:30 AM(edited)
All the characters and levels are real world toys. To use them, place the toys on a portal to select them.

The game ships with 8 or so character toys, and has an initial run of ~40 characters. Every "season" (Year, fiscal quarter, or what-have-you) Nintendo releases more characters and stage sets. Possibly even item sets, too.

The catch? Aside from the starter pack, each character has to be bought individually (or in certain bundles). Just for some hypothetical pricing, lets say the starter pack (The game) goes for $39.99 new. Each character sells for around $3.99, although you can grab three pack bundles (Say, the Mario bundle -- Luigi, Peach, and Bowser) for $9.99. Stage bundles come with a stage and character for $9.99. (For the record, these hypothetical prices are WAY more reasonable than Skylanders)

How would you react?

I was playing Skylanders with my little brother the other day, and realized that Smash Bros is pretty much the same concept, just minus the toys. Your characters are already toys, and you virtually decorate their trophy bases in Brawl.

I mean, on one hand my wallet would hate me. As a tourney player, I'd pretty much be coerced into completing the set so I can try out all the characters and get my practice in. However, as a hardcore Nintendo fanboy, having the little trophy/toy things would be awesome. Being able to take your toy (with all your custom settings saved on it) over to your friends house to duke it out has some appeal -- but so does, you know, just playing the game without needing to jump through the hoops.
---
GT: PNDMike
#2Dsurions_WrathPosted 2/6/2013 10:30:18 AM
No. Just no. If I'm already going to pay for the game I don't want to pay that much more for the majority of the characters. A few dlc characters is one thing, 80% of the cast being separate is another.
---
GT: Dsurion21
#3GenoPosted 2/6/2013 10:34:34 AM
At least this way we'd get more characters.
---
3DS: 2363 - 5923 - 1853
#4SalsaSavantPosted 2/6/2013 10:39:29 AM
One of the few ways Nintendo could convince be to NOT buy this.

Good thing Nintendo is more classy then that.
---
Not changing this until something impossible happens
Started 12/02/12
#5Elec Man EXEPosted 2/6/2013 10:40:16 AM
Burning hatred would be my reaction. I don't want to have to buy toys to play a game, especially not a game like Smash where it would be a huge change to an already established system (where Skylanders was made from day 1 to be that sort of thing).
---
~ Master of Electricity ~
Electro: 0518-6613-7620 - Pokemon White
#6PunkNeverDies(Topic Creator)Posted 2/6/2013 10:42:30 AM
I added some hypothetical pricing into the first post.

Yeah, I pretty much figured burning hatred would be the response. I guarantee Nintendo would make a ton of money off of this, though.
---
#7Dsurions_WrathPosted 2/6/2013 10:47:21 AM
PunkNeverDies posted...
I added some hypothetical pricing into the first post.

Yeah, I pretty much figured burning hatred would be the response. I guarantee Nintendo would make a ton of money off of this, though.

They'd also lose quite a few fans. One of the things they have my respect for is that they aren't as profit mongering as Activision or EA. (though they sure do milk their franchises, not that they're as bad as them)
---
#8PunkNeverDies(Topic Creator)Posted 2/6/2013 10:48:39 AM
I'm not advocating this idea, haha. I just wanted to gauge reactions for it.
---
#9scottwrittenPosted 2/6/2013 10:49:31 AM
I wouldn't buy it. In fact, I'd die of misery.
---
Do I believe in God? ...
Which one? Arceus? Palutena? Hylia, Nayru, Din, and Farore?
#10Dsurions_WrathPosted 2/6/2013 11:18:48 AM
PunkNeverDies posted...
I'm not advocating this idea, haha. I just wanted to gauge reactions for it.

Aaaaah. But you are right they'd probably rake in the cash. And I think you've seen the reactions well enough xD
---