Another Roster

#11JaraelRhimirPosted 2/25/2013 9:11:25 PM
DynasticAnthony posted...
JaraelRhimir posted...
Adding Pac-Man but not Mega Man? Epic fail!

Something tells me this is extremely biased. What makes Megaman likelier than Pac-Man? Please elaborate!

Pac-Man has been in the following games on Nintendo consoles: Pac-Attack, Pac-Man 2: The New Adventures, Pac-in-Time, Pac-Man World, Pac-Man Collection, Pac-Man Fever, Pac-Man World 2, Pac-Man Vs., Pac-Pix, Pac-Man Pinball Advance, Pac 'n Roll, Pac-Man World 3, Pac-Man World Rally, Namco Museum Remix, Pac-Man Party, and finally, Pac-Man & Galaga Dimensions. That's sixteen titles in all. But bear in mind how many of them are collections & remakes.

Mega Man (Classic) has been in the following games on Nintendo consoles: Mega Man, Mega Man 2, Mega Man 3, Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge, Mega Man 4, Mega Man II, Mega Man 5, Mega Man III, Mega Man 6, Wily & Right no RockBoard: That's Paradise, Mega Man IV, Mega Man V, Mega Man Soccer, Mega Man 7, Mega Man & Bass, Mega Man 9, and finally, Mega Man 10. That's seventeen titles in all. I readily admit that the GB titles are largely (but not completely) rehashes of the NES titles.

Ultimately, I see Mega Man as more likely because he's more associated with Nintendo. Yes, Pac-Man is more iconic, but he's associated with the Arcade and Atari games. Wheres Mega Man was synonymous with the 8-bit NES days. Add to this that Mega Man is easier to develop a Smash Bros. moveset for than Pac-Man (sliding, shooting, shield weapons, etc. vs. waka-waka-waka-waka).
#12MottmanPosted 2/25/2013 9:17:31 PM
JaraelRhimir posted...
DynasticAnthony posted...
JaraelRhimir posted...
Adding Pac-Man but not Mega Man? Epic fail!

Something tells me this is extremely biased. What makes Megaman likelier than Pac-Man? Please elaborate!

Pac-Man has been in the following games on Nintendo consoles: Pac-Attack, Pac-Man 2: The New Adventures, Pac-in-Time, Pac-Man World, Pac-Man Collection, Pac-Man Fever, Pac-Man World 2, Pac-Man Vs., Pac-Pix, Pac-Man Pinball Advance, Pac 'n Roll, Pac-Man World 3, Pac-Man World Rally, Namco Museum Remix, Pac-Man Party, and finally, Pac-Man & Galaga Dimensions. That's sixteen titles in all. But bear in mind how many of them are collections & remakes.

Mega Man (Classic) has been in the following games on Nintendo consoles: Mega Man, Mega Man 2, Mega Man 3, Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge, Mega Man 4, Mega Man II, Mega Man 5, Mega Man III, Mega Man 6, Wily & Right no RockBoard: That's Paradise, Mega Man IV, Mega Man V, Mega Man Soccer, Mega Man 7, Mega Man & Bass, Mega Man 9, and finally, Mega Man 10. That's seventeen titles in all. I readily admit that the GB titles are largely (but not completely) rehashes of the NES titles.

Ultimately, I see Mega Man as more likely because he's more associated with Nintendo. Yes, Pac-Man is more iconic, but he's associated with the Arcade and Atari games. Wheres Mega Man was synonymous with the 8-bit NES days. Add to this that Mega Man is easier to develop a Smash Bros. moveset for than Pac-Man (sliding, shooting, shield weapons, etc. vs. waka-waka-waka-waka).

If this was strictly about the characters themselves, I would agree with you. However, I am sure part of Anthony's reasoning has to do with the fact that Namco themselves are aiding in the development of this game.

