Your reaction: Sakurai decides to make this game ENTIRELY competitive-based.

#21MetalKirbyPlushPosted 2/21/2013 7:47:51 PM
Considering the Smash community I live near made Melee a huge part of their life and made a lot of good friends, I'd hardly say competitive gaming makes people become jerks.
---
Samus ruined Metroid forever. She keeps killing them. ~CTsChoco
#22COlimar788Posted 2/21/2013 9:21:51 PM
Whoops look at that you're misusing the word "competitive"

Smash Bros., at its heart, is competitive based. It is a competitive game, where you fight each other in a competition. The problem with Brawl was that it undermined the competitive core with a bunch of random elements for no reason.

Developing Smash with competition in the forefront is the absolute best way to do so because, well, it's a competitive game.
---
There will never be a game as horribly disappointing as Other M
3DS Friend Code: 2234-7169-9510
#23EarthLord_CJPosted 2/21/2013 9:26:28 PM
Someguy_13 posted...
LegendofLegaia posted...
Both competitive players and non-competitive players loved Melee, so I don't see how appealing to the competitive crowd would cause everyone else to hate SSB4.

This.

Even if the game is entirely competitive based, it's still Smash Bros.
It would still play like Smash Bros, and still have all the draws that all the other Smash Bros games have like the Nintendo characters all in one cross over.

It would still sell fine even if the defaults were set to the competitive norm.

It would also give the developers incentive to focus on balance for the roster even if it's a much bigger roster than Brawl.

Items and time/coin mode would still be in, but not the default, and all the crazy stages would still be there. There would just be more neutral stages and maybe even more not-so-crazy stages for more interesting counterpicks.

There would still be single player modes, but they would be secondary things as they always have been.

It would also probably have faster, more intense gameplay, which in my opinion is more fun.

This would be awesome.

I pretty much agree with all of this.

Also, that C. Falcon HRC video was godlike. @__@
---
http://i.imgur.com/qgqVy.jpg
"Don't wanna know...where the sinners go..."
#24ChortlezPosted 2/21/2013 11:20:20 PM
You mean make a SSFIII:Third Strike equivalent SSB for the series? Where it's hailed as one of the best fighter games of all times but didn't do so well in terms of sales because it was too technical and difficult for casuals to quickly get into? I don't know how I'd feel about that. On one hand, I wouldn't mind it personally because I'll definitely put in the time to get good at it, but on the other hand, the game's not worth it if it's going to end the franchise right then and there because I want to see SSB keep going 10, 20 years from now to show off how far Nintendo has come and all the cool characters they've created.
#25The_Undying_84Posted 2/22/2013 12:24:35 AM
SpunkySix posted...
How is that even possible? Even the most casual player in the world could have fun button mashing with friends in even the world's most super technical fighter ever. They wouldn't even notice how technical it was.

Indeed. Giving the game better competitive potential doesn't hurt casual players unless they're actually playing competitive players. Most people I know are definitely casual players and they have no preference between Brawl and Melee.

Also the majority of people would buy it anyways without knowing or caring that it's supposed to be competitive, they'd just see the SSB name and get it. So it would sell just fine.
---
PSN: TheUndying84
#26MegaWentEvilPosted 2/22/2013 12:29:51 AM
You mean make a SSFIII:Third Strike equivalent SSB for the series? Where it's hailed as one of the best fighter games of all times but didn't do so well in terms of sales because it was too technical and difficult for casuals to quickly get into? I don't know how I'd feel about that. On one hand, I wouldn't mind it personally because I'll definitely put in the time to get good at it, but on the other hand, the game's not worth it if it's going to end the franchise right then and there because I want to see SSB keep going 10, 20 years from now to show off how far Nintendo has come and all the cool characters they've created.

What? SF3: Third Strike didn't end the Street Fighter franchise, we still have Street Fighter 4 AND its obligatory Super version.

Why would it be different for Smash?
---
Aku wa yurusan. - Kim Kaphwan
#27kreegan64Posted 2/22/2013 2:45:52 AM
^Read OP
---
Jesus Christ saves any who call and accept him. Today is better than tomorrow to get saved. Never accept the mark of the beast.
#28Blazekicker27Posted 2/22/2013 6:55:31 AM
I don't see how this would stop casuals from buying the game, since unless they knew right away that it was competitively based, they'd probably still get it simply because it has Smash in the title. Besides, it's not like they're forced to play against competitive players. And don't casuals play to win too? Technically that would make them competitive to an extent.

In any case, hopefully this new focus will make this the best Smash, although I'm severely disappointed that the series is cancelled.
---
Official Houndoom of the Pokemon XY boards.
http://i.imgur.com/rNgxY.png