This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What people don't seem to get about new reps from modern franchises...

#1GreatJallopiPosted 2/15/2013 11:15:25 AM
When they pick new reps from franchises that are still running, they are only going to use the most recent characters. Don't get too comfortable with Ike. He was only there as a rep from the newest Fire Emblem game, which was the same reason Roy was there, and you saw what happened to him. They'll pick someone from Awakening in place of Ike.

This also applies to demand for Ghiranim (sp?) from the Zelda series. Do you really think they'll choose a one-time character that appeared in a game from twenty years ago, in a series still making new games? Same goes with Vaati, although he's more recent.

As far as franchises that haven't been represented, such as Sin and Punishment, they will choose the more recent characters there too. I doubt the series will even get a rep (although I'm hoping for one), but if they do, it won't be Saki. They'll choose Isa because he was the most recent protagonist. What people don't seem to understand is that many roster choices are made from a marketing standpoint. I know Sin and Punishment 2 is a couple years old now, but if they were to continue the series, they won't go back to using Saki while they might still use Isa.

That's all for today's rant. Remember people, character choices aren't about fan service, they're about marketing. Pretty much always has been that way.
---
I am the cheese. I am the best character on the show. I am better than both the salami and the bologna combined.
#2DaisyfanboyPosted 2/15/2013 11:17:44 AM
Whatever. As long as I get references to Xenoblade, Dillon's Rolling Western, and Princess Daisy.
---
So I'm still waiting for Daisy to reappear in something that's not a spinoff.
I'll probably end up dying first or something but optimism is fun.
#3GreatJallopi(Topic Creator)Posted 2/15/2013 11:22:22 AM
Daisyfanboy posted...
Whatever. As long as I get references to Xenoblade, Dillon's Rolling Western, and Princess Daisy.

Sorry to be THAT guy, but you will NEVER get Daisy outside an unlikely assist trophy or more likely Peach alt.

Xenoblade is somewhat likely, and I don't know enough about Dillon's Rolling Western (nor have I heard of it).
---
I am the cheese. I am the best character on the show. I am better than both the salami and the bologna combined.
#4GenoPosted 2/15/2013 11:24:18 AM
There's a lot of assumptions we can make at this point, but I'd rather wait 'til E3 before I start throwing more assumptions around.
---
3DS: 2363 - 5923 - 1853
#5GreatJallopi(Topic Creator)Posted 2/15/2013 11:27:43 AM
Geno posted...
There's a lot of assumptions we can make at this point, but I'd rather wait 'til E3 before I start throwing more assumptions around.

But I'm speaking from logic here. How many genuinely obscure choices, R.O.B. aside, did you see in Brawl? Smash seldom works the fan service angle through the roster. A lot of highly demanded characters got the AT treatment.

They want characters they can market, and make you buy their games. It's not that hard to see through to that.
---
#6Dustof_DryBonesPosted 2/15/2013 11:29:59 AM
GreatJallopi posted...
But I'm speaking from logic here. How many genuinely obscure choices, R.O.B. aside, did you see in Brawl? Smash seldom works the fan service angle through the roster. A lot of highly demanded characters got the AT treatment.

They want characters they can market, and make you buy their games. It's not that hard to see through to that.

Make a roster prediction. I want to see it.
---
Ahoy, matey!
#7GreatJallopi(Topic Creator)Posted 2/15/2013 11:33:26 AM
Dustof_DryBones posted...
GreatJallopi posted...

Make a roster prediction. I want to see it.

Perhaps when I have a little time I'll try at it, but bear in mind, it won't really represent my desires. In fact, it might not be desirable at all. Probably will appear as disappointing as the Brawl roster.

I'm assuming you think I'm some kind of crazy person, but the fact is, I know how companies work, and how they use a game like this one to market other games. Like, I'm not trying to be the "squash your dreams" guy, but some people's hopes are genuinely unrealistic.
---
#8GenoPosted 2/15/2013 11:36:26 AM
GreatJallopi posted...
Like, I'm not trying to be the "squash your dreams" guy, but some people's hopes are genuinely unrealistic.

That's part of the fun of the Smash Bros. boards pre-launch. If you'd have been around in the handful of years before Brawl came out, you'd have seen that people were begging for all kinds of crazy stuff. In fact, I'd honestly say that some of the unrealistic hopes we see for Smash 4 aren't NEARLY as crazy as people's unrealistic hopes were for Brawl.

And for the most part, all the people that are making the unrealistic assumptions are mostly people that weren't around in the pre-Melee/pre-Brawl days on their respective boards, speculating. Everyone else from back then is fairly subdued.
---
#9GreatJallopi(Topic Creator)Posted 2/15/2013 11:39:46 AM
Geno posted...
GreatJallopi posted...
Like, I'm not trying to be the "squash your dreams" guy, but some people's hopes are genuinely unrealistic.

That's part of the fun of the Smash Bros. boards pre-launch. If you'd have been around in the handful of years before Brawl came out, you'd have seen that people were begging for all kinds of crazy stuff. In fact, I'd honestly say that some of the unrealistic hopes we see for Smash 4 aren't NEARLY as crazy as people's unrealistic hopes were for Brawl.

And for the most part, all the people that are making the unrealistic assumptions are mostly people that weren't around in the pre-Melee/pre-Brawl days on their respective boards, speculating. Everyone else from back then is fairly subdued.

I was on GameFAQs for Brawl's pre-release. I don't think it was nearly as bad. Most people just said stuff like Olimar, King Dedede, or Diddy Kong. Now people just like to name off randoms that Nintendo doesn't use anymore for a reason.
---
#10GenoPosted 2/15/2013 11:43:07 AM
GreatJallopi posted...
I was on GameFAQs for Brawl's pre-release. I don't think it was nearly as bad. Most people just said stuff like Olimar, King Dedede, or Diddy Kong. Now people just like to name off randoms that Nintendo doesn't use anymore for a reason.

I think a lot of the reason people are going crazy for Smash 4 is because Sakurai had already admitted that the newcomers are going to be fewer and more far between. You'd be surprised how cutthroat some people have been getting without ANY information on Smash whatsoever, and mostly because of a perceived lack of newcomers.

But I was around for Melee (though more of a lurker at the time than an actual participant), and I remember they were throwing around some pretty random characters back then, too.
---