This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What people don't seem to get about new reps from modern franchises...

#31GreatJallopi(Topic Creator)Posted 2/15/2013 12:23:07 PM
Gohansephiroth posted...
GreatJallopi posted...
Let me make this clear, guys. I'm not discounting characters from old dead franchises. I'm saying old, irrelevant characters from ongoing ones, like Ghiranim.

Ghirahim is already old and irrelevant? He was in the latest installment and will still be in the latest installment until we get another brand new zelda game which wont happen for a while (Besides WWHD which isnt new).

GreatJallopi posted...
In terms of the Pit thing, you really mean to tell me that his total redesign is just something they decided to do for Brawl, when they didn't do that for similar retro characters?

They definitely created pits look just for brawl, ice climbers got a visual update and design, so pit made sense as well. And if you look at pit in brawl compared to his uprising art its changed quite a bit and he now has a style more his own now.
Whoops. I've been confusing Ghirahim for Aghanim or whatever from a Link to the Past. Someone please stop me next time.
---
I am the cheese. I am the best character on the show. I am better than both the salami and the bologna combined.
#32GenoPosted 2/15/2013 12:25:03 PM
GreatJallopi posted...
Whoops. I've been confusing Ghirahim for Aghanim or whatever from a Link to the Past. Someone please stop me next time.

I'd honestly rather see Agahnim if I had to choose betwen the two.
---
3DS: 2363 - 5923 - 1853
#33MottmanPosted 2/15/2013 12:25:31 PM
Gohansephiroth posted...
GreatJallopi posted...
Let me make this clear, guys. I'm not discounting characters from old dead franchises. I'm saying old, irrelevant characters from ongoing ones, like Ghiranim.

Ghirahim is already old and irrelevant? He was in the latest installment and will still be in the latest installment until we get another brand new zelda game which wont happen for a while (Besides WWHD which isnt new).

GreatJallopi posted...
In terms of the Pit thing, you really mean to tell me that his total redesign is just something they decided to do for Brawl, when they didn't do that for similar retro characters?

They definitely created pits look just for brawl, ice climbers got a visual update and design, so pit made sense as well. And if you look at pit in brawl compared to his uprising art its changed quite a bit and he now has a style more his own now.

To play devil's advocate a sec, it is worth noting that Pit's Brawl design looks VERY different from his trophy design in Melee. But I chalk that up to making Pit resemble the rest of Brawl's cast. Melee Trophy Pit would have looked totally out of place in Brawl.

Again, I say Pit was added to see if a KI sequel would be feasible, but not as a direct advertisement for a definite upcoming one. Once Nintendo was confident such a game was worth developing, it only made sense to use Pit's Brawl design for his new game, especially since both were being made by the same developers.
---
"Champions don't whine, they win!" - Vangarre from Xenoblade Chronicles
"Soon we will see Pokemon XXX." - Kooky_von_Koopa
#34GreatJallopi(Topic Creator)Posted 2/15/2013 12:26:04 PM
Geno posted...
GreatJallopi posted...

Haha. Admittedly I didn't play Skyward Sword, so I kind of understand somewhat now.
---
I am the cheese. I am the best character on the show. I am better than both the salami and the bologna combined.
#35LegendofLegaiaPosted 2/15/2013 12:56:37 PM(edited)
GreatJallopi posted...
When they pick new reps from franchises that are still running, they are only going to use the most recent characters.

Ganondorf deconfirmed for SSB4.

Don't get too comfortable with Ike. He was only there as a rep from the newest Fire Emblem game, which was the same reason Roy was there, and you saw what happened to him.

"What happened to him"? You mean the fact that he almost made it into Brawl with Ike?

Mind explaining why FE can't get more than two reps, while we're at it?

As far as franchises that haven't been represented, such as Sin and Punishment, they will choose the more recent characters there too. I doubt the series will even get a rep (although I'm hoping for one), but if they do, it won't be Saki. They'll choose Isa because he was the most recent protagonist.

You're not Sakurai, so stop pretending as if you know what's going to happen with the roster.

Marth was chosen to be in Melee before Roy was added as his clone and he was the first lord in the series (he also wasn't cut for Brawl). They could easily go the same route with Sin & Punishment if it gets a rep.

