I hope they get rid of the whole "Trophy" nonsense.

#41SpunkySixPosted 2/12/2013 5:03:01 PM
Iggy_Koopa posted...
SpunkySix posted...

And it wouldn't even be that hard. Just swap out the generic Subspace crap for its actual series equivalent(s) and remove the trophy stuff and replace it with being KO'd or something. I don't want to play as toys of my favorite heroes and know that the whole adventure means absolutely nothing, I want to play as my favorite heroes. Now, it would be one thing if being toys added something important to the game, but it doesn't. It's a pointless artifact from SB64 and there's no reason to keep it other than the fact that it makes for a great excuse to not try with the story, and "lol tradition".

At the end of the day, you are playing a video game about fictional characters. It's going to be all for nothing regardless. Shoehorning the Smash Bros games into everyone's canon would be STUPID if they aren't going to reference it. I don't see Samus thinking "I wonder how Jigglypuff is doing?" anytime in the future and nor would I want it. Why make things more convoluted? Some complaints are just egregious.

Since when would it have to be shoe-horned or convoluted? You're assuming that they'd do it poorly, when in the end if done right, it would make for some cool things to be done with plot where it mattered if done correctly. No, Samus won't remember Jigglypuff. She might remember how she went to another universe and briefly found peace though, and a small nod to that would be easy to give without forcing it. Heck, the next Metroid could start with said peace ending abruptly without hurting the series at all. Or would that be way too complex for you?

Being trophies is completely meaningless at this point, as is going out of the way to not make the story mode canon, especially with any degree of skill, the writers should be able to make it work. The only thing that would limit them is their own suckiness, but any idea has potential to fail. Even Smash Bros as a concept could have failed, but obviously it didn't.

Besides, you do realize that in all likelihood, they'd work closely with the series creators... who know what happens next in the series. So they'd be able to leave off in a good spot fairly easily.

World's biggest problem? Clearly not. Kind of dumb? Yeah.
---
Tissue to the extreme!
Rainbow Dash for Smash. Yeah, I said it.
#42SpunkySixPosted 2/12/2013 5:07:42 PM
ThatPersonGuy posted...
SpunkySix posted...
How would it ruin the ending to see it continued? That's not the only way they could do it, by the way, it's just an example.

Besides, if you're so fine with this being non canon and the events of Mother 3 are unlikely to be undone in canon as it is, why would you even care what happens here?

Because that makes it even more pointless to begin with. These games don't need to try so hard to fit into canon, because at the end of the day Fox throwing a Mr. Saturn at Link isn't going to be canon no matter how you play it.

The lack of imagination here is startling. They can justify anything with clever thought without forcing it, that's how these games work in general. Why do people insist that this idea would somehow be difficult to do naturally, or forced? That's really, really closed minded. Besides, anything is better than "trophies in generic land".

And with Mother, how about instead of fixing everything, Ness and Lucas simply come to terms with it? Nothing is magically fixed, bittersweet ending.
---
Tissue to the extreme!
Rainbow Dash for Smash. Yeah, I said it.
#43goshner3Posted 2/12/2013 5:14:59 PM
I always thought of the trophies as a sort of avatar for them to transfer their consciousness from their own universe to this "Smash" one.

It's a lot better than acknowledging the fact that they are fictional like they did in the first one.
---
Not a Prince of Anything
#44trenton97Posted 2/12/2013 5:44:46 PM
Smash 64 was crazy dark. These toys are given life and sentience. They feel for the first time. They feel warmth, they breath, perhaps they even love.

What's the first thing they do? They start slaughtering each other in a bloody frenzy. Then when only one remains, what do they do? they kill the God that gave them life. Only to satisfy their only feeling. Violence. They lust for the screams of their fallen enemies. Master Hand is an altruistic being that gave them a chance to live. Then they use that chance go more hardcore than a SMT game.

Dark and edgy.
---
After I finish life the first time, I'm doing a challenge run.
LttP>everything else.
#45faramir77Posted 2/12/2013 7:44:57 PM
Being toys clashes with the edgy feel of the series now.

