POLL: Rate my new character roster (Version 7: no franchise gets more than 4)

#11liveman789(Topic Creator)Posted 2/14/2013 8:00:47 PM
LegendofLegaia posted...
liveman789 posted...
LegendofLegaia posted...
Wait, if the rule is that each franchise doesn't get more than 4 reps, why wasn't Red cut? He technically counts as 3 separate characters.

Well yeah, but Pokemon Trainer is still technically the character.

Mario has his spinoff characters, and Zelda has Shiek. So in each their own strange way, they all have more than 4.

Then your roster isn't actually following the "no franchise gets more than 4" rule.

Transformations still count as separate characters.

That's being a little bit too literal.

Pokemon Trainer is THE character. Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard are a part of him. The same way Sheik is a part of Zelda.

I'm completely aware that Sakurai counts them separately depending on the context, but in this situation I'm going based on the actual slots on the character selection screen.
---
My latest Smash Bros 4 roster: http://oi50.tinypic.com/2ykdu3b.jpg
#12LegendofLegaiaPosted 2/14/2013 8:05:07 PM
liveman789 posted...

How so? From a gameplay perspective, Zelda and Sheik are completely different from each other. Same goes for PT's Pokemon.

Even if Zelda and Sheik are technically the same person story-wise, they take up the same time and resources that any other two characters would take to include.

Pokemon Trainer is THE character. Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard are a part of him. The same way Sheik is a part of Zelda.

Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard are completely separate characters that happen to be controlled by a character from the background and Sheik plays nothing like Zelda.

I'm completely aware that Sakurai counts them separately depending on the context, but in this situation I'm going based on the actual slots on the character selection screen.

Wouldn't it make sense to go by Sakurai's rule?
---
Ninten/Giygas/Porky/Masked Man_Ridley_Black Shadow_Little Mac_Animal Crosser_Toad/Bowser Jr._Mega Man_Mewtwo_Palutena and Terra FOR SMASH! / = Either one
#13UberPyro64Posted 2/14/2013 8:10:40 PM
LegendofLegaia posted...
liveman789 posted...

How so? From a gameplay perspective, Zelda and Sheik are completely different from each other. Same goes for PT's Pokemon.

Even if Zelda and Sheik are technically the same person story-wise, they take up the same time and resources that any other two characters would take to include.

Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard are completely separate characters that happen to be controlled by a character from the background and Sheik plays nothing like Zelda.

Okay, he's going by 4 character slots max per franchise. End of argument.
---
My SSB4 Roster: http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/6329/ssb4february2013rosterr.png
#14Goshner2Posted 2/14/2013 8:12:56 PM
I only like 4 of them.

BUT YOU DON'T GET TO KNOW WHICH 4!
---
Deceased Prince of Popcorn of the Skyward Sword Board
"And I will never support Chrom." -Doug314
#15liveman789(Topic Creator)Posted 2/14/2013 8:16:41 PM
LegendofLegaia posted...
liveman789 posted...

I'm aware that Squirtle/Ivysaur/Charizard, Zelda/Sheik, and Samus/Zero Suit Samus all have different movesets from one another. I know that they take up the same time and resources. In a way, yes, they are seperate characters.

But each transformation of each character have a relation with one another that makes sense. That's why they are put in the same slot, which is specifically what I took into account when making this. Same thing they did with Brawl. No transformation got it's own separate box.

I can't tell if you're trolling me, because I assume you know what I meant.
---
#16Goshner2Posted 2/14/2013 8:46:32 PM
I agree with both sides of this "transformation debate".

From a gameplay point of view, it is more like having a larger moveset available than it is different characters. Zelda is a better example of this than the others. The best way to use her is to hit them fast with Shiek's quick but weak attacks then finish them with Zelda's slow but powerful attacks.

But, from the game makers' point of view, they are separate characters. Each one takes up a separate amount of time to make. Each one requires the same amount of planning, animation, and balancing (actually they probably take more balancing because how they balance alongside the other transformations is a factor) as any other character.

I'm not sure how the debate started and I don't feel like going back so I can't say who is "more right". However, I will say this. If the debate is about something related to production of the game (ex: time and resources), whoever is saying that they are different characters is "more right". However, if the debate is about something related to gameplay, then whoever is saying that they are the same character is "more right".

If you are arguing for purely aesthetic reasons, stop it. Unless you just want to argue for the sake of arguing. Then I suggest you continue because there is no possible way to come up with a consensus over aesthetics. You will be arguing forever.
---
Deceased Prince of Popcorn of the Skyward Sword Board
"And I will never support Chrom." -Doug314
#17judgementaeonPosted 2/14/2013 8:48:32 PM
LegendofLegaia posted...
It's a pretty decent roster, especially with Ghirahim kicked out of it.

I don't think Captain Rainbow will get in, though.

Ghirahim does seem weird, I wouldn't really like him in :p
Also, HI! I'm pretty sure I remember you on the psasbr board \(^_^)/
---
PSASBR mains: Jak, Cole, Sackboy, Radec #1 main: Emmett
Soooo borrreed >_<
#18JohnwaltPosted 2/14/2013 9:25:38 PM
6/10 for Shulk. :D
---
May the odds be ever in your favor
#19Cookie_AromaPosted 2/14/2013 9:32:53 PM
Takamaru -and- Captain Rainbow. Waaay to Japan-centric.
1/10.
#20liveman789(Topic Creator)Posted 2/14/2013 9:38:28 PM
Cookie_Aroma posted...
Takamaru -and- Captain Rainbow. Waaay to Japan-centric.
1/10.

That's two characters. The game is made and sold in Japan. I'm sorry, but I think that's a very dumb reason to vote low.
---