I hope they get rid of the whole "Trophy" nonsense.

#11LegendofLegaiaPosted 2/10/2013 10:00:38 PM
SpunkySix posted...
Being toys clashes with the edgy feel of the series now.

http://images.sodahead.com/polls/002760907/1512213484_21883255_answer_2_xlarge.png

You're also assuming that they can't make things lighthearted in SSB4.
---
Ninten/Giygas/Porky/Masked Man_Ridley_Black Shadow_Little Mac_Animal Crosser_Toad/Bowser Jr._Mega Man_Mewtwo_Palutena and Terra FOR SMASH! / = Either one
#12sumostickfigurePosted 2/10/2013 10:04:31 PM
Yeah, they should just make the characters into stickers instead this time around.
---
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever.
http://i.imgur.com/Vgmi3.gif
#13Someguy_13Posted 2/10/2013 10:22:14 PM
l33t_iRk3n_Rm33 posted...
You do know it was the same in Melee, right? And they were plush toys in 64.

I liked the plush toys thing.
---
Survivor of the Yahoo Bunker War of 2010
#14ItsKaljinyuTimePosted 2/10/2013 11:26:42 PM
I have no problems with Smash affecting the actual canon. In fact, I would push for it if developers listened to wacky ideas like that.
---
Kaljinyu
#15LegendofLegaiaPosted 2/10/2013 11:35:21 PM
ItsKaljinyuTime posted...
I have no problems with Smash affecting the actual canon. In fact, I would push for it if developers listened to wacky ideas like that.

Perhaps it wouldn't be bad for the Mario and Kirby series (which pretty much never have dark or serious stories), but I don't think it would be a good idea to screw up Metroid or Mother 3's canon with Smash Bros.
---
Ninten/Giygas/Porky/Masked Man_Ridley_Black Shadow_Little Mac_Animal Crosser_Toad/Bowser Jr._Mega Man_Mewtwo_Palutena and Terra FOR SMASH! / = Either one
#16AvatarOfBaganPosted 2/11/2013 12:35:38 AM
LegendofLegaia posted...
Perhaps it wouldn't be bad for the Mario and Kirby series (which pretty much never have dark or serious stories), but I don't think it would be a good idea to screw up Metroid or Mother 3's canon with Smash Bros.

Beings of utter hatred and darkness that go out of their way to exterminate all that is good and happy? Zero and Zero 2 would like a word with you.
---
"Nonsense, Bagan cannot be defeated". - Aliens: Super Godzilla
Kool Frostbyte - XBL gamer tag.
#17Dsurions_WrathPosted 2/11/2013 12:39:47 AM
LegendofLegaia posted...

Beings of utter hatred and darkness that go out of their way to exterminate all that is good and happy? Zero and Zero 2 would like a word with you.

Not to mention Zero-2 was eerily dark. I think he is possibly the only boss in a Kirby game that actually would BLEED when ya hit him.
---
GT: Dsurion21
#18LegendofLegaiaPosted 2/11/2013 12:40:00 AM
Beings of utter hatred and darkness that go out of their way to exterminate all that is good and happy?

That sounds like a fairly generic story that you'd find in tons of family friendly movies, TV shows, games, etc.

But to be fair, I suppose I haven't played that many games in the series.
---
#19ItsKaljinyuTimePosted 2/11/2013 1:10:11 AM
What repercussions might there be if the Smash canon definitely affected all of the canons of the games it welcomes in? What problems might arise?

For instance, METROD. Ridley keeps coming back anyway, why not have it say And then one day on a routine rescue mission to "The Research Facility", Samus Aran is haunted by a very unfortunate ghost from her past... and chalk it up to one of his many returns?

That's just a small issue though, I'm sure there are complications. The question is, what would they be, and can they be worked out?
---
Kaljinyu
#20SpunkySixPosted 2/11/2013 1:31:46 AM
LegendofLegaia posted...
SpunkySix posted...
Being toys clashes with the edgy feel of the series now.

http://images.sodahead.com/polls/002760907/1512213484_21883255_answer_2_xlarge.png

You're also assuming that they can't make things lighthearted in SSB4.

Oh, I'm sorry, mass suicide bombing, child abduction for inferred profit, the near death of every Nintendo character in the multiverse and attempted universal oblivion are just so adorable, my bad. I'm sure a mentally stable little kid playing with toys came up with that one.

And yeah, if they make it cute, it's still stupid. Why not make an effort to fit it in to canon? All that can do is encourage actual crap from the series being in the game. As far as I'm concerned, "lol trophies not the real thing" was a good chunk of the reason the generic BS that was the SSE happened because it served as a one size fits all excuse. At least there'd be a little bit of a need to justify, oh, I don't know, like, ANYTHING that happened in-story if they did that without being OOC all of the time and forcing massive assumptions on to the player.

And it wouldn't even be that hard. Just swap out the generic Subspace crap for its actual series equivalent(s) and remove the trophy stuff and replace it with being KO'd or something. I don't want to play as toys of my favorite heroes and know that the whole adventure means absolutely nothing, I want to play as my favorite heroes. Now, it would be one thing if being toys added something important to the game, but it doesn't. It's a pointless artifact from SB64 and there's no reason to keep it other than the fact that it makes for a great excuse to not try with the story, and "lol tradition".
---
Tissue to the extreme!
Rainbow Dash for Smash. Yeah, I said it.