I hope they get rid of the whole "Trophy" nonsense.

#31demigodxseroPosted 2/11/2013 8:57:21 AM
This is literally the dumbest complaint for any video game ive ever heard.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/demigodxhero/
http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l406/n00b11CE/demigodxzero.gif
#32MrDrunkMonkeyPosted 2/11/2013 9:02:51 AM
_Super_Shadow_ posted...
It's supposed to be a dream like world, and the player is fantasizing about the possibilities.

Thats why Master hand is in a childs room at the beginning, etc. I think its really cool that its kind of a dream world created by the player in a way.

Hmmm so the evil neighbor kid stole our mewtwo, roy, dr mario, young link, and pichu toys. That jerk...
---
So... Hows the weather?
www.insomniacgamers.net
#33EJWPosted 2/11/2013 10:16:26 AM
I hope they stick with trophies or something similar.

Not that overdone "worlds colliding" thing.
---
"Google is your friend"
Google led me here now answer the damn question.
#34Iggy_KoopaPosted 2/11/2013 10:38:48 AM
SpunkySix posted...

And it wouldn't even be that hard. Just swap out the generic Subspace crap for its actual series equivalent(s) and remove the trophy stuff and replace it with being KO'd or something. I don't want to play as toys of my favorite heroes and know that the whole adventure means absolutely nothing, I want to play as my favorite heroes. Now, it would be one thing if being toys added something important to the game, but it doesn't. It's a pointless artifact from SB64 and there's no reason to keep it other than the fact that it makes for a great excuse to not try with the story, and "lol tradition".

At the end of the day, you are playing a video game about fictional characters. It's going to be all for nothing regardless. Shoehorning the Smash Bros games into everyone's canon would be STUPID if they aren't going to reference it. I don't see Samus thinking "I wonder how Jigglypuff is doing?" anytime in the future and nor would I want it. Why make things more convoluted? Some complaints are just egregious.
#35Sega9599Posted 2/11/2013 10:51:25 AM
fawful_X posted...
Do you think Zero, an eyeball boss that RIPS OUT ITS OWN GODDAMNED IRIS and comes back from the dead because of pure hatred isn't dark and edgy, especially for the series it appeared in (Kirby)? If a series that revolves around a pink puffball and it's rather happy adventures has a nightmare like that, I wouldn't believe Smash would not be able to come up with something dark and edgy.

Also, for anyone wondering, the iris is the colored portion of your eye.

Let's not forget Dark Matter. That psycho took control of all Kirby's friends in Kirby 64.
---
Waiting for Mirrors Edge 2 and a new 'proper' Shining Force.
#36LegendofLegaiaPosted 2/11/2013 4:00:18 PM(edited)
SpunkySix posted...
Oh, I'm sorry, mass suicide bombing,

Looney Tunes is dark and edgy because the characters blow themselves up all the time.

child abduction for inferred profit,

EarthBound is dark and edgy because Paula was kidnapped near the beginning of the game. **** everyone who praises this game for being quirky and lighthearted.

the near death of every Nintendo character in the multiverse

Except none of them ever died. They always just turned into trophies.

and attempted universal oblivion are just so adorable, my bad.

Almost every comic book series in existence is dark and edgy because there's usually at least one generic villain who wants to destroy the world "BECUZ HEZ EVILZ!!1!!1!!!1".

I'm sure a mentally stable little kid playing with toys came up with that one.

Yes, because children have absolutely no concept of what death is or self sacrifice, despite those being common themes in all media (including some Disney movies).

Also, children have never played games that would represent tragic events. After all, these are only a figment of my imagination:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-bj_vOrAIwq0/Tru3S4nhGJI/AAAAAAAAAVs/0ZMqBCogCuw/s1600/plastic-army-men.jpg

And yeah, if they make it cute, it's still stupid. Why not make an effort to fit it in to canon?

Because that would be insanely stupid and unnecessary, not to mention all of the plotholes that SSB's hypothetical "canonity" would bring into many of the series that are repped in it.

All that can do is encourage actual crap from the series being in the game. As far as I'm concerned, "lol trophies not the real thing" was a good chunk of the reason the generic BS that was the SSE happened because it served as a one size fits all excuse. At least there'd be a little bit of a need to justify, oh, I don't know, like, ANYTHING that happened in-story if they did that without being OOC all of the time and forcing massive assumptions on to the player.

What are you talking about? The characters being trophies did not affect Sakurai's decision to make the SSE enemies generic at all. He could have easily come up with some explanation like "these enemies came from an unknown world connected to the Nintendo universe" or something along those lines.

Going by the same logic, the Dissidia series should have featured Tonberries, Cactuars, and other well known FF enemies instead of Manikins. After all, it has the exact kind of premise you're referring to (worlds colliding).

I don't want to play as toys of my favorite heroes and know that the whole adventure means absolutely nothing, I want to play as my favorite heroes.

This is easily one of the most arbitrary complaints I've seen on this entire website.

Either way, your "whole adventure" means nothing because none of the characters or locations are real anyway.

and there's no reason to keep it other than the fact that it makes for a great excuse to not try with the story,

What the hell does it have to do with how much effort is put into the story?
---
Ninten/Giygas/Porky/Masked Man_Ridley_Black Shadow_Little Mac_Animal Crosser_Toad/Bowser Jr._Mega Man_Mewtwo_Palutena and Terra FOR SMASH! / = Either one
#37LegendofLegaiaPosted 2/11/2013 3:58:32 PM
ThatPersonGuy posted...
And... how exactly does anyone get in this one universe anyways? It sounds like a story that would be fine as a fanfiction, but no doubt piss off anyone and everyone as canon, with no potential gain in the process.

This reminds me of Dissidia's story.

That's another thing, too. They could completely **** up the personalities of certain characters for the sake of SSB4's story (they already kind of did that for Brawl). I really wouldn't want that becoming canon.
---
Ninten/Giygas/Porky/Masked Man_Ridley_Black Shadow_Little Mac_Animal Crosser_Toad/Bowser Jr._Mega Man_Mewtwo_Palutena and Terra FOR SMASH! / = Either one
#38MegaWentEvilPosted 2/11/2013 4:10:44 PM
**** everyone who praises this game for being quirky and lighthearted.

Giygas is lighthearted?
---
Aku wa yurusan. - Kim Kaphwan
#39LegendofLegaiaPosted 2/11/2013 4:13:26 PM
MegaWentEvil posted...
**** everyone who praises this game for being quirky and lighthearted.

Giygas is lighthearted?

There was an emotional moment in the first Pokemon movie where all of the Pokemon cried because Ash was turned to stone. I guess the entire Pokemon anime is dark and edgy.
---
#40MegaWentEvilPosted 2/11/2013 4:23:30 PM
Not the anime, but that movie WAS dark.

And I'm not saying a story has to be dark and edgy to be good.
---
Aku wa yurusan. - Kim Kaphwan