POLL: Rate My Character Roster (Version 10: The Final Version)

#1liveman789Posted 2/23/2013 6:38:20 AM
Rate out of 10 - Results (45 votes)
2.22% (1 votes)
2.22% (1 votes)
4.44% (2 votes)
17.78% (8 votes)
15.56% (7 votes)
26.67% (12 votes)
6.67% (3 votes)
11.11% (5 votes)
2.22% (1 votes)
11.11% (5 votes)
This poll is now closed.
ROSTER PIC
http://oi46.tinypic.com/2rz99xx.jpg

NOTE - Yes, you read that correctly. This will be my final roster, so you can now celebrate that I'll no longer be posting one of these every 3 days while spamming your precious boards. When the game is revealed, I may start trying again.

For this roster, I went in with the following idea: The only playable characters allowed are those that have starring in their own series as the main protagonist, or have been the main villain of the series they are in. Pokemon is the exception, for obvious reasons, and Zelda gets a pass because she's the title character of her series.

The roster has a total of 45 character (50 with transformations, Dixie being the new one), and I think that's as large as the roster is going to get. There are 14(15) newcomers, and 4 cuts from Brawl.

NEWCOMERS

1) BOWSER JR.

The Mario series dominates Nintendo consoles, so I don't think it would be unfair if they got another rep. They did have 5 in Melee, after all. But, that 5th rep was just an undeserving clone of Mario that would have been better as an alternate costume. So then, who is deserving? In my opinion, only two characters: Bowser Jr. and Toad. Anyone else (Waluigi, Daisy, Birdo, Rosalina) is extremely minor to the series and can at best be an assist trophy.

So why do I go with Bowser Jr. in the end? (1) He's a villain, which the series could certainly use a couple more of. (2) He's an actual character, and not a "race" of a character like Toad. Yoshi gets a pass because he stars in his own series, unlike Toad, and Pokemon speak for themselves. (3) He has a great moveset potential. While Bowser's moveset revolves around his physical abilities, Bowser Jr.'s could revolve around the gadgets he uses in the games he's appeared in. Forget that Shadow Mario business, that's just asking for a half clone. (4) Toad is part of Peach's moveset. Yes, he can easily be replaced with another move, but that still is slightly against his chances.

2) KING K. ROOL

One of the most demanded characters. He's been the main antagonist of many Donkey Kong games in the past, and has recently appeared in the Mario Baseball game that was developed by Namco. That doesn't hurt his chances.

3) GENESECT

At this point, I think the only potential newcomer is Genesect, if not a 6th Generation Pokemon. Zoroark has gone stale at this point, and Mewtwo had his chance to shine over ten years ago. Genesect, being a sort of robotic bug/steel-type, could have a very interesting moveset that no past Pokemon could have been able to display.

4) TINGLE

Boy do I hate this guy. He is annoying, weird, and creepy. But, he does have his own spinoff series. If he were to get in with an original moveset, I would much prefer him over a clone like Toon Link. He also has potential for an interesting, joke-character moveset. I'd also prefer him over Impa, who is just as relevant, but I think she'd be too Sheik-ish.

5) GHIRAHIM

Instead of implementing the latest version of Young Link, who will always just end up a glorified clone, with every Smash Bros, why not include the latest non-Ganon villain? Ghirahim, despite what those against him say, would be a great addition. His popularity is unlike any of the past non-Ganon villains, and he also has great moveset potential. Next Smash Bros, he can be cut for the next non-Ganon villain.

6) LITTLE MAC

He was recently revived on the Wii, and he is also one of the bigger Nintendo icons of the past. He definitely deserves to be in.

CONTINUED...
---
My latest Smash Bros 4 roster: http://oi47.tinypic.com/281sz81.jpg
#2liveman789(Topic Creator)Posted 2/23/2013 6:39:28 AM
7) CHROM

Most recent star of the Fire Emblem series, and the latest might be the most successful installment of the entire series. He both deserves to be in, and has very good chances.

8) HADES

I know I'm going to get a lot from you Palutena lovers, but I'm just trying this out for the sake of my implemented idea when making the roster. Kid Icarus is most likely getting a second rep, as Sakurai worked on the latest installment. Don't you think theres a possibility he might chose to include a character that debuted in his own own game? He'd sure be a better choice than Magnus. He's also the main villain of the game, so it's not like he isn't deserving. It's not like he's going anywhere, either, so he's always open to be in future installments of Kid Icarus.

