If Kirby were to get a fourth rep

#21taoxadasaPosted 2/24/2013 11:37:28 PM
Michaeloll posted...
Ridley is better as a boss. there's no other major villains to replace a boss for metroid according to a dyna hater

Mother Brain, Kraid.

Also, Dyna Blade is my favorite Kirby enemy but I wouldn't have her playable over Waddle Dee, Prince Fluff, Nightmare, Daroach, Marx, or Adeleine.
---
Jumping Flash!'s Robbit needs to be in Playstation All-Stars as DLC! Sign the petition for him here:
http://www.petitionbuzz.com/petitions/robbitfirstallstar
#22BurnumMasterPosted 2/24/2013 11:43:09 PM
COlimar788 posted...
BurnumMaster posted...
I wouldn't say the main reason is his size, but more of his length and body structure. This is assuming they go with the prime design like they did in Brawl. It is a very good design. On the ground with his tail he is incredibly long and his body type is like a dinosaur, his arms cant even reach past his head. So all he could have is nothing but bite, tail, and wing attacks. That is unless they change his body, but I like the character Ridley and personally don't want to see him the size of a charizard standing up all awkward.

In summary: Could Ridley be a playable character? Yes, technically anything could (baby fuzzy Ridley from Other M). Do I think it is worth the effort redesigning him and bending over backwards just to make it work? No he is fine as a boss.

I don't think they'd need to redesign him. Ridley has always been the type of character to hunch over and compact himself naturally - he could be big and long while still retaining his same design and still be effectively the same size as Bowser. Ridley's arms wouldn't be too much of an issue, either, since he wouldn't need to use them for anything but items and grabs, as he always attacks with his mouth or tail anyway, and he could easily reposition himself for that, much like he does when he grabs Samus' in the series. Heck, if they wanted they could pull his design from Zero Mission, where he has noticeably longer arms.

Ridley would work fine as a boss, as Brawl itself demonstrates, but that would be quite a bummer to many people who have been vouching for him as a character. There's also the issue of him literally being the only other reasonable Metroid rep, as every other possible character is either a one-shot (Adam, Sylux, etc) is no longer relevant for some other reason (Dark Samus), or is just generic (Space Pirate). Metroid more than deserves its second rep, and Ridley's the only one that makes sense.

I agree that there aren't many choices for Metroid unless it was Dark Samus (which I think is still relevant since they will use prime stages and prime designs most likely in some Metroid aspects.) or a Chozo which is too generic for a game about all stars. Ridley would most likely be his prime design because it was used in Brawl, and it is the safest since it is an already established 3d design.

It does suck that Metroid deserves more characters for Smash, but if you are just adding things to add them I dont think thats a good idea.
---
GT:BurnumMaster
#23Hejiru206Posted 2/25/2013 6:44:05 AM
Michaeloll posted...
Dyna Blade
+ has more history

what
---
Yeah, that's a problem games had back then. You actually had to get good at them. -Mctias
#24Koro-SenseiPosted 2/25/2013 6:52:29 AM
At least Ridley has arms unlike a bird that can barely hold anything in it's mechanical mouth, like items.
#25EarthLord_CJPosted 2/25/2013 7:07:16 AM
BurnumMaster posted...
It does suck that Metroid deserves more characters for Smash, but if you are just adding things to add them I dont think thats a good idea.

"Adding things in to add them" has already manifested in the form of Zero Suit Samus, though. There was obviously a great deal of creativity behind her unique moveset, so it should'be be unfeasable to do the same for Ridley (who, canonically speaking, does have a number of moves he has mostly been shown to utilise), even if it requires some degree of compromise. I'd honestly be greatly surprised if they did go to great lengths to keep him in line with the games and still do a good job of balancing.
---
http://i.imgur.com/qgqVy.jpg
"Don't wanna know...where the sinners go..."
#26MeanMotorScootePosted 2/25/2013 8:53:58 AM
Dynablade I'd prefer to ass as a boss (Hell, I'd love to see Dynablade as a boss) and Bandana Waddle Dee in all honesty is kind of pushing it for me... I know Bandana Dee (and Waddle Dee in general) are seen as important characters to the Kirby franchise and I'm not opposed to seeing him on the roster... he just doesn't really do anything for me.