Only on Nintendo consoles would a game like Smash Bros be considered edgy. Good God.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiCtAUrZbUk
-- Defeating the Running Man of Ocarina of Time in a race since 01/17/2009. --
#46AvatarOfBaganPosted 2/13/2013 3:32:24 PM
MegaWentEvil posted...
Not the anime, but that movie WAS dark.

And I'm not saying a story has to be dark and edgy to be good.

Yeah, and in the american release, they also excluded the most important part of the story where an infant Mewtwo psychically communicated with the other 4 clones in the room, including a spotted bulbasaur (bulbasaur two) a striped charmander (charmander two) a squirtle with marks on it's shell (squirtle two) and THE DAUGHTER OF OF LEAD CLONING SCIENTIST.

Of course, the other 4 clones slowly died, the process being too unrefined and the stress drove Mewtwo into a panic, and the only way to calm it down was to try to rub out his memory with drugs, which worked, though he remembered that life was precious... HIS life was precious.

And then he woke up a few years later and killed everyone on the island because they saw him as an asset and not a living being.

As for Kirby Crystal Shards, yes, that creature at the 100% ending was 02 or Zero Two who shot exploding tears of blood at you.
---
"Nonsense, Bagan cannot be defeated". - Aliens: Super Godzilla
Kool Frostbyte - XBL gamer tag.
#47Iggy_KoopaPosted 2/15/2013 11:50:06 PM
SpunkySix posted...
Iggy_Koopa posted...
SpunkySix posted...

And it wouldn't even be that hard. Just swap out the generic Subspace crap for its actual series equivalent(s) and remove the trophy stuff and replace it with being KO'd or something. I don't want to play as toys of my favorite heroes and know that the whole adventure means absolutely nothing, I want to play as my favorite heroes. Now, it would be one thing if being toys added something important to the game, but it doesn't. It's a pointless artifact from SB64 and there's no reason to keep it other than the fact that it makes for a great excuse to not try with the story, and "lol tradition".

At the end of the day, you are playing a video game about fictional characters. It's going to be all for nothing regardless. Shoehorning the Smash Bros games into everyone's canon would be STUPID if they aren't going to reference it. I don't see Samus thinking "I wonder how Jigglypuff is doing?" anytime in the future and nor would I want it. Why make things more convoluted? Some complaints are just egregious.

Since when would it have to be shoe-horned or convoluted? You're assuming that they'd do it poorly, when in the end if done right, it would make for some cool things to be done with plot where it mattered if done correctly. No, Samus won't remember Jigglypuff. She might remember how she went to another universe and briefly found peace though, and a small nod to that would be easy to give without forcing it. Heck, the next Metroid could start with said peace ending abruptly without hurting the series at all. Or would that be way too complex for you?

Being trophies is completely meaningless at this point, as is going out of the way to not make the story mode canon, especially with any degree of skill, the writers should be able to make it work. The only thing that would limit them is their own suckiness, but any idea has potential to fail. Even Smash Bros as a concept could have failed, but obviously it didn't.

Besides, you do realize that in all likelihood, they'd work closely with the series creators... who know what happens next in the series. So they'd be able to leave off in a good spot fairly easily.

World's biggest problem? Clearly not. Kind of dumb? Yeah.

Not everyone's canon is as straight forward. If you felt the Zelda timeline was crazy before, just wait until we try to jam Smash Bros. into it. It doesn't help that some characters were out of character in SSE... Why not put Smash into everyone's canon? (like it would matter anyway if everyone gets explosive amnesia) Because like LegendofLegaia said, that it "would be insanely stupid and unnecessary, not to mention all of the plotholes that SSB's hypothetical "canonity" would bring into many of the series that are repped in it."
#48SpunkySixPosted 2/16/2013 3:45:41 AM
Again, you're assuming they'd do a poor job of it. I'd like to think that the writers at Nintendo aren't so clueless that figuring out how to work a crossover in to canon is too much for them.
---
Tissue to the extreme!
Hey, is that Jack Ryder up there?!?
#49kaliskonigPosted 2/16/2013 4:22:54 AM
Wow... out of all the things...
#50Meifumado9Posted 2/16/2013 4:47:48 AM
ITT: A series where Princess Zelda can win a fight against Ganon repeatedly and Solid Snake wants to eat Yoshi has to fit with other Nintendo series.