This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I see Dillon being part of the 3DS roster, but not the Wii U roster.

#31LegendofLegaiaPosted 2/24/2013 8:04:09 AM
usaamahlink posted...
liveman789 posted...
40-45 balanced, deep characters >>>>>>>>>>>>>> 50-60 clunky, unbalanced characters.

Yet 50-60 deep balanced players >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 40-45 deep balanced players.

Which isn't realistically going to happen.
---
Ninten/Giygas/Porky/Masked Man_Ridley_Black Shadow_Little Mac_Animal Crosser_Toad/Bowser Jr._Mega Man_Mewtwo_Palutena and Terra FOR SMASH! / = Either one
#32usaamahlinkPosted 2/24/2013 9:09:31 AM
LegendofLegaia posted...
usaamahlink posted...
liveman789 posted...
40-45 balanced, deep characters >>>>>>>>>>>>>> 50-60 clunky, unbalanced characters.

Yet 50-60 deep balanced players >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 40-45 deep balanced players.

I think were going to see about 50 (no less) either way once we actually see the game in its entirety.. but knowing the online community.. someone is going to find a fault and yell "I wish they just made 40 characters and perfectly balanced it!" fair enough I say, but how realisitic is it? Im sure theyll give enough attention to it, and now that Sakurai isnt doing all the balancing himself.. It should be done right across the board. The value of new characters is in giving the game a fresh distinct feel.. and while focusing too much on just 'adding' characters takes away from the game, if they add them and then focus on implementing the game right, it should all end up fine.
---
Currently playing: Chrono Trigger, The Last Story, Vandal Hearts, Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis, F-Zero GX.
#33SpunkySixPosted 2/24/2013 9:12:32 AM
LegendofLegaia posted...
usaamahlink posted...
liveman789 posted...

Neither is balancing the roster we have now super well. Something will be just off enough to piss people off no matter what, if you want to play the realism game. Or Project M, but then why get SSBU?
---
Tissue to the extreme!
Start > Spam Up B > Win
#34Chomper4Posted 2/24/2013 9:21:26 AM
SpunkySix posted...
LegendofLegaia posted...
usaamahlink posted...
liveman789 posted...

Neither is balancing the roster we have now super well. Something will be just off enough to piss people off no matter what, if you want to play the realism game. Or Project M, but then why get SSBU?

If now new characters are playable in the game, would that set you off?
#35LegendofLegaiaPosted 2/24/2013 9:25:37 AM
usaamahlink posted...
I think were going to see about 50 (no less) either way once we actually see the game in its entirety.. but knowing the online community.. someone is going to find a fault and yell "I wish they just made 40 characters and perfectly balanced it!" fair enough I say, but how realisitic is it? Im sure theyll give enough attention to it, and now that Sakurai isnt doing all the balancing himself.. It should be done right across the board. The value of new characters is in giving the game a fresh distinct feel.. and while focusing too much on just 'adding' characters takes away from the game, if they add them and then focus on implementing the game right, it should all end up fine.

Sakurai has stated that he doesn't like the balancing issues that 50+ character rosters have, despite their charms.

If he doesn't want a 50+ roster and we already have 39 characters, then we're probably not going to get that many newcomers.
---
Ninten/Giygas/Porky/Masked Man_Ridley_Black Shadow_Little Mac_Animal Crosser_Toad/Bowser Jr._Mega Man_Mewtwo_Palutena and Terra FOR SMASH! / = Either one
#36Chomper4Posted 2/24/2013 9:27:28 AM
LegendofLegaia posted...
usaamahlink posted...

Sakurai has stated that he doesn't like the balancing issues that 50+ character rosters have, despite their charms.

If he doesn't want a 50+ roster and we already have 39 characters, then we're probably not going to get that many newcomers.

I am just worrying if he means there will be no newcomers.
#37LegendofLegaiaPosted 2/24/2013 9:34:19 AM(edited)
SpunkySix posted...
Neither is balancing the roster we have now super well.

The roster will never be perfectly balanced, but it could easily be improved on, given how most of the problem would be fixed by simply undoing most of the horrible nerfs most of Melee's cast got (especially for characters who weren't that high on the tier list to begin with, like Link).

Something will be just off enough to piss people off no matter what, if you want to play the realism game.

And that would stop Sakurai from wanting to put more of an emphasis on balancing the roster... How?

He's already shown more of an interest in focusing on the gameplay more than adding new characters. It's not realistic to expect a 50-60 roster at this point.
---
#38GenoPosted 2/24/2013 9:39:34 AM(edited)
Chomper4 posted...

There will be newcomers, don't concern yourself over it too much. Sakurai might not like huge rosters, but even he's not dumb enough to not realize that a fighting game, barring games like Street Fighter or Tekken which are practically all about the veterans, one of the huge draws is newcomers.

I suspect we'll probably be looking at around fifty characters total, anyway. I mean, think about it. Twelve of the characters have been in the game since its inception, if they're not balanced and solidified by this point I'm not sure what to tell 'em. Most of the people we got from Melee were balanced pretty well, and Brawl only has two characters that were glaringly overpowered, and I'm certain that'll be handled in Smash 4.

The only real general failure to balance a character lies mostly in Link, who's been crappy since Smash 64, the poor guy.
---
3DS: 2363 - 5923 - 1853
#39Chomper4Posted 2/24/2013 9:41:21 AM
Geno posted...
Chomper4 posted...

There will be newcomers, don't concern yourself over it too much. Sakurai might not like huge rosters, but even he's not dumb enough to not realize that a fighting game, barring games like Street Fighter or Tekken which are practically all about the veterans, one of the huge draws is newcomers.

I suspect we'll probably be looking at around fifty characters total, anyway. I mean, think about it. Twelve of the characters have been in the game since its inception, if they're not balanced and solidified by this point I'm not sure what to tell 'em. Most of the people we got from Melee were balanced pretty well, and Brawl only has two characters that were glaringly overpowered, and I'm certain that'll be handled in Smash 4.

The only real general failure to balance a character lies mostly in Link, who's been crappy since Smash 64, the poor guy.

Still, I am concerned that no new playables is what Sakurai is striving for.
#40GenoPosted 2/24/2013 9:56:34 AM
Chomper4 posted...
Still, I am concerned that no new playables is what Sakurai is striving for.

There's not a chance in hell that Sakurai won't add any newcomers. We'll be looking at a minimum of five or six newcomers, guaranteed. And then we can always expect those last minute rush job characters tacked on at the end, too, like Toon Link, Jigglypuff and Wolf. :P
---
3DS: 2363 - 5923 - 1853