If Kirby were to get a fourth rep

#11taoxadasaPosted 2/24/2013 10:44:44 PM
Michaeloll posted...
CharizardFire posted...
ITT: we have an additional three supporters, including me, who believe Ridley is better suited as a boss character rather than playable.

No, I think Ridley is better off as a playable character. Stop putting words in my mouth.

so then how is dyna not better off as playable? if you think she is better as a boss, then you must think ridley is better as a boss. otherwise your logic doesn't make much sense. especially since.. ridely has been SHOWN as a boss in the actual game

Because Ridley is the most recurring and important Metroid character besides Samus.

Dyna Blade is just a recurring character that isn't as important as most other Kirby villians.
---
Jumping Flash!'s Robbit needs to be in Playstation All-Stars as DLC! Sign the petition for him here:
http://www.petitionbuzz.com/petitions/robbitfirstallstar
#12BurnumMasterPosted 2/24/2013 10:53:18 PM
taoxadasa posted...
Michaeloll posted...
CharizardFire posted...
ITT: we have an additional three supporters, including me, who believe Ridley is better suited as a boss character rather than playable.

No, I think Ridley is better off as a playable character. Stop putting words in my mouth.

so then how is dyna not better off as playable? if you think she is better as a boss, then you must think ridley is better as a boss. otherwise your logic doesn't make much sense. especially since.. ridely has been SHOWN as a boss in the actual game

Because Ridley is the most recurring and important Metroid character besides Samus.

Dyna Blade is just a recurring character that isn't as important as most other Kirby villians.

Character wise though, they are practically the same except one has feathers. So if Ridley meets the criteria, so does Dyna Blade
---
GT:BurnumMaster
#13Michaeloll(Topic Creator)Posted 2/24/2013 10:57:47 PM
BurnumMaster posted...
taoxadasa posted...
Michaeloll posted...
CharizardFire posted...

Character wise though, they are practically the same except one has feathers. So if Ridley meets the criteria, so does Dyna Blade
#14COlimar788Posted 2/24/2013 10:57:49 PM
Ridley being directly comparable to Dyna Blade?

Holy non sequitur Batman!
---
There will never be a game as horribly disappointing as Other M
3DS Friend Code: 2234-7169-9510
#15SmallerRidleyPosted 2/24/2013 10:57:50 PM
BurnumMaster posted...
taoxadasa posted...
Michaeloll posted...
CharizardFire posted...

How are they the same character-wise? One is a minor boss with no backstory that appears in about 1/4 of Kirby's games, while the other is the entire backsyory and appears in all but 1/4 of Metroid games.
---
Surely there's no problem with them putting me in Brawl, right?
It's ****ing satire, damnit. In NGE, Doritos are perishable goods
#16Michaeloll(Topic Creator)Posted 2/24/2013 11:00:43 PM
Ridley is better as a boss. there's no other major villains to replace a boss for metroid according to a dyna hater
#17BurnumMasterPosted 2/24/2013 11:01:11 PM
Wow.... Character as in....the character in the game of Smash. Does their backstory have anything to do with anything in Smash? No. They are both big flying boss creatures that would not make good fighters in this game.
---
#18COlimar788Posted 2/24/2013 11:08:04 PM
BurnumMaster posted...
Wow.... Character as in....the character in the game of Smash. Does their backstory have anything to do with anything in Smash? No. They are both big flying boss creatures that would not make good fighters in this game.

Please elaborate. What about Ridley would make him unfit as a SSB playable character?

Bosses have been playable, such as Ganondorf. Flying characters have been playable, such as Charizard. Big characters have been playable, such as Bowser. Characters that have previously been in NPC roles in Smash Bros. have become playable, such as Dedede.

The big argument, which seems to be size, is not a factor as Smash has already seen many, many characters resized to fit better, even when that would cause oddities within a series (every Pokemon, Distant Planet's Bulborb when compared to Olimar, etc). Even Ridley himself was resized in Melee to be just a bit larger than Samus.
---
#19BurnumMasterPosted 2/24/2013 11:22:26 PM(edited)
COlimar788 posted...
BurnumMaster posted...

Please elaborate. What about Ridley would make him unfit as a SSB playable character?

Bosses have been playable, such as Ganondorf. Flying characters have been playable, such as Charizard. Big characters have been playable, such as Bowser. Characters that have previously been in NPC roles in Smash Bros. have become playable, such as Dedede.

The big argument, which seems to be size, is not a factor as Smash has already seen many, many characters resized to fit better, even when that would cause oddities within a series (every Pokemon, Distant Planet's Bulborb when compared to Olimar, etc). Even Ridley himself was resized in Melee to be just a bit larger than Samus.

I wouldn't say the main reason is his size, but more of his length and body structure. This is assuming they go with the prime design like they did in Brawl. It is a very good design. On the ground with his tail he is incredibly long and his body type is like a dinosaur, his arms cant even reach past his head. So all he could have is nothing but bite, tail, and wing attacks. That is unless they change his body, but I like the character Ridley and personally don't want to see him the size of a charizard standing up all awkward.

In summary: Could Ridley be a playable character? Yes, technically anything could (baby fuzzy Ridley from Other M). Do I think it is worth the effort redesigning him and bending over backwards just to make it work? No he is fine as a boss.
---
#20COlimar788Posted 2/24/2013 11:31:38 PM
BurnumMaster posted...
I wouldn't say the main reason is his size, but more of his length and body structure. This is assuming they go with the prime design like they did in Brawl. It is a very good design. On the ground with his tail he is incredibly long and his body type is like a dinosaur, his arms cant even reach past his head. So all he could have is nothing but bite, tail, and wing attacks. That is unless they change his body, but I like the character Ridley and personally don't want to see him the size of a charizard standing up all awkward.

In summary: Could Ridley be a playable character? Yes, technically anything could (baby fuzzy Ridley from Other M). Do I think it is worth the effort redesigning him and bending over backwards just to make it work? No he is fine as a boss.

I don't think they'd need to redesign him. Ridley has always been the type of character to hunch over and compact himself naturally - he could be big and long while still retaining his same design and still be effectively the same size as Bowser. Ridley's arms wouldn't be too much of an issue, either, since he wouldn't need to use them for anything but items and grabs, as he always attacks with his mouth or tail anyway, and he could easily reposition himself for that, much like he does when he grabs Samus' in the series. Heck, if they wanted they could pull his design from Zero Mission, where he has noticeably longer arms.

Ridley would work fine as a boss, as Brawl itself demonstrates, but that would be quite a bummer to many people who have been vouching for him as a character. There's also the issue of him literally being the only other reasonable Metroid rep, as every other possible character is either a one-shot (Adam, Sylux, etc) is no longer relevant for some other reason (Dark Samus), or is just generic (Space Pirate). Metroid more than deserves its second rep, and Ridley's the only one that makes sense.
---