We don't know for sure whether or not that means they will be allowed to have a playable character, but it is a fact that simply must be taken into account here, and cannot be overlooked when making up potential rosters. Namco has involvement with this game: Capcom does not (that we know of yet, anyway).
---
"If a beautiful woman with a big chest is in trouble, save them even if it means your life."
- Shing Meteoryte, Tales of Hearts
#13JaraelRhimirPosted 2/25/2013 9:18:11 PM
...And I forgot to include Mega Man Anniversary Collection, which includes Mega Man 8, Mega Man: The Power Battle and Mega Man 2: The Power Fighters.
#14JaraelRhimirPosted 2/25/2013 9:22:10 PM
I cant say that its entirely out of the realm of possibility that some Capcom character could appear in the next Smash Bros. The big problem, though, comes from the idea of trying to get characters from a completely different universe to fit with the style that has been dictated by Nintendos characters in a fighting game.

In fact, I actually think its a miracle that we got Smash Bros. and all the Nintendo characters to work together in the first place. Especially when you bring Pokemon into the mix and a lot of the complications that are caused by that being an almost completely different entity on its own, its really something. So this is something that obviously will come up more as we get started on the new Smash Bros. development, but keeping those things in mind I think is important. - Masahiro Sakurai
#15PlasmaCannonPosted 2/25/2013 9:25:11 PM
Automatic 10/10 for Lip!
---
Don't forget. Always, somewhere, someone is fighting for you. As long as you remember her, you are not alone.
#16SalsaSavantPosted 2/25/2013 9:25:35 PM
Not bad. Waluigi is a bad choice, but I know you love the Waa man, so I'll be lenient there.

No Mewtwo is disappointing, but perhaps expected. I don't like "Gen 6" Pokemon either, but that's just because we don't know anything about them.

Beyond that, the only questionable choice is Ghirahim, who I like and find a solid choice but not the most likely. I like that he's in there, but I think the haters are right when they say that he isn't the best choice.

Meh...8 out of 10, because I'm being lenient with the Waa man.
---
Not changing this until something impossible happens
Started 12/02/12
#17albertojz356Posted 2/25/2013 11:15:27 PM
I like this roster. 9/10
---
Pauline, Palutena, Medusa, Cptn. Syrup, Mike Jones, Andy, Lip, Eirika, Bayonetta, Mr. Peepers, Micaiah, Birdo, Anna, Lyn, & Shantae for SSB4!
#18LordAlistairPosted 2/25/2013 11:21:12 PM
Few stupid choices like Waluigi and Lip, but you've got all the important ones so it's acceptable.
---
http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/9710/bossqt.jpg
http://www.zeldaeternity.com/2011/05/you-might-be-a-zelda-hipster/
#19Doug314Posted 2/26/2013 1:19:35 AM
There's no reason we shouldn't be able to give something a low score because of one character. If we rate in terms of likeliness, than one character can easily make it lower than almost any amount greater than 0. Waluigi doesn't stand a chance, so the chances of this roster are 0. The rest of the roster is very good though except for the overrated Pac-Man. 5/10 for how much I'd like it but since you asked for based on its actual chances,

I'd say it's about 1/A(4,4), where A is the Ackermann function.
---
Palutena, Isaac, Ridley, King K. Rool, and Anna for SSB Wii U and SSB 3DS!
SSB is the best series ever made!
#20CharizardFirePosted 2/26/2013 1:29:22 AM
Hmmm.... 7/10.

Not bad, but Lip seems somewhat unlikely and Sakurai himself said something along the lines of Animal Crossing characters not being good choices for Smash, which makes any Animal Crossing character unlikely.

There's also the fact that Mewtwo isn't in the roster, and I'm sure Sakurai is aware of the fact that Japanese fans want him back (Smash fans in other areas want Mewtwo back as well, but it's less likely that Sakurai will notice Western fans wanting Mewtwo back). I would bring up Roy as well, since Japanese fans also want him back, but cutting Ike would probably result in an even bigger backlash than cutting Roy caused and it's unlikely that FE will get 4 characters (although it has a good chance of getting 3 characters).

I would've rated it lower, but the inclusion of a Gen 6 Pokmon (instead of Genesect, which seems to be spammed on many rosters right now, despite X and Y coming out worldwide in October) and Takamaru makes it more of a convincing roster.
---
http://i458.photobucket.com/albums/qq303/CharizardFire6/Char-Brawl.gif