This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why does people think that 3-4 reps is too much for Fire Emblem?

#31albertojz356Posted 3/14/2013 11:23:13 PM
VirusLord posted...
As I see it, the Fire Emblem characters with the highest chance for unique playability and the best chances of getting in are: Lyn (first FE Lord presented to the western world, repped her game in Awakening and got in as an AT in Brawl, unique swordplay relative to Marth/Roy/Ike/Chrom), Micaiah (mage Lord from a Wii game), Anna (series mascot, relatively unique reverse-grip style, secret shopkeeper moveset potential), and Tiki (showed up in 5 out of 13 games, putting her ahead of all other non-Anna characters, and uses dragon transformation rather than swords). Ephraim and Hector have potential for not being sword-users, but are less likely to get in. Still, I think that many people overstate things when they say that the only possible FE characters are Marth/Roy/Ike/Chrom.

Five out of the 16 lords are female and ever since they made Lyn they've added more female lords to the series in a higher frequency. There are also several other female characters that have very important and iconic status in the series such as Tiki and Anna like you mentioned. I agree with you and I think that there is definitely a chance that a female character can be a playable newcomer for Smash bros 4.
---
Pauline, Palutena, Medusa, Cptn. Syrup, Mike Jones, Andy, Lip, Eirika, Bayonetta, Mr. Peepers, Micaiah, Birdo, Anna, Lyn, & Shantae for SSB4!
#32LegendofLegaiaPosted 3/15/2013 1:15:12 AM
SpunkySix posted...
Sakurai doesn't see anything about the Lords except advertisement as far as I think.

Fixed.

Also, if that were the case, Roy would have never been considered for Brawl.
---
"It is such a quiet thing, to fall. But far more terrible is to admit it." - Kreia
#33AkanubonOrihPosted 3/15/2013 1:21:09 AM
I feel like they'll probably keep the trend going and merely keep Marth and switch Ike out for Chrom (unless there's a new Fire Emblem game with a new protagonist coming out/recently released when SSB4 comes out).

It may be getting more popular, but it's still one of the less popular series Nintendo has to offer.
---
Like the "100,000 Strong for Bringing Back Mega Man Legends 3" fan page on Facebook! (http://tinyurl.com/3gj2r6g)
#34SpunkySixPosted 3/15/2013 2:00:12 PM
LegendofLegaia posted...
SpunkySix posted...
Sakurai doesn't see anything about the Lords except advertisement as far as I think.

Fixed.

Also, if that were the case, Roy would have never been considered for Brawl.

He was clearly low priority and his entire purpose in Melee was blatant advertisement. What other reason does he have to make Lords the only playables? There's plenty of other important characters. I'd like to think he doesn't confine his consideration to only characters with a specific title for the heck of it.

Also, the phrase "as far as I know" implies some doubt to begin with. That edit was redundant.
---
Tissue to the extreme!
I'd like to be a tree.
#35LegendofLegaiaPosted 3/15/2013 2:18:03 PM(edited)
SpunkySix posted...
He was clearly low priority and his entire purpose in Melee was blatant advertisement.

Again, he wouldn't have been planned at all if his only purpose was to be an advertisement, as there was no reason to advertise Sword of Seals at the time (at least not any more than Blazing Sword or Sacred Stones).

If Sakurai was only concerned about advertising new games, then Micaiah would have been considered before Roy.

Also:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=37915502&postcount=7506

Leaf was considered as Marth's clone, but when Sakurai went to Intelligent Systems for approval they gave him an early look at the GBA Fire Emblem, and he agreed that Roy would be a better fit. Sakurai mentions his fire properties as making him stand out.

He was more concerned about including a Marth clone that would feel at least somewhat unique.

What other reason does he have to make Lords the only playables?

Maybe because main protagonists are more important than side characters?

I'd like to think he doesn't confine his consideration to only characters with a specific title for the heck of it.

Read the reason given above.
---
"It is such a quiet thing, to fall. But far more terrible is to admit it." - Kreia
#36SpunkySixPosted 3/15/2013 3:36:33 PM
Without the main villains the heroes have no call and nothing in the game ever happens. If Sakurai only considers Lords just because they are Lords, then his thinking is too narrow because there are other characters in FE games that are just as important. Heck, a certain Palidan was about as important as any of the Lords in Sacred Stones, and he wasn't even a villain. Surely SS isn't the only game that has any extremely important, non main playable characters in it, correct?
---
Tissue to the extreme!
I'd like to be a tree.
#37epik_fail1(Topic Creator)Posted 3/15/2013 3:42:55 PM
SpunkySix posted...
Without the main villains the heroes have no call and nothing in the game ever happens. If Sakurai only considers Lords just because they are Lords, then his thinking is too narrow because there are other characters in FE games that are just as important. Heck, a certain Palidan was about as important as any of the Lords in Sacred Stones, and he wasn't even a villain. Surely SS isn't the only game that has any extremely important, non main playable characters in it, correct?