9) RIDLEY

The fact that they considered to put in Zero Suit Samus before Ridley is something to be noted. It's not like she was a clone either, she had a totally original moveset. They could have easily put all of that focus into making RIdley and an original moveset for him. But instead, they go with Zero Suit Samus as a newcomer. When the next considered newcomer is just an alternate version of the same character, it doesn't look to good for Ridley.

But, now they got other highly requested characters out of the way, like Meta Knight, King Dedede, Wario, and Diddy Kong. Maybe now that the list of potential AAA newcomers has shrunk greatly since Brawl, Ridley's chances have possibly increased.

10) SHULK

The protagonist of the recent and critically acclaimed Xenoblade series. There is also a sequel coming for WiiU (most likely). If that game gets a different protagonist, Shulk can still be relevant as the "Marth" of his series.

11) TAKAMARU

A highly requested retro character. His series also has a mini game in Nintendo Land, so that does not hurt his chances.

12) DILLON

I thought the roster could use a bit a a curveball. Ever since Brawl, Nintendo has gotten more into downloadable games. With a successful game and a sequel in the way, I think Dillon has fairly decent chances and would be a great addition.

13) MII

I don't know why people think Miis have no shot at getting in, besides the fact that they weren't in Brawl. I don't think the idea of including them in non-Mii games was brought up until Mario Kart Wii, so I think this time around they have a good shot of inclusion. They're the stars of multiple Nintendo games ever since the Wii existed, and have a fantastic moveset potential.

14) PAC-MAN

We'll probably get at least one third party rep this time around, and if we do, it'll almost definitely be Pac-man. He's the mascot of co-developer Namco Bandai, and would fit wonderfully in the Smash Bros Universe.

CUT FROM BRAWL

1) TOON LINK - Clones are wastes of space, no matter how glorified they are. What makes it worse is when they are just an incarnation of another character. Toon Link is both of these.

2) FALCO - He's another glorified clone, and the least important to the Starfox series of the 3 Starfox reps in Brawl. Wolf is also a much more contrastable clone of Fox. Plus, Wolf s one of the main villains of the series.

3) LUCAS - Yet another unnecessary, glorified clone. I honestly wouldn't care if Ness got cut instead but, based on a recent pole I did, most of you seem to rather Lucas get cut if one of them had to. I see them as equally relevant, so I don't care.

4) IKE - He was the star of the Fire Emblem series for a VERY short time. The ones he starred in were also not as successful as the other installments.
---
#3liveman789(Topic Creator)Posted 2/23/2013 6:39:50 AM
Also, though this doesn't have much to do with the roster, these would be the ideal implemented moves:

Aerial grabs and throws (for all four directions)
Special smash attacks (up, side, and down smashes)
Special dash attack
Special throw (press B when grabbing opponent)
Aerial dashing
Secondary Final Smash
"Special Action" (credit to Davidk92, really liked this idea)
- http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-wii-u/65155064

And that's it. Sorry for the long read.
---
#4Kooky_von_KoopaPosted 2/23/2013 6:40:42 AM
*sighs* Why you left Mewtwo out again when he is basically the most likely Pokemon newcomer
#5LegendofLegaiaPosted 2/23/2013 6:49:28 AM
So... Is this based off of likeliness or how much we like the roster?
---
Ninten/Giygas/Porky/Masked Man_Ridley_Black Shadow_Little Mac_Animal Crosser_Toad/Bowser Jr._Mega Man_Mewtwo_Palutena and Terra FOR SMASH! / = Either one
#6Traptin3daysPosted 2/23/2013 6:50:13 AM
Kooky_von_Koopa posted...
*sighs* Why you left Mewtwo out again when he is basically the most likely Pokemon newcomer

liveman789 posted...
Mewtwo had his chance to shine over ten years ago.

But I do not agree with him.
---
Now let's sacrifice some chickens! :D
#7Kooky_von_KoopaPosted 2/23/2013 6:52:04 AM
Traptin3days posted...

liveman789 posted...

