Roster Limit: How Many is Too Many?

#1Shadow_CharzardPosted 2/9/2013 9:13:35 AM
In a time of fighting game rosters ranging from 20 to well over 80 playable characters, it's interesting to speculate where Smash Bros IV's numbers will lie. Brawl capped at 35, but to some, that's just not enough.

How many characters would you like to see in the next Smash Bros game? Do you prefer the relatively low amount (compared to other fighters), or would you want to see the Smash cast hit numbers close to that of Naruto Storm 3 and Warriors Orochi 3? Personally, the dev team could easily pass 50, especially if they brought back every Smash character that's ever been playable. And I think I'd be ok with that.
#2UberPyro64Posted 2/9/2013 9:19:27 AM
Except Sakurai said 50 would be good enough so don't expect more then that. Remember he counts transformations separately So Brawl had 39 to him. So expect around 46 for this game.
---
My SSB4 Roster: http://imageshack.us/a/img543/3938/potentialsmashreps3rost.png
#3PaulMalucciMDPosted 2/9/2013 9:20:14 AM
45 seems about right. This amounts to 8 newcomers with a few cuts.
---
Rating of LOST S3E15 - 7/10
"Its only like the most awesome hour of television" - Hurley
#4albertojz356Posted 2/9/2013 9:23:09 AM
Around 40-48 is what i'm guessing for this game.
---
Pauline, Palutena, Medusa, Cptn. Syrup, Mike Jones, Andy, Lip, Eirika, Bayonetta, Mr. Peepers, Micaiah, Birdo, Anna, Lyn, & Shantae for SSB4!
#5LegendofLegaiaPosted 2/9/2013 9:29:02 AM
Sakurai said that 50 character rosters had a certain charm, but had issues with balancing.

Since we had 39 characters in Brawl, we're probably only going to get a 42-44 character roster. Cuts are possible, but the majority of the Japanese fanbase really don't want to see more characters getting cut.
---
Ninten/Giygas/Porky/Masked Man_Ridley_Black Shadow_Little Mac_Animal Crosser_Toad/Bowser Jr._Mega Man_Mewtwo_Palutena and Terra FOR SMASH! / = Either one
#6ViewtifulGenePosted 2/9/2013 9:41:54 AM
I don't give a rat's ass about the exact number. I'll take as many characters as can be made unique and viable. No more, no less.
---
"Once again, ViewtifulGene's logic blows minds and crushes dreams." -TheGamingGolfer
"Supez teh king" -dedekong
#7HejiruPosted 2/9/2013 9:55:10 AM
UberPyro64 posted...
Except Sakurai said 50 would be good enough so don't expect more then that.

No he didn't, he said the exact opposite of that. He said saying that "50 characters is good enough" is a bad thing. Sakurai himself thinks we've already reached the limit, which would mean we probably won't have a roster much bigger than Brawl.

And it's 37, not 39. Sakurai counts Sheik and Zero Suit Samus as separate but he counts Pokemon Trainer as one.
---
"The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction has to make sense." -Tom Clancy
#8Drag0nBladePosted 2/9/2013 9:57:01 AM
45 and then DLC down the line.
---
I make video games.
#9LegendofLegaiaPosted 2/9/2013 9:59:02 AM
Hejiru posted...
And it's 37, not 39. Sakurai counts Sheik and Zero Suit Samus as separate but he counts Pokemon Trainer as one.

How do you know that?

Either way, PT is technically 3 characters. This is especially apparent if you've played Project M.
---
Ninten/Giygas/Porky/Masked Man_Ridley_Black Shadow_Little Mac_Animal Crosser_Toad/Bowser Jr._Mega Man_Mewtwo_Palutena and Terra FOR SMASH! / = Either one
#10VirusLordPosted 2/9/2013 10:15:43 AM
On the dojo he counted Pokemon Trainer as a single character, but separated ZSS and Sheik.

Anyway, I'd put 50 is the absolute limit. I can't see it going higher than that. I would like to say 45, with a few cuts to make room for new characters.
---
Ruler of the Unknown Universe
"Courage is the magic that turns dreams into reality." - Emil, ToS:DotNW