Somewhere along the way, Nintendo forgot how Marketting works

#21ViviffTheMBAPosted 2/11/2013 3:42:43 PM
I would personally love to know what business insight you have over a global corporation with a $13+ billion market cap. Do you have some intimate knowledge of their cash flows, margins, and marketing strategy, and development operations that the rest of us don't? Seems to me they can't stop making money hand-over-fist.
---
Viviff being unproductive at business school! (Or, "networking")
http://www.mbasmakemoney.com/images/slices_01.jpg
#22Goshner2(Topic Creator)Posted 2/11/2013 6:19:32 PM
ViviffTheMBA posted...
I would personally love to know what business insight you have over a global corporation with a $13+ billion market cap. Do you have some intimate knowledge of their cash flows, margins, and marketing strategy, and development operations that the rest of us don't? Seems to me they can't stop making money hand-over-fist.

I like the part where you read none of the OP.

If you had, then I'm not sure how you missed the fact that I specifically asked why they suddenly stopped making sense.

Now, I'm not sure if you are aware of this, but when someone asks a question, it means they are seeking an answer. If someone is seeking an answer on a specific subject, that means they don't have the knowledge they need on that subject.
---
Deceased Prince of Popcorn of the Skyward Sword Board
"And I will never support Chrom." -Doug314
#23SpunkySixPosted 2/11/2013 6:30:38 PM
They just don't care.

I bought the 3DS on launch day, super excited, only to find that absolutely nothing was coming for a long time, and that the games that did barely even used the 3D beyond mild aesthetics. NSMB2 wastes the premise almost entirely and PMSS uses it to great effect for the first two worlds and then stops trying altogether. I don't even want a U until SSB now.

And then there's NSMB in general. Don't even get me started on that stagnant lameness.
---
Tissue to the extreme!
Rainbow Dash for Smash. Yeah, I said it.
#24Goshner2(Topic Creator)Posted 2/11/2013 6:35:25 PM
SpunkySix posted...
They just don't care.

I bought the 3DS on launch day, super excited, only to find that absolutely nothing was coming for a long time, and that the games that did barely even used the 3D beyond mild aesthetics. NSMB2 wastes the premise almost entirely and PMSS uses it to great effect for the first two worlds and then stops trying altogether. I don't even want a U until SSB now.

And then there's NSMB in general. Don't even get me started on that stagnant lameness.

Yeah, apparently going backwards in gaming is the way forward. Don't get me wrong, side scrolling platform games will always be fun. However, NSMB games don't really feel new at all, despite their name.

And yeah, they really just don't seem to care. It's going to end up hurting them when people get bored of the completely bland way they have stared doing everything. Give it one more generation. Either they figure out how to actually showcase their merchandise or I'm certain people will just stop caring.

How are we supposed to care when they don't?
---
#25ViviffTheMBAPosted 2/11/2013 6:52:06 PM
Well besides the presumptuous (and misspelled) topic title stating that they forgot how to market, let's pull out some assumptions your "question" is making:

Goshner2 posted...

Something happened between GC and Wii that made Nintendo completely unlearn business in general. It took years before Brawl came out. And that is just one symptom of Nintendo's sudden loss of intelligence.

Right out of the gateway, N64 showcased its great innovations. Super Mario 64 once again demonstrated that the new features would just take a mainstay series and make it even better. Along with that came Star Fox 64 with VOICE ACTING and some of the most amazing action ever seen. If there was anyone who doubted that 3D gaming was going to be huge, Ocarina of Time, Mario Kart 64, and Diddy Kong racing quickly silenced them.

Have you ever played Super Mario 64 recently? It's kind of funny. They just throw all of the controls at you all over the place. They really want to make sure you understand how the new style of gaming works. Navi in Ocarina of Time was the same way. That was why she was so obnoxious (telling you how to open a door). It was a whole new horizon.

Just look at the N64 controller. Ever wondered why it has three prongs? It's so that if people are uncomfortable with the new control stick method of playing (something that had to be invented for 3D gaming), they can revert back to the D-Pad. Ever wondered why they were C Buttons? It stood for "camera" (another concern in 3D gaming). Every detail was designed to make their innovations as exciting and fun as possible.

And then the Wii happened... Not only did it leave you almost completely without the option of referring back to old ways of playing (as the previous generations had), but it came out with virtually nothing. There was no game that made you say "WOW! Motion controls are going to be huge!" They had no games planned from their big series to showcase how motion controls could improve them. Instead, they left you with Wii Sports and a hastily redone version of a Zelda game that was designed for Gamecube.

The Wii U is doing the same thing. What happened? Why has Nintendo stopped planning for their big games to come out with their system? Are they rushing to release their consoles? If so, why?It's only hurting them. Why should we be excited for a new system if they don't show us why it is exciting?