Closest I'd like to see as far as a "fourth Kirby rep" would be Starfy. I know he's from a different franchise, but he's considered Kirby's "rival" in Japan and fits the style of characters. Again, I know he'd represent his own franchise, but he's the closest thing to a 4th Kirby rep i'd like to see in smash bros.
#27MrSpacelySlatePosted 2/25/2013 9:34:40 AM
Bandanna.

Everyone loves Waddle Dees. He's a Waddle Dee character standing out of his species' shadow.
#28ViewtifulGenePosted 2/25/2013 10:07:26 AM(edited)
BurnumMaster posted...
COlimar788 posted...
BurnumMaster posted...
Wow.... Character as in....the character in the game of Smash. Does their backstory have anything to do with anything in Smash? No. They are both big flying boss creatures that would not make good fighters in this game.

Please elaborate. What about Ridley would make him unfit as a SSB playable character?

Bosses have been playable, such as Ganondorf. Flying characters have been playable, such as Charizard. Big characters have been playable, such as Bowser. Characters that have previously been in NPC roles in Smash Bros. have become playable, such as Dedede.

The big argument, which seems to be size, is not a factor as Smash has already seen many, many characters resized to fit better, even when that would cause oddities within a series (every Pokemon, Distant Planet's Bulborb when compared to Olimar, etc). Even Ridley himself was resized in Melee to be just a bit larger than Samus.

I wouldn't say the main reason is his size, but more of his length and body structure. This is assuming they go with the prime design like they did in Brawl. It is a very good design. On the ground with his tail he is incredibly long and his body type is like a dinosaur, his arms cant even reach past his head. So all he could have is nothing but bite, tail, and wing attacks. That is unless they change his body, but I like the character Ridley and personally don't want to see him the size of a charizard standing up all awkward.

In summary: Could Ridley be a playable character? Yes, technically anything could (baby fuzzy Ridley from Other M). Do I think it is worth the effort redesigning him and bending over backwards just to make it work? No he is fine as a boss.

They don't have to bend over backwards to make his wings and tail work. It's called using his proportions from Super Metroid or Zero Mission.
---
"Once again, ViewtifulGene's logic blows minds and crushes dreams." -TheGamingGolfer
"Supez teh king" -dedekong
#29Elec Man EXEPosted 2/25/2013 12:32:00 PM
I'd say Kirby is repped fine as-is, its got the 3 main recurring characters just as the Zelda series has the mains covered.

But if it has to get one Bandana Dee is the obvious choice. He's playable in RtDL, and Waddle Dee's in general have been a Kirby mainstay since the beginning. The species is generic but Bandana Dee is a somewhat defined member of the species (in the same way Yoshi is). Spear offers a unique enough moveset as well. I wouldn't say he deserves to be in on his own merits, but if there has to be a 4th Kirby rep, then it should be him.

Not sure how you can claim Dyna Blade has more history when she appeared in all of 1 game (or 2 counting remakes). Thats only a small blip in Kirby history. Unless you're talking history of the character herself as in she's actually got a "backstory" of sorts. Also, Dyna Blade is huge and doesn't have any arms, which would make for an extremely difficult character to implement.

Dyna Blade would make for an awesome Assist Trophy though. I'd like to see some larger AT's in this game, Pokeballs get huge pokemon so having a large AT character should be no problem. She could either hover in the air or land when summoned, launch a few projectiles at random opponents for a bit, then fly off-screen and swoop in from the background to end.

Nice try with your attempts to bait Dyna Blade = boss responses and turn them around by equating Dyna Blade to Ridley. Dyna Blade has always been shown huge, Ridley has varied in size to some degree. DB is a pretty minor boss character, Ridley is the most recurring villain in Metroid. Their proportions are completely different besides "large character with wings", with Dyna Blade being completely bird-shaped with no arms, a vertical stance, and legs that are unsuited for attacking, all of which would make her very difficult to turn into a playable character. Ridley has an odd but at least semi-humanoid structure with arms and a more hunched posture, which while still difficult to work with, at least lends itself somewhat to a playable character.
---
~ Master of Electricity ~
Electro: 0518-6613-7620 - Pokemon White
#30The_KoreyPosted 2/25/2013 12:37:29 PM
As usual, your logic has it's flaws, but still... well played.
---
The Korey: Belligerent thundering since 1988.
http://i50.tinypic.com/10y1b3t.jpg