DLC characters some time after release: Would you want them?

#1MeanMotorScootePosted 2/25/2013 4:53:32 AM
Would you be get new characters via DLC? - Results (72 votes)
Yes, I'd be willing to pay for future DLC
68.06% (49 votes)
Yes, but only as long as it's free DLC
22.22% (16 votes)
No, it would feel like I purchased an incomplete game
9.72% (7 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Let's face it, not all our most wanted characters will get into smash bros and some might get removed/scrapped for time purposes. However, with DLC, it brings possibilities for more characters to join the roster later and could also keep the game more alive for the community.

But some people could argue that such DLC would just make the game feel like an unfinished product and they're just buying things that should be on disc to begin with.
#2victinivcreate1Posted 2/25/2013 5:13:32 AM
oh hell to the YES

The first month or 2 should be free DLC

then ill pay for stuff.
---
Genesect, Mewtwo, Ridley, Shulk, Palutena, Megaman, Isaac, Saki, Toad, King K. Rool, Ghirahim, Roy, Little Mac, Megaman, and DLC for SSB4
#3ExodecaiPosted 2/25/2013 5:34:37 AM
Definitely should have DLC in this game, as long as it isn't "content already on the disc you pay for"

The only way I'd pay for that if it's a super special case (like Freddy Krueger in Mortal Kombat)
---
Proud Supporter of Waluigi for Smash 4. Waluigi Time!
#4AvatarOfBaganPosted 2/25/2013 5:44:25 AM
It must fit like this:

1: They put in as much work as they can into the game before shipping it, nothing half assed.

2: NO on-disk DLC.

3: NO day 1 DLC UNLESS it's 100% free.

4: Free OPTIONAL compatability downloads so that if, _____ character becomes DLC, people who did not buy said character can still fight online against people who DO own said character.

These are the main things to watch out for on DLC.

If it's on Disk DLC, you are obviously paying more then the face price JUST to play the whole game.

If it's day 1 DLC, then it's proof that they shelfed the game for a period of time to specifically work on said content for the purpose of getting folks to shell out cash for stuff that could easly already be included in the game.

However, if it's FREE day 1 DLC, then it IS proof of them simply got the game completed and had time to make a few things (and aren't fleecing the fans. I'm looking at YOU EA).
---
"Nonsense, Bagan cannot be defeated". - Aliens: Super Godzilla
Kool Frostbyte - XBL gamer tag.
#5EarthLord_CJPosted 2/25/2013 6:00:06 AM
From what Sakurai's said on the subject, he's not willingly going to develop on-disc DLC for the game, but I don't know how he feels about DLC that's been worked on after the game's release.

But in any case, I'd be willing to pay for it.
---
http://i.imgur.com/qgqVy.jpg
"Don't wanna know...where the sinners go..."
#6MaximumCheddarPosted 2/25/2013 6:52:40 AM
It must fit like this:

1: They put in as much work as they can into the game before shipping it, nothing half assed.

4: Free OPTIONAL compatability downloads so that if, _____ character becomes DLC, people who did not buy said character can still fight online against people who DO own said character.

If it's on Disk DLC, you are obviously paying more then the face price JUST to play the whole game.

If it's day 1 DLC, then it's proof that they shelfed the game for a period of time to specifically work on said content for the purpose of getting folks to shell out cash for stuff that could easly already be included in the game.

However, if it's FREE day 1 DLC, then it IS proof of them simply got the game completed and had time to make a few things (and aren't fleecing the fans. I'm looking at YOU EA).

I agree with pretty much everything you said except for the compatability downloads part. Why make it optional? If some people don't have the compatability patch and go online, that'll deprive the people who own DLC characters from being able to use them, not to mention make it easy for trolls to annoy people by purposely not installing the patch.
#7XaytrondPosted 2/25/2013 6:59:50 AM
It must fit like this:

One thing you and a lot of other people forget though is that DLC almost always has a separate budget. In that case, asking for no day-1 dlc is basically prolonging the time we do get it. I don't think we really need to worry since it isn't Capcom we're dealing with here.
#8EarthLord_CJPosted 2/25/2013 7:09:25 AM
Xaytrond posted...
One thing you and a lot of other people forget though is that DLC almost always has a separate budget. In that case, asking for no day-1 dlc is basically prolonging the time we do get it. I don't think we really need to worry since it isn't Capcom we're dealing with here.

Not claiming to speak for everyone else here, but I'd be completely fine if that were the case, and I'd even encourage it. Means I have a substantial amount of time to get used to the base game and explore the majority of the content it has before a new character (or new anything, really) gets released.
---
http://i.imgur.com/qgqVy.jpg
"Don't wanna know...where the sinners go..."
#9Elec Man EXEPosted 2/25/2013 12:52:45 PM
I would absolutely pay for DLC characters, as long as the price was reasonable (no $10 for one character prices or anything like that). I can't have enough Smash characters
---
~ Master of Electricity ~
Electro: 0518-6613-7620 - Pokemon White
#10JangobadassPosted 2/25/2013 1:04:52 PM
depends on the characters
---
Lara Croft in an M rated game?
ho boy...