This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What people don't seem to get about new reps from modern franchises...

#41BurnumMasterPosted 2/15/2013 2:37:28 PM
They always use current characters from series, like Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard.
---
GT:BurnumMaster
#42GohansephirothPosted 2/15/2013 2:45:14 PM
BurnumMaster posted...
They always use current characters from series, like Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard.

Although It could be argued that all of Pokemon trainer was due to Pokemon fire red and leaf green since that's where his design came from, that and the popularity of those Pokemon. The same with samus and her zero mission design along with norfair.
---
"We're gonna be fighting the biggest beast of all - the times"~Big Boss
#43ThatPersonGuyPosted 2/15/2013 2:59:28 PM
GreatJallopi posted...
Dustof_DryBones posted...
GreatJallopi posted...
But I'm speaking from logic here. How many genuinely obscure choices, R.O.B. aside, did you see in Brawl? Smash seldom works the fan service angle through the roster. A lot of highly demanded characters got the AT treatment.

They want characters they can market, and make you buy their games. It's not that hard to see through to that.

Make a roster prediction. I want to see it.

Perhaps when I have a little time I'll try at it, but bear in mind, it won't really represent my desires. In fact, it might not be desirable at all. Probably will appear as disappointing as the Brawl roster.

I'm assuming you think I'm some kind of crazy person, but the fact is, I know how companies work, and how they use a game like this one to market other games. Like, I'm not trying to be the "squash your dreams" guy, but some people's hopes are genuinely unrealistic.

As dissapointing as the Brawl roster?

What???????
---
Saki, Isaac, Lip, Lyn, and Little Mac for SSB4!
Cailou. "Cuteness never looked this badass" - Chuggaconroy.
#44ThatPersonGuyPosted 2/15/2013 3:01:23 PM
GreatJallopi posted...
ViewtifulGene posted...
GreatJallopi posted...
ViewtifulGene posted...
Tell me what was being marketed when Pit, R.O.B., and Ice Climbers were added.

The fact that such characters were added proves that newness is not necessary for adding a character. The possibility of non-current characters has not been ruled out.

I admitted R.O.B. was a rare exception, as were Ice Climbers, but the latter was for nostalgia of an old dead franchise, not an ongoing one (which is what this topic was about).

And you can't be serious about Pit. Pit's new design was made for Uprising, and they put him in Brawl exclusively for the purpose of marketing that game. How did you not know this?

Brawl was released years before KIU was announced. Unless ypu're telling me Nintendo wanted to market a ga,e consumers didn't think existed.

The mere presence pf exceptions proves that the rule can be broken.

You're missing my point. Kid Icarus Uprising had admittedly begun development during Brawl's (albeit just in the concept stage but still). It was made by Sora Ltd., who also made Brawl. Can you really not put two and two together?

And you're missing the point with exceptions. The exceptions were for characters from long deceased but well known franchises. This topic was about irrelevant characters from ongoing franchises. Like, you're trying to prove me wrong but your logic just plain sucks.

Because people really would know about Ice Climbers today if it weren't for Melee. Heck. if it weren't for Brawl, Pit may have faded into obscurity by now.
---
Saki, Isaac, Lip, Lyn, and Little Mac for SSB4!
Cailou. "Cuteness never looked this badass" - Chuggaconroy.
#45MctiasPosted 2/15/2013 3:58:24 PM
TC is spot on.

Smash isn't just a regular game, it has the rare (and desirable) quality of being a product and advertisement for other products at the same time.

It's like a shop window. The owner of the window puts the stuff it wants to sell in it. In there you can see the most popular products already in the market, along them, the soon to be released stuff, to build hype.

Marth in Meele is the perfect example.

Fire Emblem was not a known franchise in the west. Instead of just bringing the games with little advertisement, hoping they will sell, they put Marth in there and let the players wonder who the hell is that guy and have them research by themselves who he is.

On top of that, you make sure he is newbie friendly, and you are good to go.
#46GreatJallopi(Topic Creator)Posted 2/15/2013 4:10:07 PM
Glad to know people haven't changed much since the times of the Brawl boards.

Seriously, so many of you tried to nitpick, and missed the point completely. Notice that the title said new reps from MODERN FRANCHISES. God, it's like I'm talking to a bunch of 15 year olds.

I've seen some piss-poor arguments against me here. Did I say they would get rid of characters who were already in like Ganondorf because they haven't been relevant in a while? No. This has nothing to do with existing characters.

The Pokemon Trainer argument missed the point too. It doesn't matter if they're not the most recent Pokemon. They'll ALWAYS be relevant to the games, and they're easily identifiable by many generations down.

God, take a marketing class or something. You people just don't get it, minus the guy above me.
---
I am the cheese. I am the best character on the show. I am better than both the salami and the bologna combined.
#47SmallerRidleyPosted 2/15/2013 6:29:26 PM
Aside from the Rocko quote in the TC's sig, I find him a disagreeable chap.

Also, God isn't interested in who you think you're talking at, and he probably doesn't need to take a marketing class.
---
Surely there's no problem with them putting me in Brawl, right?
It's ****ing satire, damnit. In NGE, Doritos are perishable goods
#48GreatJallopi(Topic Creator)Posted 2/15/2013 6:32:46 PM
SmallerRidley posted...
Aside from the Rocko quote in the TC's sig, I find him a disagreeable chap.

Also, God isn't interested in who you think you're talking at, and he probably doesn't need to take a marketing class.

Given your username, of course you disagree with me. You haven't faced the fact that they won't just make Ridley smaller and add him to the roster.
---
I am the cheese. I am the best character on the show. I am better than both the salami and the bologna combined.
#49SmallerRidleyPosted 2/15/2013 6:39:53 PM(edited)
Nah, I don't really care about that. I'm saying your reasoning for Ghirahim being likely is dependent on your assumption that the game is entirely used as a marketing ploy and isn't actually a game designed by a guy who likes to make games and quit from his former company because he didn't like endless rehashing.

Oh, and you're being a little forward with your insults. Try discourse without all the bloat.
---
Surely there's no problem with them putting me in Brawl, right?
It's ****ing satire, damnit. In NGE, Doritos are perishable goods
#50MctiasPosted 2/15/2013 6:39:34 PM
Both scenarios aren't mutually exclusive.

The game can be used as marketing ploy and be designed by some dude that likes video games. There is room for both things.