I have to agree on this, it sucks that it seems that Sakurai think only Lord characters are worthy of being playable.
---
Mewtwo, Lucario and Zoroark (or) Victini all deserve to be in SSB4
People who agree : 37
#38LegendofLegaiaPosted 3/15/2013 3:45:06 PM
SpunkySix posted...
Without the main villains the heroes have no call and nothing in the game ever happens.

Yes, but villains have significantly less screentime compared to what the main characters in the game have.

Just because the story couldn't happen without the villains doesn't mean they're on the same level as the main protagonists. Otherwise, the Deku Tree in OoT was just as important as Link because without him, Link would have never set off to save Hyrule.

If Sakurai only considers Lords just because they are Lords, then his thinking is too narrow because there are other characters in FE games that are just as important. Heck, a certain Palidan was about as important as any of the Lords in Sacred Stones, and he wasn't even a villain. Surely SS isn't the only game that has any extremely important, non main playable characters in it, correct?

I'm not seeing your point. If the paladin is "just as important" (I'll only assume you're correct about this, as I haven't played SS yet), then why should there be incentive to add them over a Lord in the first place?
---
#39SpunkySixPosted 3/15/2013 3:56:23 PM
LegendofLegaia posted...
SpunkySix posted...
Without the main villains the heroes have no call and nothing in the game ever happens.

Yes, but villains have significantly less screentime compared to what the main characters in the game have.

Just because the story couldn't happen without the villains doesn't mean they're on the same level as the main protagonists. Otherwise, the Deku Tree in OoT was just as important as Link because without him, Link would have never set off to save Hyrule.

If Sakurai only considers Lords just because they are Lords, then his thinking is too narrow because there are other characters in FE games that are just as important. Heck, a certain Palidan was about as important as any of the Lords in Sacred Stones, and he wasn't even a villain. Surely SS isn't the only game that has any extremely important, non main playable characters in it, correct?

I'm not seeing your point. If the paladin is "just as important" (I'll only assume you're correct about this, as I haven't played SS yet), then why should there be incentive to add them over a Lord in the first place?

Lyon had less screen time, but still appears and interacts with the Lords numerous times, (enough to be recognizable) and acts as a climactic boss twice, once as the final boss. Plus he fueled the entire plot and got a ton of mentions from other high profile characters. He has more than enough to be considered and despite being nonplayable in SS, he is more than recognizable and memorable to anybody who played SS that doesn't have memory loss issues.

I said considered. If unique gameplay was the reason Roy was considered, then why is the equally important in his game Paladin not heavily considered when he has even more differentiation potential? Why should Lords be the only ones who are considered just because they are Lords?
---
Tissue to the extreme!
I'd like to be a tree.
#40LegendofLegaiaPosted 3/15/2013 4:16:09 PM(edited)
SpunkySix posted...
Lyon had less screen time, but still appears and interacts with the Lords numerous times, (enough to be recognizable) and acts as a climactic boss twice, once as the final boss. Plus he fueled the entire plot and got a ton of mentions from other high profile characters. He has more than enough to be considered and despite being nonplayable in SS, he is more than recognizable and memorable to anybody who played SS that doesn't have memory loss issues.

While he's definitely important to Sacred Stones, he is still not a main protagonist.

Put it into this perspective. Would it make any sense what-so-ever to include Ganondorf in Smash Bros. before Link or Bowser before Mario?

I don't see how it's that much different here. And if they did add Erika and Ephraim before going with the main villain, then three out of the four Fire Emblem reps would be coming from only one game in the entire series (barring DLC in Awakening). I'd say that would be a much worse representation of the series than just having characters who happen to use the same type of weapon.

I said considered. If unique gameplay was the reason Roy was considered, then why is the equally important in his game Paladin not heavily considered when he has even more differentiation potential? Why should Lords be the only ones who are considered just because they are Lords?

*Sigh* I guess I worded myself poorly there.

Roy was a clone of Marth, but he was able to somewhat set himself apart from Marth because of his PH1I3E from the Sword of Seals, which was something Leaf didn't have.

The reason why clones in general were put in the game was because they take significantly less time and resources to include than a character with a completely unique moveset (a fact that many people on this website love to completely disregard). Naturally, a non-mounted sword user would be a perfect fit as a Marth clone, and why bother having a non-main protagonist fill that role?
---