What people don't seem to understand is that many roster choices are made from a marketing standpoint.

Not all of the decisions are like that.

Otherwise, explain why the hell Sakurai would ever put in characters like the Ice Climbers and Mr. Game & Watch.

That's all for today's rant. Remember people, character choices aren't about fan service, they're about marketing. Pretty much always has been that way.

Except that Sakurai has made polls for the Japanese fanbase and has included newcomers due to their popularity.
---
Ninten/Giygas/Porky/Masked Man_Ridley_Black Shadow_Little Mac_Animal Crosser_Toad/Bowser Jr._Mega Man_Mewtwo_Palutena and Terra FOR SMASH! / = Either one
#36SnakeyPosted 2/15/2013 12:56:00 PM
For those bringing up Krystal, keep in mind during pre-Brawl, Wolf was just as requested as Krystal was. In Japan though, they vastly preferred Wolf.

Krystal's popularity has since Brawl's release collapsed. Considering that the only two titles that contemporary players can easily get their hands on are Star Fox 64 (Virtual Console) and Star Fox 64 3D, you basically have a generation from which Krystal was absent from the series (her last appearance in the series was 2006).

K. Rool and Dixie Kong have similar problems (their last game appearance was 2008), but unlike Krystal, their source material titles were among the most critically acclaimed and highest selling for their platforms (all three DKC games were within the Top 10 best selling games for the SNES, and DK64 was within the Top 10 best selling N64 games). You also had their source material available for purchase amongst contemporary players until very recently (when the DKC trilogy was removed from the Virtual Console).

Still, the topic creator has a point that there is a much more shallow pool of worthy newcomers this time around than even Brawl.
---
Play It Loud
#37OnionOfMysteryPosted 2/15/2013 1:06:10 PM
Snakey posted...
Still, the topic creator has a point that there is a much more shallow pool of worthy newcomers this time around than even Brawl.

If that was his main point, I don't think nearly as many people would disagree with him.

He made enemies with the way he presented his point, first of all, and he also spoke in absolutes. Not only was it disgustingly Sith-like, he's not Sakurai and people like Gene will tear your anus apart over things like that.
---
The official OnionOfMystery of Reality.
"Vaan is like a Robin in a universe composed entirely of Batmans."
#38usaamahlinkPosted 2/15/2013 1:17:35 PM
GreatJallopi posted...
Geno posted...
There's a lot of assumptions we can make at this point, but I'd rather wait 'til E3 before I start throwing more assumptions around.

But I'm speaking from logic here. How many genuinely obscure choices, R.O.B. aside, did you see in Brawl? Smash seldom works the fan service angle through the roster. A lot of highly demanded characters got the AT treatment.

They want characters they can market, and make you buy their games. It's not that hard to see through to that.

Logic? What defines logic? More importantly, what defines YOUR logic and make its logical from the perspective of MY logic?
Logically logic isnt universally logical.
Therefore your logic is definately illogical from other peoples logical perspectives. Now some people make wild assumptions and totally disregard logic.. but that doesnt change the fact that there are varying degrees and viewpoints pertaining to logic itself..
---
Currently playing: Chrono Trigger, The Last Story, Vandal Hearts, Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis, F-Zero GX.
#39SuperJoshi07Posted 2/15/2013 1:28:05 PM
GreatJallopi posted...
Geno posted...
GreatJallopi posted...

Haha. Admittedly I didn't play Skyward Sword, so I kind of understand somewhat now.

Well, if you didn't play it, you can't really claim Ghirahim wouldn't be a good choice, as you have no idea what kind of character he is.

Also, you said Nana didn't exist, which isn't true. She was the second player character in Ice Climbers. Did you think they just made her up for Smash, and no one really cared that they invented a completely new character?

For someone who claims to know a lot about 'how developers work,' you're making a lot of assumptions based on personal belief and very little research, which gives whatever points you're attempting to make far less credence.
---
One day, eventually, Wario, Daisy, Waluigi, DK, and Birdo will appear in a main series game again.
#40AwesomeAshleyPosted 2/15/2013 1:36:59 PM
Yarn Yoshi confirmed?
---
You better be afraid of the great Ashley!
Yes, I'm THE Ashley, from Warioware.