Neither do I, by that logic nost of the characters in his list should be removed \(>_>)/
#8liveman789(Topic Creator)Posted 2/23/2013 7:04:54 AM
LegendofLegaia posted...
So... Is this based off of likeliness or how much we like the roster?

When I make my rosters, it's always a sort of combination of both. I suppose an "approval rating" would be the best way to go about looking at it.
---
My latest Smash Bros 4 roster: http://oi46.tinypic.com/2rz99xx.jpg
#9liveman789(Topic Creator)Posted 2/23/2013 7:06:42 AM
Traptin3days posted...

liveman789 posted...

Neither do I, by that logic nost of the characters in his list should be removed \(>_>)/

They weren't cut, though. I've said it many times before, and I remember you specifically agreeing despite your love for Mewtwo, but we have no way of knowing the likelihood of a cut character returning, as we've never been in such situation.
---
My latest Smash Bros 4 roster: http://oi46.tinypic.com/2rz99xx.jpg
#10LegendofLegaiaPosted 2/23/2013 8:05:12 AM(edited)
In that case:

Bowser Jr. - I think he'd be a pretty good choice and that he's one of the more likely Mario characters out of the ones that are requested. I mean, he's been making plenty of appearances lately (his most notable one being in Paper Mario Sticker Star, due to how unexpected it was) and he's a significant recurring villain in the main series.

A moveset from him could be pretty good, as long as he isn't a Bowser clone.

King K. Rool - Meh, I don't care much for him.

As for as likelihood goes, I find it a bit baffling how King K. Rool gets a pass on being irrelevant due to his high demand (his last appearance in a main series DKC game was over a decade ago and he wasn't even a Team Captain in Mario Super Sluggers, which put him on the same level as filler characters like all of the baby Mario characters in existence), yet Mewtwo's extremely high demand doesn't affect his chances in the slightest.

Genesect - I'm not certain that he'd be the newcomer, but I'm pretty sure that there will be a newcomer for Pokemon either way. I also think that there will be two additions for the series, as it's gotten a lot of newcomers in each Smash Bros. game (2 in SSB64, 4 in SSBM, and 6 in SSBB, which was almost going to be 7 or 8 newcomers, depending on whether or not Plusle & Minon were supposed to be playable). In this case, I'd expect Mewtwo to return and a Pokemon newcomer to show up.

Tingle - He has a lot of hate in the west, but I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai decided to add him anyway. I mean, he stars in his own games.

Ghirahim - I think he'd be a really abysmal choice for this game. Like Majora and Zant, he'll most likely end up being a one-shot, making him an extremely poor rep for the series. Yes, he's popular, but so was Midna and look at how far that got her (they chose to make Tingle an AT over her).

Sheik and Ganondorf are not proof that one-shots can be chosen. Sheik is just Zelda in different clothes, making her about as much of a one-shot as Toon Link wearing his blue pajamas. As for Ganondorf, he's the same person as Ganon (who's been the main villain of the series since the first game), just in human form.

Also, the idea of him replacing Toon Link is incredibly unlikely, given the reasons I'll give when I go over him later.

Little Mac and Chrom - No complaints here.

Hades - I don't think he's more likely than Palutena, but he's still possible.

Ridley - Your ZSS comment is incorrect. According to Sakurai, it probably would have taken their best efforts in order for them to possibly make Ridley a playable character in Brawl and I doubt that ZSS was anywhere near as difficult to include as Ridley.

Anyway, it's possible that Sakurai could have changed his mind about Ridley, but we probably won't know that until we start getting some info on the game.

Shulk - Or he could be the Ness of the series, in which case the more recent protagonist is favored.

But ignoring that, I agree that he'll probably be in this game.

Takamaru - I think we'll also probably see him. Sakurai isn't completely against putting in Japan only characters (as we've seen with Marth, Roy, and Lucas), so I don't think that will prevent his inclusion.

Dillon - I'm neutral on him.

Mii - I wouldn't be surprised to see them, but the fact that they didn't appear in Brawl might be an indication that Sakurai doesn't want them in Smash.

Pac-Man - No disagreements here.
---
Ninten/Giygas/Porky/Masked Man_Ridley_Black Shadow_Little Mac_Animal Crosser_Toad/Bowser Jr._Mega Man_Mewtwo_Palutena and Terra FOR SMASH! / = Either one