What people don't seem to get about new reps from modern franchises...

#11PlasmaCannonPosted 2/15/2013 12:43:24 PM
*shows you the door*
---
Don't forget. Always, somewhere, someone is fighting for you. As long as you remember her, you are not alone.
#12ViewtifulGenePosted 2/15/2013 12:52:04 PM(edited)
Tell me what was being marketed when Pit, R.O.B., and Ice Climbers were added.

The fact that such characters were added proves that newness is not necessary for adding a character. The possibility of non-current characters has not been ruled out.

Irrelevance is not sufficient for cutting a character either. Jigglypuff and Shiek were still in Brawl.
---
"Once again, ViewtifulGene's logic blows minds and crushes dreams." -TheGamingGolfer
"Supez teh king" -dedekong
#13GreatJallopi(Topic Creator)Posted 2/15/2013 12:51:57 PM(edited)
ViewtifulGene posted...

The fact that such characters were added proves that newness is not necessary for adding a character. The possibility of non-current characters has not been ruled out.

I admitted R.O.B. was a rare exception, as were Ice Climbers, but the latter was for nostalgia of an old dead franchise, not an ongoing one (which is what this topic was about).

And you can't be serious about Pit. Pit's new design was made for Uprising, and they put him in Brawl exclusively for the purpose of marketing that game. How did you not know this?
---
I am the cheese. I am the best character on the show. I am better than both the salami and the bologna combined.
#14ViewtifulGenePosted 2/15/2013 12:55:54 PM(edited)
GreatJallopi posted...
ViewtifulGene posted...

I admitted R.O.B. was a rare exception, as were Ice Climbers, but the latter was for nostalgia of an old dead franchise, not an ongoing one (which is what this topic was about).

And you can't be serious about Pit. Pit's new design was made for Uprising, and they put him in Brawl exclusively for the purpose of marketing that game. How did you not know this?

Brawl was released years before KIU was announced. Unless you're telling me Nintendo wanted to market a game consumers didn't think existed.

The mere presence of exceptions proves that the rule can be broken.
---
"Once again, ViewtifulGene's logic blows minds and crushes dreams." -TheGamingGolfer
"Supez teh king" -dedekong
#15MottmanPosted 2/15/2013 12:54:58 PM
GreatJallopi posted...
I was on GameFAQs for Brawl's pre-release. I don't think it was nearly as bad. Most people just said stuff like Olimar, King Dedede, or Diddy Kong. Now people just like to name off randoms that Nintendo doesn't use anymore for a reason.

Sigurd, Krystal, and Geno were pretty commonly named as well.
---
"Champions don't whine, they win!" - Vangarre from Xenoblade Chronicles
"Soon we will see Pokemon XXX." - Kooky_von_Koopa
#16GreatJallopi(Topic Creator)Posted 2/15/2013 12:58:36 PM
ViewtifulGene posted...
GreatJallopi posted...
ViewtifulGene posted...

Brawl was released years before KIU was announced. Unless ypu're telling me Nintendo wanted to market a ga,e consumers didn't think existed.

The mere presence pf exceptions proves that the rule can be broken.

You're missing my point. Kid Icarus Uprising had admittedly begun development during Brawl's (albeit just in the concept stage but still). It was made by Sora Ltd., who also made Brawl. Can you really not put two and two together?

And you're missing the point with exceptions. The exceptions were for characters from long deceased but well known franchises. This topic was about irrelevant characters from ongoing franchises. Like, you're trying to prove me wrong but your logic just plain sucks.
---
I am the cheese. I am the best character on the show. I am better than both the salami and the bologna combined.
#17GreatJallopi(Topic Creator)Posted 2/15/2013 1:01:28 PM
Mottman posted...
GreatJallopi posted...
I was on GameFAQs for Brawl's pre-release. I don't think it was nearly as bad. Most people just said stuff like Olimar, King Dedede, or Diddy Kong. Now people just like to name off randoms that Nintendo doesn't use anymore for a reason.

I still see the occasional Geno. I like him, but he won't be there for the same reason no one from the Mario & Luigi or Mario RPG sub-franchises have ever crossed into the main series.
---
#18MottmanPosted 2/15/2013 1:02:12 PM
GreatJallopi posted...
ViewtifulGene posted...
GreatJallopi posted...
ViewtifulGene posted...

Brawl was released years before KIU was announced. Unless ypu're telling me Nintendo wanted to market a ga,e consumers didn't think existed.

The mere presence pf exceptions proves that the rule can be broken.

You're missing my point. Kid Icarus Uprising had admittedly begun development during Brawl's (albeit just in the concept stage but still). It was made by Sora Ltd., who also made Brawl. Can you really not put two and two together?

And you're missing the point with exceptions. The exceptions were for characters from long deceased but well known franchises. This topic was about irrelevant characters from ongoing franchises. Like, you're trying to prove me wrong but your logic just plain sucks.

On the other hand, Brawl's ROSTER was probably decided (except for Sonic who was a late addition) back in 2005. THAT'S when Pit would have been chosen to be included in SSBB. And I doubt that Uprising was even in the concept stage that far back.

Pit was solely a retro addition at the time whose popularity at being included in Brawl gave Nintendo the confidence to finally greenlight a KI sequel.
---
#19Doug314Posted 2/15/2013 1:02:15 PM
This isn't a rule at all. Brawl had lots of characters that weren't recent. The only recent ones were Lucario and Ike. All the rest were running favorites over many years. The recent characters are ridiculously overrated. Some franchises, such as Star Fox, really had more recent choices like Krystal and yet they still chose Wolf. Ike has a part in the newer game like Wolf did, so that doesn't provide a very strong argument against Ike. And some of the characters like Pit and ROB weren't recent at all. And Sakurai says he wants to add more old characters this time. So, tbh, I doubt there will be many new characters this time.
---
Palutena, Isaac, Ridley, King K. Rool, and Anna for SSB Wii U and SSB 3DS!
SSB is the best series ever made!
#20MottmanPosted 2/15/2013 1:05:05 PM
GreatJallopi posted...
Mottman posted...
GreatJallopi posted...

I still see the occasional Geno. I like him, but he won't be there for the same reason no one from the Mario & Luigi or Mario RPG sub-franchises have ever crossed into the main series.

My point is that there were some pretty random and non-recent characters named in the pre-Brawl days as well, I don't think things have changed that much. But even if they have, it's partially because with the additions to Brawl, there are fewer "must-have" Nintendo characters to choose from now than there was then. It's not that the fans are "worse," it's that there are less potential newcomers to choose from, so some of the more popular choices might seem more iffy than before.
---