This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Sakurai - Stories in games don't often match with the content

#31VirusLordPosted 2/14/2013 9:10:49 AM
SpunkySix posted...
So... is Sakurai horribly impatient, or is he simply stating the obvious? Because he's either saying that he can't handle an interesting story for two seconds without squirming around in his seat like a rabid worm, (impatient) or he's saying that gameplay and story need to be balanced, (obvious).

And I disagree that somehow deaths MUST be gameplay related. I mean what, if it was up to him, no PC would ever die in a cutscene? How boring and predictable. Long intros can also be nice if done well and used to set up an atmosphere or introduce concepts... his complaints seem very closed minded.

Lastly, what has he been playing lately? Obviously not Arkham Asylum. I just played that, and despite being rooted firmly in a complex story and taking a bit to really pick up the pace, the gameplay and story integration is amazing. Maybe he's playing the wrong games?

As I interpreted it, it's not that he's saying that there shouldn't be story, it's that there should be integration between gameplay and story. If a game's gameplay clashes with its story, the game suffers for it. He certainly doesn't say that a game's story cant be complex. If anything, I would think that Arkham Asylum is the sort of game that he's praising here, where you play through the intro scene rather than just watching it.

Though I agree with you on the PC death bit. It adds some interesting depth to a game when you can't count on characters being invincible just because they're a part of your party.
---
Ruler of the Unknown Universe
"Courage is the magic that turns dreams into reality." - Emil, ToS:DotNW
#32Green MambaPosted 2/14/2013 10:45:50 AM
Jangobadass posted...
...Ya think we should tell him that the 8-bit era is over?

Though that explains why most of his games barely have a story.

NewMoonShadow posted...
That's actually kind of funny coming from the guy who co-wrote Subspace Emissary.

Strangely enough, the backlash seemed to reach him because he had more story, or at least ways to tell it, in following games (the narrator in Epic Yarn, Magalor in Return to Dreamland, and, of course, the dialogue in KIU).

You do realize Sakurai had nothing to do with Epic Yarn or Return to Dreamland, right?
---
God makes mistakes too...--duderdude3
Agree'd. Most of those mistakes post here.--SwordMaster100
#33JangobadassPosted 2/14/2013 12:02:30 PM
Green Mamba posted...

You do realize Sakurai had nothing to do with Epic Yarn or Return to Dreamland, right?

OH! O_O

Sorry
---
http://my.deviantart.com/messages/#/d5tcexk
Happy Anniversary!
#34The_Undying_84Posted 2/14/2013 12:53:17 PM
BurnumMaster posted...
majora999 posted...
Maetch posted...
SmallerRidley posted...
I bet he hated Other M.

Who doesn't (besides Sakamoto)?

I don't.

Because attaching yourself to a military operation and obeying your new superior clearly means Samus is a whiny little ***** who can't do anything on her own, right? LAWLOHTREHMSUXZORZ

Hey...remember that one scene where she became a whiny little ***** and couldn't do anything on her own against Ridley and Anthony had to save her?

And remember, this is Ridley as in the Ridley that she has already killed on her own 4 times.
---
PSN: TheUndying84
#35Bahamut_10thPosted 2/14/2013 1:13:09 PM(edited)
While Miyamoto has been spouting idiotic stuff from 2012 til today that makes me more and more disappointed on him, Sakurai continues to be my favorite game designer as far as his thinking goes.

I agree with everything he said. It would be great if the RPG (japanese or not) developers figured out ways to tell huge stories without making us sit and watch for too long.

And yeah, unavoidable deaths can be really ridiculous depending on the game. You're investing- I mean, WASTING- time for something the game will be taking away soon before you even reach the end.
This is one of the main reasons I hated Majora's Mask. Even if technically you completed things and helped people, the game will forcefully take a good chunk of the visible evidence that you did it since you will have to go back to Day 1 sooner or later to save your game...
#36SpunkySixPosted 2/14/2013 1:11:51 PM
VirusLord posted...
SpunkySix posted...
So... is Sakurai horribly impatient, or is he simply stating the obvious? Because he's either saying that he can't handle an interesting story for two seconds without squirming around in his seat like a rabid worm, (impatient) or he's saying that gameplay and story need to be balanced, (obvious).

And I disagree that somehow deaths MUST be gameplay related. I mean what, if it was up to him, no PC would ever die in a cutscene? How boring and predictable. Long intros can also be nice if done well and used to set up an atmosphere or introduce concepts... his complaints seem very closed minded.

Lastly, what has he been playing lately? Obviously not Arkham Asylum. I just played that, and despite being rooted firmly in a complex story and taking a bit to really pick up the pace, the gameplay and story integration is amazing. Maybe he's playing the wrong games?

As I interpreted it, it's not that he's saying that there shouldn't be story, it's that there should be integration between gameplay and story. If a game's gameplay clashes with its story, the game suffers for it. He certainly doesn't say that a game's story cant be complex. If anything, I would think that Arkham Asylum is the sort of game that he's praising here, where you play through the intro scene rather than just watching it.

...that makes sense actually, I totally agree with the integration part, if that's what he meant.
---
Tissue to the extreme!
Hey, is that Jack Ryder up there?!?
#37LegendofLegaiaPosted 2/14/2013 1:18:29 PM
SpunkySix posted...
It's closed minded to think that long intros can't be put to good use and keep players interested if done well enough. I'm not talking 15 minutes long, but I don't think he was either

I don't consider any intro that's 15 minutes or under to be that long, personally.

SS has about 38 minutes worth of cutscenes (not counting optionally talking to NPCs or how long it takes for you to go from place to place) before things start happening. I'd imagine that he was referring to something like that, but I guess that's just an assumption on my part.
---
Ninten/Giygas/Porky/Masked Man_Ridley_Black Shadow_Little Mac_Animal Crosser_Toad/Bowser Jr._Mega Man_Mewtwo_Palutena and Terra FOR SMASH! / = Either one
#38LegendofLegaiaPosted 2/14/2013 1:38:25 PM
VirusLord posted...

I can definitely agree with him on that.

A hilarious example of this is how in Dirge of Cerberus, despite the fact that Vincent can jump at amazing heights during the FMVs...

http://lparchive.org/Final-Fantasy-VII-Dirge-of-Cerberus/Update%2004/37-kalm34.jpg

He can't jump over these stupid barricades.
---
Ninten/Giygas/Porky/Masked Man_Ridley_Black Shadow_Little Mac_Animal Crosser_Toad/Bowser Jr._Mega Man_Mewtwo_Palutena and Terra FOR SMASH! / = Either one
#39Goshner2Posted 2/14/2013 1:43:48 PM
Old people...
---
Deceased Prince of Popcorn of the Skyward Sword Board
"And I will never support Chrom." -Doug314