So up top you call them out as being terrible at business and completely unintelligent. You can't stop yourself from getting aroused in the N64 paragraph, although from a business standpoint wasn't an enormous success given their track-record. You then lambaste the Wii even though it's their biggest console success to date and basically printed money for 4 years.

You fail to understand what "business" and "marketing" are (or how to spell them), and instead think that if you're not happy with certain aspects with the way they do business, they must be wrong. No, you're wrong. Consoles always launch fairly weak because developers are still feeling out the system. Nintendo AAA first party games move systems, and they'd much rather have systems move down the line when manufacturing costs are lower for better margins, as well as lining up with the holiday season where sales and competition are their highest. Just because you have to wait for games, doesn't mean a 13 billion dollar company doesn't know how to do business.

(and yes, I deleted some paragraphs for post length restrictions, not to skew context.)
---
#26Goshner2(Topic Creator)Posted 2/11/2013 7:24:05 PM
ViviffTheMBA posted...
So up top you call them out as being terrible at business and completely unintelligent. You can't stop yourself from getting aroused in the N64 paragraph, although from a business standpoint wasn't an enormous success given their track-record. You then lambaste the Wii even though it's their biggest console success to date and basically printed money for 4 years.

First of all, I'm not sure what your point that first sentence serves. It's also a little incorrect. I said they forgot how to be good at it, not that they never were.

If the N64 didn't sell as well (which you claim without any evidence) as future systems, it is because video games were not as prolific as they are now. And, regardless of sales, it still showcased itself incredibly nicely. That's the point of this topic. Nintendo has stopped doing a good job of making their systems LOOK good. Future systems might sell better but that is just because there are more idiots in the world willing to pay top dollar for mediocrity and half finished products.

You fail to understand what "business" and "marketing" are (or how to spell them), and instead think that if you're not happy with certain aspects with the way they do business, they must be wrong. No, you're wrong. Consoles always launch fairly weak because developers are still feeling out the system. Nintendo AAA first party games move systems, and they'd much rather have systems move down the line when manufacturing costs are lower for better margins, as well as lining up with the holiday season where sales and competition are their highest. Just because you have to wait for games, doesn't mean a 13 billion dollar company doesn't know how to do business.

The Wii has higher sales because it caters to the lowest common denominator. This might have immediately good results, but further down the road it just results in people losing faith in the company and getting bored of them. It's not just that I'm unhappy with it. It's that they give off the image that they just don't care. They aren't trying to make something good. They are just trying to get money.

If they don't care about their own product, then why should we? More and more, this is what people are thinking and people will keep thinking if they keep sending this message.

Also, if there is nothing on the game system then why buy it? It seems to me that it would make more sense to release the system with games that are fun to build hype over the system. If they want to release games around the holidays to get more sales, then fine. Release the system around then too. Otherwise, you miss the hype train.

In general, you seem to miss the point of this topic. I am not claiming that Nintendo has lost sales or that one console has done better than another. I'm saying that based on the current attitude they are giving off, if they keep it up, they WILL lose sales.

It's a simple logical conclusion. If people aren't given a reason to care, they won't care. When a system is released without any games that give you a reason to care, how will people be able to care?
---
#27ViviffTheMBAPosted 2/11/2013 7:49:43 PM
Yeah, you're literally just on a lower level that's not worth talking down to. Be naive and make horrendous assumptions, enjoy being wrong, whatever. I'm not going through Business 101 with you, because you clearly don't understand basic concepts.

</Viviff>
---
#28LegendofLegaiaPosted 2/11/2013 7:53:12 PM
ViviffTheMBA posted...
Yeah, you're literally just on a lower level that's not worth talking down to. Be naive and make horrendous assumptions, enjoy being wrong, whatever. I'm not going through Business 101 with you, because you clearly don't understand basic concepts.

</Viviff>

No! Come back!

This would have been an interesting discussion :c
---
Ninten/Giygas/Porky/Masked Man_Ridley_Black Shadow_Little Mac_Animal Crosser_Toad/Bowser Jr._Mega Man_Mewtwo_Palutena and Terra FOR SMASH! / = Either one
#29Goshner2(Topic Creator)Posted 2/11/2013 8:00:52 PM
LegendofLegaia posted...
ViviffTheMBA posted...

</Viviff>

No! Come back!

This would have been an interesting discussion :c

Not really. He's obviously a troll.

inb4justbecausehedisagreesheisntatroll

Does someone who isn't a troll really just call someone on a lower level not worth talking to for no reason?
---
#30GenoPosted 2/11/2013 8:04:05 PM
It's more like Nintendo's been taking the Squenix route to gaming and is throwing money at the wrong people and doing all the wrong things. Anyway, they stopped worrying about marketing and advertising after the N64 days 'cause Nintendo is a household name. As long as people know there's a Nintendo product out, they reasoned, they would only have to do minimal advertising.

This is largely why the Wii U is suffering, lack of games not withstanding. The lack of games is a whole 'nother monster.
---
3DS: 2363 - 5923 - 1853