Somewhere along the way, Nintendo forgot how Marketting works

#1Goshner2Posted 2/10/2013 4:42:35 PM
The fact that this game didn't come out within a few months of the release of the Wii U is a big piece of evidence supporting that. Smash Bros. 64 came out a few years after the release of the N64 but that was because they didn't have the idea or know how popular it would be. With Melee, they knew what they were doing. It came out within a few month of GC's release.

Something happened between GC and Wii that made Nintendo completely unlearn business in general. It took years before Brawl came out. And that is just one symptom of Nintendo's sudden loss of intelligence.

Every other Nintendo system came out with games that demonstrated how the new innovations would completely reinvent everything we know about video games. The SNES had way more buttons and the early games utilized them. Super Mario World demonstrated that the increase in buttons could take a mainstay series and make it even more amazing by adding a whole bunch of new tricks. Star Fox demonstrated the kind of environments and objects they could make with their new technology.

Right out of the gateway, N64 showcased its great innovations. Super Mario 64 once again demonstrated that the new features would just take a mainstay series and make it even better. Along with that came Star Fox 64 with VOICE ACTING and some of the most amazing action ever seen. If there was anyone who doubted that 3D gaming was going to be huge, Ocarina of Time, Mario Kart 64, and Diddy Kong racing quickly silenced them.

Have you ever played Super Mario 64 recently? It's kind of funny. They just throw all of the controls at you all over the place. They really want to make sure you understand how the new style of gaming works. Navi in Ocarina of Time was the same way. That was why she was so obnoxious (telling you how to open a door). It was a whole new horizon.

Just look at the N64 controller. Ever wondered why it has three prongs? It's so that if people are uncomfortable with the new control stick method of playing (something that had to be invented for 3D gaming), they can revert back to the D-Pad. Ever wondered why they were C Buttons? It stood for "camera" (another concern in 3D gaming). Every detail was designed to make their innovations as exciting and fun as possible.

Gamecube (for as much as people put it down) did this as well. The biggest advancement it provided was the two control stick setup. And the games that came out demonstrated why this was a big deal. Pikmin had you control Olimar with the control stick and Pikmin with the C-Stick. Luigi's Mansion had you aim your flashlight with the C-Stick. They had games that were fun and exciting that showed that their innovations would make it fun and exciting. They actually planned these games to come out with the system.

And then the Wii happened... Not only did it leave you almost completely without the option of referring back to old ways of playing (as the previous generations had), but it came out with virtually nothing. There was no game that made you say "WOW! Motion controls are going to be huge!" They had no games planned from their big series to showcase how motion controls could improve them. Instead, they left you with Wii Sports and a hastily redone version of a Zelda game that was designed for Gamecube.

The Wii U is doing the same thing. What happened? Why has Nintendo stopped planning for their big games to come out with their system? Are they rushing to release their consoles? If so, why? It's only hurting them. Why should we be excited for a new system if they don't show us why it is exciting?

I just really wanted to vent this. Feel free to leave whatever post you want.
---
Deceased Prince of Popcorn of the Skyward Sword Board
"And I will never support Chrom." -Doug314
#2Goshner2(Topic Creator)Posted 2/10/2013 4:43:07 PM
TL;DR: Nintendo suddenly stopped providing us with games that show us why their innovations are exciting
---
#3MottmanPosted 2/10/2013 4:46:37 PM
LOL, I knew this when it took a grass-roots fan movement to get a JRPG rated 92 on Metacritic released in North America.
---
"Champions don't whine, they win!" - Vangarre from Xenoblade Chronicles
"Soon we will see Pokemon XXX." - Kooky_von_Koopa
#4Goshner2(Topic Creator)Posted 2/10/2013 4:48:40 PM
Mottman posted...
LOL, I knew this when it took a grass-roots fan movement to get a JRPG rated 92 on Metacritic released in North America.

Wasn't that really more of Square Enix's fault than Nintendo's though?
---
#5Davidk92Posted 2/10/2013 4:49:25 PM
Mottman posted...

How dare they.
---
"The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you can't do."
~Walter Bagehot
#6MottmanPosted 2/10/2013 4:50:03 PM
Goshner2 posted...
Mottman posted...

Ummm, I'm talking about Xenoblade, which has nothing to do with Square Enix.
---
#7Goshner2(Topic Creator)Posted 2/10/2013 4:50:54 PM
Mottman posted...
Goshner2 posted...
Mottman posted...

I thought Xenoblade was Square Enix? Or am i just completely insane?
---
#8MottmanPosted 2/10/2013 4:51:35 PM
Davidk92 posted...
Mottman posted...

How dare they.

If I had my way, pretty much every game would get released in every major region. It's not fair for anyone to miss out on a potentially great game, whether it's North America, Europe, or Asia.
---
#9Kooky_von_KoopaPosted 2/10/2013 4:51:49 PM
Goshner2 posted...
Mottman posted...
Goshner2 posted...
Mottman posted...

Completely insane. Xeno is from Monolith Soft.
---
I am not changing this signature until Mewtwo/Dr. Mario is confirmed for Smash 4.
Jesus is the best ever! (B)uilt (O)n (S)elf (S)uccess.
#10MottmanPosted 2/10/2013 4:52:18 PM
Goshner2 posted...
Mottman posted...
Goshner2 posted...
Mottman posted...

You're not "completely insane," but you're wrong. Xenoblade was published by Nintendo and developed by Monolith Soft.
---